ELECTRIC BIKES IN FRANCE AND SPAIN

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

Has anyone had any problems with using electric bike in Spain or France like being pulled by police.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

My wife as taken her electric bike which has a throttle on and has never had any problems with the police. We were told a couple of years ago that if the police were around not to use the throttle. We have not even noticed the police taking any more or less notice of her at any time.

Les

Posted

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/electric-bikes-differences-law/

Two years old but seems relevant to Spain...have heard of ebikes being hired in Spain but they need Insurance, or so I was told.

geoff

Posted

In Spain any NEW ebike with a throttle is classed as a Moped and so needs to be registered and insured as such BUT if you are English you follow UK laws except for speed in which the law is local (in some places by town and/or region 

Just don't go over 15mph 

Posted

My bike is illegal in Europe and UK as newer than 2016 after that must be pedalec

With my Arthritis I need the throttle to pull away.  In my manual I read last night it says if using in main land Europe disconnect throttle. So going to purchase a Yamaha 125 Delight. If electric bike is classed as motorcycle over there might as well use a Motor scooter be able to explore further a field. Just got to make more room in Motorhome garage for it.

To be honest can only travel about 5 miles on electric bike there and back.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

1 person likes this

Posted

My bike is illegal in Europe and UK as newer than 2016 after that must be pedalec

With my Arthritis I need the throttle to pull away.  In my manual I read last night it says if using in main land Europe disconnect throttle. So going to purchase a Yamaha 125 Delight. If electric bike is classed as motorcycle over there might as well use a Motor scooter be able to explore further a field. Just got to make more room in Motorhome garage for it.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

I believe under EU/British regs you still can have the throttle function if that is limited to 6 kph, for that very task of getting moving before the pedlec feature is used.

So, is your throttle just that or a full throttle? Post 2016 it should never have been retailed as a pedlec if fitted with a full throttle.

Ours, a 2015 is even by today's regs fully legal with no throttle at all and I have never had or even thought of issues using it in France, though have a lot.

Posted

Hi

Got full throttle,  Only purchased the bike to go to shop or short cycle ride when had Motorhome and Caravan wife was not happy about Motorhome, only used Motorhome for days out or weekend so Electric bike was fine on back of it. She preferred Caravan. Now that she has past away I have Sold both and purchased a newer Motorhome. Went away in Motorhome couple of times and used electric bike but find want to explore further a field while abroad, so buying a125cc  Scooter Tuesday.

Keeping electric bike as well.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted (edited)

A 125 cc Scooter!   On your GVW thread it looks if that will not be going with you, even if you get the MH replated to 3850 KGs.

Assuming the scooter is going on the back rather than in the middle of the MH, ie forward of the rear axle, that axle is not going to take the load. Unless of course a great deal is coming out from the figures you quoted.

The MH's rear overhang means a lot more than the scooters  + racks weight will be acting onto the rear axle; levers and all that multiply weights seen by the rear axle, And even without the multiplier effect there is only a 80 kg margin now.

Edited by Ocsid

Posted

Happy Caravanning

Monty

There is a solution somewhere that you get your electric cycle classed as a disabled use vehicle 

but now I have noticed lots of bikes have a throttle to set off only then resort to needing the peddles moving (not providing power just moving) 

Posted

A 125 cc Scooter!   On your GVW thread it looks if that will not be going with you, even if you get the MH replated to 3850 KGs.

Assuming the scooter is going on the back rather than in the middle of the MH, ie forward of the rear axle, that axle is not going to take the load. Unless of course a great deal is coming out from the figures you quoted.

The MH's rear overhang means a lot more than the scooters  + racks weight will be acting onto the rear axle; levers and all that multiply weights seen by the rear axle, And even without the multiplier effect there is only a 80 kg margin now.

Have weighted  Motorhome with all in full fuel and water tank. Scooter will not be on rack at back but inside Garage close to rear wheels taking out electric bike 25kg, Generator never used it, large fold up Solar panel never used. Scooter weights 99kg.

Will put on weigh bridge again.

IMG-20181214-WA0000.jpeg

20181216_171804.jpg

Posted

Hi

Put on weigh bridge again with Scooter on board rear axle 2060kg which is right on the mark will remove some item though as would prefer to be a little under than be exact

Still got Heavy folding boxed solar panel on board. Would I need to carry it around Europe next month never used it yet came with Motorhome when purchased it. Also don't think will get a reception on my Sat dish in Spain so could leave that behind.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

If I remember correct if you have passed your car driving licence you automatically got a learner status for a motorbike.  In effect this should mean you can travel at full throttle on a e-bike.  However you have need things like an IDL after Brexit etc.

Posted

On my full car licence, i have a full licence for a moped or scooter up to 50cc, to ride a 125 on L plates in the UK it is compulsory to take a CBT test every 2 years, unless you take your bike test.