Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NEW CARAVAN

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi

Been looking at new Caravan again.

The problem is the heating systems now Blow air or Radiator, not having a Separate heating fire. If new heating goes wrong no back up especially as it is electronic control

I find that the in very cold weather my blow air does not heat rear wash room very good, what is the new blow air only system like heating all of Van in mid winter.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Edited by MONTYSA

Posted

Blown air heating does/can give problems warming the back of a long caravan.  We had a 2014 Swift Challenger 586 with a rear bedroom/fixed bunks and it was like a fridge in there.  That model didn't have (and you weren't supposed to install) butterfly valves to allow you to reduce the air flow from the front and force it to the back.  The pipe also ran underneath the caravan towards the rear, I lagged this with waterproof insulation which helped, but only marginally.

In 2016 we swapped it for a new Swift Challenger 580 with the Alde wet heating system.  Now that was good, giving an even heat throughout the caravan BUT if you put the water on as well as the heating when arriving on site it would prioritise the water so no heating until the water was warm.  The fluid also needs changing at 2 years old (not cheap) and I always found the system a bit temperamental, sometimes it seemed to take a while to come on.  Once working it was great, but I just didn't get on with it.

This year we bought a new Sprite Quattro EB with blown air heating so back to the problem of not much heat to the rear bedroom, BUT this system now does have butterfly valves at the front, allowing you to reduce the output at the front and force it to the rear.  It still isn't brilliant, but I still have yet to lag the pipe as it runs under the caravan with insulation.  We'll be away third week of October so it'll get a good test then. 

Posted (edited)

Hi

Well have taken the plunge and have purchased a new 2018 model Swift Siena 4sb Grantham Caravans Special with blow air heating fingers crossed it heat van ok as we winter caravan been away in our Conqueror in snow blizzards and was nice and cozy with fire and blow air on together. I will make sure I take a electric blow air heater away as well.

Lets hope I don't regret changing Vans. as only changing van as want Island bed. Last HolidayI was getting out of bed average 10 times a night to go to toilet as wife wants to sleep near window. With Island bed will only have to get out of bed for myself should cut it down to about 2 or 3.

Went to buy the twin axle but single axle interior layout seemed better for me. In twin axle could not get into rear bedroom with shower door closed, being 18st.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Edited by MONTYSA
Changed 2017 to 2018

Posted

I have blown air heating , and for a number of years felt in winter it was struggling:cold: ,and used to supplement the electricity with gas to aid quicker warm up .

There is a control lever near the heater and I always thought it was to open and shut to supply to the awning vent .

Then one day I did a very strange thing , I read the instructions :wow:  and found , in fact it was to switch the heating from recirculating the air  , to pulling in fresh air .

So starting with recirculating , then switching to fresh . result in a quicker warm up and a toasty caravan:2thumbsup:

Posted

Hi

Well sitting in new van at Wagtail country park near Grantham. Pick it up Wednesday was worried about heating but been getting to hot so should do.

Been trying to get use to Electronics.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Blown air heating does/can give problems warming the back of a long caravan.  We had a 2014 Swift Challenger 586 with a rear bedroom/fixed bunks and it was like a fridge in there.  That model didn't have (and you weren't supposed to install) butterfly valves to allow you to reduce the air flow from the front and force it to the back.  The pipe also ran underneath the caravan towards the rear, I lagged this with waterproof insulation which helped, but only marginally.

In 2016 we swapped it for a new Swift Challenger 580 with the Alde wet heating system.  Now that was good, giving an even heat throughout the caravan BUT if you put the water on as well as the heating when arriving on site it would prioritise the water so no heating until the water was warm.  The fluid also needs changing at 2 years old (not cheap) and I always found the system a bit temperamental, sometimes it seemed to take a while to come on.  Once working it was great, but I just didn't get on with it.

This year we bought a new Sprite Quattro EB with blown air heating so back to the problem of not much heat to the rear bedroom, BUT this system now does have butterfly valves at the front, allowing you to reduce the output at the front and force it to the rear.  It still isn't brilliant, but I still have yet to lag the pipe as it runs under the caravan with insulation.  We'll be away third week of October so it'll get a good test then. 

Just for others reading this, I think it is only if you put the system onto heating the water at the higher than normal temperature that it takes priority over the central heating.  Normal water heating takes place alongside the central heating - at least that's how mine works.