Tent and Awning Light Research

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, i am currently doing coursework for my Design and Technology GCSE. I have created a new product called the 'HyperBeam'. It is a torch with a normal light mode and also a mode where you turn it on and hang it up and when motion is detected near or in the tent / awning, the light turns on and lights up the area. This can be used to deter thieves or just to help you see when you are near. I need opinions on this design idea and i would appreciate it greatly if you could help out. It will not take long and it will really help me. Thanks https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/5R5CHH6  

Posted

Good idea however most caravans have a awning light anyway.  Also many caravan sites have lights so no need even for a normal torch.  On many camp sites wildlife i.e. rabbits etc running past at night will trigger the light which could then annoy people. It needs a setting to limit the distance and the size of the object being detected.  BTW if it is hanging up outside the unit, what is going to stop someone walking off with it?   It may find a niche market.

Posted

Not going to be as negative as Surfer 

BUT 

Good idea for inside the awning when you don't want to leave lights on (when you are on battery only for example when on a rally) the PIR sensor is a good idea  but I feel it will not deter anyone who wants to steal something 

BUT where you could apply your ideas to produce a kit to do this ......

I am considering LED strip light to illuminate our wind out awning when we are sitting in it  - my problem there is simply how to wire it up to cope with being 

a/ watertight

b/ able to be rolled up or folded on the awning arms 

c/ low wattage but high light output

Posted

I was pointing out flaws and hopefully adding constructive criticism which IMHO will help them think outside the box and come up with a better solution.  I appreciate the the person is only at GCSE stage, but it is at this point that they need input which helps them learn and better prepares them for life on the outside.

Posted

On a second read I agree but last night I read and replied as I felt but think we both had some constructive feedback 

Posted

On a second read I agree but last night I read and replied as I felt but think we both had some constructive feedback 

No problem as sometimes I put things across and they do not turn out the way I actually meant them to be. Problem when you are brought up in a bi-lingual country :laugh4:

1 person likes this