Reverse polarity

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

Our do you known when in France or Spain if the electricity is reversed polarity.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Hi

Our do you known when in France or Spain if the electricity is reversed polarity.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Things don't work,

I always carried a reversed wired connector but out of the last 9 sites in France I found only one reversed polarity site,and that wasn't a municipal but a major holiday venue. Never had one in Spain,Holland,Luxembourg or Germany.  

geoff

Posted

Things don't work,

I always carried a reversed wired connector but out of the last 9 sites in France I found only one reversed polarity site,and that wasn't a municipal but a major holiday venue. Never had one in Spain,Holland,Luxembourg or Germany.  

geoff

Geoff

You are luckythen mate

We have spent a lot of times at sites in France and Spain only (Netherlands,Germany and Lichtenstein being added this year) 

We have had around 50% of the sites in Spain, and around 60% of French sites with reverse polarity  

A polarity tester is a must and a home made patch lead as you can't buy a polarity reversing lead is the solution 

For European caravans there's no worries as they have dual pole switches which switch both the live and Negative on and off , whereas the UK vans have the standard UK switched live only sockets 

I know on one French site (a supposedly ECO site ) we had a box of 9 sockets to choose from and only one was safe for a UK van every other socket was wired up differently 

We had simple reverse polarity on around 6 Spanish sites including the one we visit in Benidorm and have been there 5 times and it's still wired up reversed

Posted

My you do get the short straws!

The one French site we experienced problems (not really) had the correct polarity on one side of the bollard and reverse on the other, many of the ralliers had not been to a French site before and that threw them.

geoff

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a polarity checker and a change over lead and have never used them. 

It is safe to use reverse polarity and only becomes unsafe if you are poking around live circuits.

Ian

1 person likes this

Posted

We have never bothered with reverse polarity as no intention of poking around live circuits.  It should not affect most caravanners, but there is always the exceptional smart ar**!  :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank You for replies,  Have purchased a plug in tester. Already have a reverse adaptor cable which was left in van by previous owners. Do always carry a electric test meter with me but don't want to be prodding electric circuits if no need to.

Again thank You for replies.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

1 person likes this