Dog to France

14 posts in this topic

Posted

We are in the process of getting back into dog ownership . and one of the things to address is pet passport as we HOPE to be off to France in July

I am struggling to understand the requirements for taking a dog to France, and the time scale for outward and return processes Firstly if things remain as they are , then if there is a “No Deal” exit .

, And then should   we  even plan to get a dog before July

In simple terms once having got a passport ( our vet will charge around £150)what is next , and on return do we have to visit a French vet .

If no deal I guess that it will back to the dark ages with long periods of quarantine

Posted

No deal will mean even longer for checks for the passports for dogs according to DEFRA 

I would suggest you wait until we are absolutely certain what the heck is going to happen and when

Posted

If you are getting a puppy then they have to be 6 months, iirc, before they can get the rabies injection and have it signed off on the passport.

Our vet issued our passport at 3 months but with no rabies stamp, we were going to Ireland  with the dog before he was 6 months and wanted some ID.

At the moment there are no checks on the way out but on return you have to visit a vet for a health check and a tablet and it has to be between 24 and 72 hours before you check in and the passport and chip are checked at pet check in.

Ian

Posted

No deal will mean even longer for checks for the passports for dogs according to DEFRA 

I would suggest you wait until we are absolutely certain what the heck is going to happen and when

I am trying to work out why it will be even longer for checks for passports for dogs?

Posted

I am trying to work out why it will be even longer for checks for passports for dogs?

Simple the readies checks have two levels and apparently they are expecting that the EU will demand the longer check period 

Posted

How can they make the check any longer as all they do is open the passport, check for the relevant stamps, scan the dog for the microchip to make sure it is the same dog and you are on your way!  Another scare story I think probably started by a Remainer and then passed onto you?  :lol:

Posted

As irritating as it is ,looks like ,by the time things are sorted ,it will be too late to get a dog ,and be ready in time to be able to take it with us on holiday , and kennels for a newly acquired dog is out of the question.

Hmmmm

Posted

Now we are really taking a chance ,saw a Labradoodle first cross pup Saturday and could not resist it ,so collecting Saturday.

Now the fun begins 

Posted

We had the blood test carried out yesterday for the rabies anti bodies, £160, so I hope he passes.

Ian

Posted

We had the blood test carried out yesterday for the rabies anti bodies, £160, so I hope he passes.

Ian

If that is the cost for one dog, that is going to be a real killer as we have 3 Yorkies.   Does the blood test have to be done every time after a rabies injection even if it is a booster?

Posted

That was for one dog, £120 for the lab test and £40 admin so you may get a discount for three on the admin.

Only valid until the next rabies jab.

And they may fail and require another rabies jab followed by another blood test.

Ian

Posted

That was for one dog, £120 for the lab test and £40 admin so you may get a discount for three on the admin.

Only valid until the next rabies jab.

And they may fail and require another rabies jab followed by another blood test.

Ian

So even before you set sail you will have the cost of the rabies injection which only lasts a year then the blood test.  For us that would mean a cost in the region of over £500!  I think that these extra costs may put some people off visiting France.

As a 'by the way' if we put the dogs into kennels for a month, the cost works is over £1000 and then we have the cost of the two cats in a cattery.  Add on the cost of the dogs per day at some campsites in France and Spain there is not much of a choice for us either way. :sad2:

Posted

Rabies jab is valid for three years Ian.

If we couldn’t take the dog we would not go.

Ian

Posted

Rabies jab is valid for three years Ian.

If we couldn’t take the dog we would not go.

Ian

As per some of the many many rumours apparently if Brexit happens, it may be reduced to one year.  We can accept the blood test once but to have it every time the dogs are given the rabies shot would be a bit much.  When we lived in Southern Africa the dogs had to have regular rabies injections but never had to have blood tests and rabies is more prevalent in southern Africa than in Europe.