GVW

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

Just spotted on drivers door pillar a white sticker with vehicle gross weights says 3500kg my log book says 3850kg also reviews on it states 3850kg.

I'm a bit confused.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

What does it say on the plate that is fixed permanently onto the body of the vehicle.  A fixed plated over rides any sticker which can easily be removed.  The previous owner may have downplated it so that they could drive the vehicle on a B licence.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi

The plate on door pillar is this original plate they come like that now.

Plate says

3500 kg

5500 kg

First Axle 1870

Rear Axle 2060.

My weight at moment

Front Axle 1780 kg

Rear Axle 1980 kg

Gross weight 3760 kg

As 3500 is the only plate on vehicle and V5 logbook definitely says 3850 have to look further into this.

Has anyone else noted this,  I can't be the only one or am I.

When I pick up my Motor Scooter couple of days time will be adding another 75kg.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Happy Caravanning

Posted

15448279221102651680079560869297.jpg

Posted

It seems that there is something weird with the weights on your vehicle which is why I suspect it may have been downplated.  At 70 don't they downgrade your licence unless you specifically ask them not to which could be an issue.  Can't remember what happens but next year I reach that milestone and would want to keep my B+E.

Posted

It seems that there is something weird with the weights on your vehicle which is why I suspect it may have been downplated.  At 70 don't they downgrade your licence unless you specifically ask them not to which could be an issue.  Can't remember what happens but next year I reach that milestone and would want to keep my B+E.

Hi

I'm thinking other way round now. My son who is MOT tester says they now use stick on weight plates.

Probably on there now is original plate when made as chassis cab and supplied to Mobilvette then put on body. After Motorhome built they registered it with authorities as now being 3860kg but did not put on new weight plate. But this is only a theory, so need to look at getting proper plate.

At 70 you need to fill in medical form D4 to drive over 3500 kgs. There are other people other than your doctor's as they can charge lots of money. Just look up HGV medical they do the over 70 as well. Cost me £65 last year to keep my HGV licence, don't know why, as don't work anymore.

I will reach 70 in 3 years time flying by when you get old.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Hi

I'm thinking other way round now. My son who is MOT tester says they now use stick on weight plates.

Probably on there now is original plate when made as chassis cab and supplied to Mobilvette then put on body. After Motorhome built they registered it with authorities as now being 3860kg but did not put on new weight plate. But this is only a theory, so need to look at getting proper plate.

At 70 you need to fill in medical form D4 to drive over 3500 kgs. There are other people other than your doctor's as they can charge lots of money. Just look up HGV medical they do the over 70 as well. Cost me £65 last year to keep my HGV licence, don't know why, as don't work anymore.

I will reach 70 in 3 years time flying by when you get old.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Thanks as unlikely to drive vehicle over 3500kg however the train weight of our combination unit is about 4850kgs.

Posted

Thanks as unlikely to drive vehicle over 3500kg however the train weight of our combination unit is about 4850kgs.

Yes your def need medical then.

Posted

Yes your def need medical then.

I have checked and can still retain my B+E driving licence without having to do a test and can tow our combination.  Medical only applies if I want to keep my C1 category licence.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have checked and can still retain my B+E driving licence without having to do a test and can tow our combination.  Medical only applies if I want to keep my C1 category licence.

Yes it looks like only effects over 3500kg Motorhome 

Posted (edited)

That is correct, you retain the B + E even without a medical, other than self certification to a number of specific questions.

The post 70 limit unless you do otherwise allows you to drive a vehicle up to 3500 kgs, and if you previously had B + E tow whatever that can vehicle can tow. So us caravanners have no real issue in ageing, however MHers may well want to drive a vehicle over 3500 kgs, there post 70 they need to pass the medical to retain the appropriate licence.

The OPs MH might well be a vehicle capable of being rated at 3850 kgs, but I suspect a previous owner had to have it downplated to 3500 kgs because they for whatever reason had not the C1 licence. This is very common, but often puts immense challenges on the owner keeping within that 3500 kgs in a vehicle designed for 350 kgs more. Three hundred and fifty off the originally intended payload is a huge amount requiring a lot of discipline and a light weight partner for those lucky enough to travel with company, as they are "payload".

It will not be legal over 3500 kgs till officially replated.

Edited by Ocsid

Posted

The only plate is the original Renault plate made as a chassis cab before conversion.

If it hand been downplated log book would show 3500kg and road tax would not be £165 for a PrivateHGV witch it is.

A very confused Caravaner

P_20181203_115924.jpg

Posted

Unless I am mistaken, the chassis maker's plate is what everything will be judged by during any roadside check.

The V5 could be useful "evidence" in getting it replated.

Could be interesting what the insurers think they are insuring, particularly so if facing a claim and running over the plated weight?

With few exceptions I believe the vehicle chassis maker is the only one able to issue a new chassis plate, so Renault could still be the supplier of the new plate, even post the chassis leaving their factory. So the HM maker could have got the new plate to market it as a 3500 kg MH, or a previous owner could have ordered it themselves.

But presently IMO from the figures provided you are running just a 3500 kgs MH, ( with a 2000 kgs towing limit), albeit one that could be up rated back to 3850 kgs.

What were you sold by the dealer, that could be your route to getting it back to 3850 kgs if that is what they sold.

Posted (edited)

Hi

Purchased it Private.

As of the plates I purchased a brand new Caravan from Grantham Caravans in September it was a dealer special which was a upgraded special with a lot more in it. It had the original Swift manufacturers plate by bottom of door, but in front gas bottle locker was another plate with higher max weight. So 2 plates.

The van was a upgraded Swift Major 4SB, called Siena.

My Motorhome started life as Demonstrators loaned to Magazines to be road tested and reviewed no mention of 3500kg.

Been in touch with Marquis Devon not much help there just saying it 3850kg. Look for plate should be there somewhere.

Also messaged Mobilvette probably get no reply from them.

Has anyone had there Motorhome down plated if so does it show the lower weight in log book. Also was the class changed to pay the extra road tax. I can't believe if vehicle not Private HGV the authorities would let you get away with paying less.

Still think second plate was not attached or hidden somewhere.

If it said in log book 3500kg I would believe it had been down graded.

Still confused.

Edited by MONTYSA
Spell check changing words

Posted

Think may be getting closer to missing weight plate.

There should be two plates on Motorhome.

The original Manufacturers plate for base vehicle and a second Stage or Fase 2 plate Body builders.

Mine should be just inside the habitation entrance door it is not and can't see any marks were it has been.

Now got to try and get one bet that won't be easy.

Posted

What mine should look like but with dif figures of cause.

20181216_204411.jpg