Wouldn't want this is front of you

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Edited by markf
1 person likes this

Posted

Isn't the new Ranger a cross between the VW Amarok and Ranger due to a shared platform or is it the other way around?

Posted

SsangYong Rexton been able to tow 3.5 ton for years. Miles cheaper, mine done 170,000 miles still going strong

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Met something similar travelling in France when unfortunately we came on  a CC rally going between sites, just had some towcar interposed at every link!

Posted

Sadly the standard ALKO chassis used on so many (most?) European caravans wouldn't allow for towing a "train" like that!

And most Aussie caravans have a chassis built like a tank, which is admittedly a bit OTT and a waste of weight.

Personally I would prefer to see a chassis engineered to be in between the two (AU and EU) types.

On South African roads one quite often used to see "trains" of Caravans being chased by Speedboats (with the speedboats sometimes out-sizing the caravans) but the culture over there is, shall we say, a lot more relaxed when it comes to the specification and enforcement regulations.

Posted

Andy, believe me "our" chassis are far from adequate for the UKs roads. Whilst the nation's pothole infrastructure that we are going big time developing is not yet quite as well developed as I found in Kenya for example, we are getting it there.

From experience they are okay for their country of origin Germany, and a couple of its near neighbours, however, it's so often knocked out of kilter here over our side of the channel.

Posted

On South African roads one quite often used to see "trains" of Caravans being chased by Speedboats (with the speedboats sometimes out-sizing the caravans) but the culture over there is, shall we say, a lot more relaxed when it comes to the specification and enforcement regulations.

According to the SA 4x4 forum where I am subscribed, it is almost non existent.

Posted

According to the SA 4x4 forum where I am subscribed, it is almost non existent.

I suppose that's what they call "progress" Ian, the faceless lawyers trying to make our lives miserable .

A real pity, as I enjoyed the "relaxed" specification and enforcement of regulations, I knew back then.

Posted

I suppose that's what they call "progress" Ian, the faceless lawyers trying to make our lives miserable .

A real pity, as I enjoyed the "relaxed" specification and enforcement of regulations, I knew back then.

We were there in March/April last year and rules were ignored.  Generally when coming up to a green light you slowed down and checked to make sure it was safe to cross and that a taxi was not going to wipe you out!  No such thing as speed limits or lane discipline.