"May " need international driving licence in Europe

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

From BBC News web site

The government is encouraging all British driving licence holders who live in the EU to exchange their licence for a local EU driving licence as soon as possible, in case there is a "no deal" Brexit.

It is also warning people who live in the UK that if they want to drive in Europe after March, they may need an international driving permit (IDP) in some countries.

In the guidance, which was updated today, the government warned UK drivers: "From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries."

It also said that UK driving licence holders living in the EU from 29 March "may have to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in to be able to carry on driving there."

"You should consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU driving licence as soon as possible."

Increased demand may lead to longer processing times and delays to exchanging driving licences the closer it is to 29 March 2019," the guidance adds.

£5.50 at Post Office

Edited by Rodders

Posted

There is full No Deal advive on the government website 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Gives chapter and verse and where to get them IF needed 

Posted

Strange that as a UK citizen you would need an IDL for many countries in the EU however with my South African driving I can drive in most of the EU for 6 months?  Certainly France, Germany, Holland, Belgium and a couple of others.

Posted

The worse thing than that French residents get their IDP FREE and only have one for all areas

Posted

Speaking to my insurance co ,LV. They are recommending having a "green card" for the time being if you are traveling directly after brexit day , we are so I have.

Posted

We are going away on the 7th April . I have made enquiries at my local post office about IDP . They didn’t know anything about it or where to get it . I can’t wait until the last minute so I wil try and sort this out as soon as possible .

back to the sad old days of what we used to have to do . What a shame .:undecided:

1 person likes this

Posted

We didn’t need one before we joined the EU and we didn’t  even have photos in them. I only had an IDP for the USA and Asia.

Ian

1 person likes this

Posted

I have my IDP now from the post office . I did need to go to another town for it . Also needed was a new passport photo .

i was also renewing my car insurance and asked for a green card . I was told they are not doing them yet and didn’t think I would need one . So I will have to wait for this and just hope if I do that it won’t be too late .

i would rather be prepared than not . 

Posted

You can do many things Online using governmental websites so why not an IDL?