Windows 7 EOL date announced.

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Microsoft withdrawing support, other than by contract, from 14th January 2020.

geoff

Posted (edited)

That is sure to upset several of my friends who resisted the free update to Win 10 or too readily changed back to 7 because 10 kept updating; which of course was the plan with 10 to keep users updated and by so protected.

That said, 7 I always felt was the most user friendly, offering they ever had.

Edited by Ocsid
1 person likes this

Posted

Not long since I gave up MSDOS !!

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been on 10 for a while but hate the fact my laptop cannot cope with the upgrades windows sends out and there seems very little you can do to turn them off so every few weeks it attempts the upgrade fails and reverts back to previous state.

Posted

Not long since I gave up MSDOS !!

Showing your age again Ted!

geoff

Posted (edited)

I have been on 10 for a hate the fact my laptop cannot cope with the windows sends out and there seems very little you can do to turn them off so every few weeks it attempts the upgrade fails and reverts back to previous state.

I have found this with machines running low spec processors like Atoms etc with 1 or 2 GB of memory and typically 32 bit system; they really are struggling as 10 develops.

Instead of junking these obsolete computers I have with mine and two friends opted these machines out of Windows completely and changed to a simpler version of Linux, one suitable for 32 bit systems. The one I use is version 16 of Ubuntu Mate, the last  incarnation they have for a 32 bit version.

Linux is not Windows and requires a bit of mental adapting, unfortunately that is one of the challenges some Win 7 users have for not  changing to Win 10. However, for the limited task they and many more actually need a computer for, these new skills have proved quite easy to learn.

Getting there from Windows is a tad technical, but with a bit of help I suspect not too challenging and it is well documented on the internet. Typically it is initiated via a USB stick drive one creates on any Windows machine, and the Ubuntu -Mate can be run from the stick before or instead of committing to change the computer's operating system finally over to it. If in doubt get one of the more computer savvy friends or kids to create you a USB stick with this free operating system and set your old computer up to "boot" from the USB stick; try it and see if it is for you, but give yourself a chance to familiarise with its easy but slightly different operation.

Certainly it gives these old machines not up to coping with Win 10's development a new lease of life, for the more routine tasks many of us need.

Edited by Ocsid
1 person likes this

Posted

What I find very annoying is that when you away and Win 10 does an update, it uses up a lot of your allowance and also everything comes to a virtual stop while the update is being downloaded!  Annoying when you are trying to get onto a banking site! :sad2:

1 person likes this

Posted

What I find very annoying is that when you away and Win 10 does an update, it uses up a lot of your allowance and also everything comes to a virtual stop while the update is being downloaded!  Annoying when you are trying to get onto a banking site! :sad2:

Easily addressed; settings > updates > advanced > then toggle automatic updates to off, for whilst you are away.

Posted

True but the problem is remembering to do so when away.  Only remember when laptop slows down due to update and then it si too late.  :undecided:

Posted

True but the problem is remembering to do so when away.  Only remember when laptop slows down due to update and then it si too late.  :undecided:

The shutdown function should work as soon as we dawn that all is not well, and even if not 6 seconds on the off switch will sort it.:;):

Or leave it in the automatic off and set Google to remind you to do a manual update search every fortnight?

Posted

If you always use the same connection you could try setting the internet to a metered connection. This will prevent any heavy downloads. I use this for when I have my laptop connected to my phone. Thus far it seems to have worked.

David