MOTORHOME SECURITY

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi

As I have already had my car broken into by smashing glass rear window in France.

I have been looking at some security devices that don't cost the earth and have no wires to wire in.

Leaving it a bit late as taking 2 month trip around France and Spain, in 2 weeks.

Have looking at stick on widow sensors.

I can be heavy sleeper don't want burglars sneaking about while asleep, when wife was alive she would be woken at a pin drop.

Not thinking of using sites till get to Southern Spain as want to explore might use one of them Aries if pass one.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Edited by MONTYSA
Added to

Posted

We have little window alarms on each window , set off a high pitch noise when opened .

Posted

We have our normal alarm / tracker/ immobiliser system from Outsmart the thief 

it comes with a PIR alarm for the hab space

wireless magnetic contacts on locker doors 

built in tracker with 24 hour ops centre

an immobiliser which you set with your phone when set NO key fob /alarm fob will work 

also a panic button (places where YOU want) 

the best thing is the immobiliser can be operated totally remotely and if some scroat does nick the van you activate it and when the van stops - say at traffic lights or a junction the van dies and the alarm sounds 

So no need for little extras

although may consider the padlock on the drivers seat when turned inwards would make it awkward to drive

Posted

We have little window alarms on each window , set off a high pitch noise when opened .

Thanks for reply, what make are the window alarms.

Posted

Not thinking of using sites till get to Southern Spain as want to explore might use one of them Aries if pass one.

Sadly if this means solo "camping" on route then IMO you are  making yourself just the target they are on the look out for, the more so as you are yourself solo. Use those Aries, the ones specifically for MH stopovers.

Spend a few quid on an Aries guide and then a modicum of time planning for each upcoming night as the journey develops, that still offers some exploring but at reduced risk.

Posted (edited)

I would never ever again use an Aire in France, even in a so called secure area...one exception might be Baie de Somme.. We have had people chased away from underneath our 'van,by lorry drivers. Friends have been broken into twice and my mate didn't have his 'van broken into but his car was.....

geoff 

"Use those Aries, the ones specifically for MH stopovers." The OP has a caravan,not allowed on Aires de Service."

Edited by shipbroker

Posted

"Use those Aries, the ones specifically for MH stopovers." The OP has a caravan,not allowed on Aires de Service."

Oh sorry, I was just basing my response on the subject of the thread, "Motorhome Security".

Posted

Oh sorry, I was just basing my response on the subject of the thread, "Motorhome Security".

Fooled me too,,,only when I looked at the posting that it twigged!

geoff

Posted (edited)

Geoff,

A little researching Monty's earlier threads  does indicate  post  the sad loss of his wife, he is venturing off down the motor home route, great.

Edited by Ocsid

Posted

Well didn't make my holiday had rear tyre blow out about 30 miles from Newhaven, Port. Took the plastic molding of side of van and destroyed Nearside rear inner wing. Not had much lack lately. Tyres 4 1/2 years old with plenty of tread, just unlucky.

Posted

First, I am so sorry to be sitting here reading this, it is not as if you haven't had much more than your quota of misfortune, hope you break out of that ASAP.

Have you got a TPMS?

If a caravan, these are IMO a very big asset as even picking up a small, slow puncture will lead to tyre failure  with a pseudo "blow out" long before you have any hint of it. Without some warning punctured caravan tyres are wrecked by overheating long before we are aware they are being so distressed and damaged, and as said way before they finally give up big style.