French toll roads

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi

Think about going to Spain in New year driving though France.  I am a bit confused about toll roads I now have a Motorhome Mobilvetta Kimu 102. The dimensions are GVW 3850, Height 3.09m, Length 6.95m.

Under what class would it be.

Trying to work out where it best to drive down though France or get Ferry from Portsmouth to Spain would prefer to drive through France.

But it looks like my Motorhome is in the higher class for Toll roads.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Edited by MONTYSA

Posted

I think the issue they will concentrate on is the height, pity it is 90 mm over the trigger point. I believe it is the basic height they use, allowing a bit of extra if things like aerials.

See this, it is in French but reasonably understandable:

https://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/ASFA CLASSE VEHICULE BD.pdf

Posted

Hi 

Looks like I full into class 4 sounds like it will be expensive 3in to high and 350kg over weight.

I wonder what the extra expensive will be.

Might measure it fully loaded might loose 3 inches.

Still got the extra weight do they check on that.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

You could always use the intercom and just ask the question Class 2?  It might work but technically you are over on two counts height and weight!

David

Posted

I doubt they will worry, know or think about the weight aspect, IMO for motorhomes it is all focused on what the height sensors detect.

Posted

Hi

Think I got it wrong, think I would come under class 3 not class 4 quite a lot of difference between the cost of 2 and 3.

They must have a safety margin for measuring I wonder what it is. As properly be less than 3inches fully loaded.

As going on own wanted to get automatic payment as don't want to have to get out and holding up traffic.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Hi

Think about going to Spain in New year driving though France.  I am a bit confused about toll roads I now have a Motorhome Mobilvetta Kimu 102. The dimensions are GVW 3850, Height 3.09m, Length 6.95m.

Under what class would it be.

Trying to work out where it best to drive down though France or get Ferry from Portsmouth to Spain would prefer to drive through France.

But it looks like my Motorhome is in the higher class for Toll roads.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Right you SHOULD be class 3

Toll Plazas do not have weighing facilities only the Gendarmes do and they don't all have them

try the old "Je suis un camping car" if they try for class 4 which you are not

Remember also ALL Autoroutes have a major RN road shadowing it so in some places (not all) you can get there a little slower but free of tolls 

Posted

Hi

As going on own wanted to get automatic payment as don't want to have to get out and holding up traffic.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

There is a badge for over weight / height  but you get it from https://www.eurotoll.eu/  not Emovis (the new name for Sanef tags)

Posted

Our caravan is almost 3m high due to air con etc.  We drove from Roses to Caen via Millau and the cost of the tolls was over £90 plus 2 over nights stops.  I doubt if we will repeat that trip again as very boring.

Posted

Our caravan is almost 3m high due to air con etc.  We drove from Roses to Caen via Millau and the cost of the tolls was over £90 plus 2 over nights stops.  I doubt if we will repeat that trip again as very boring.

As I said earlier there are stretches of RN roads directly parallel to the A routes not as fast but Free although 90€ is average class 2 the A9 does seem to be an expensive road what we have found that Autoroute are fine for driving faster than possible on National roads but the cost at times isn't worth it would have gone A62 N10 to Caen for a lower cost 

Posted

Hi

Have looked into getting Automatic tag for French toll roads but they ask if over 3.5t and if over 3m high would be committing fraud if tell them yes.  So going to go down though France to Spain on none toll roads have A bit of a roam about if go on toll road will just have to get out walk round and pay hoping get charged 2 instead of 3. But since I lost my wife in September got loads of time to explore.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Probably the best idea.  We have a tag and you are billed the next month.  We are thinking of giving it up and paying by card on arrival at the toll so you know what you are being debited for immediately and it is not hanging around for a month.