Sign of the times

24 posts in this topic

Posted

The camping /caravan site where we are at present , usually at this time of the year is fully booked ,

But this year , there are many vacant pitches , and what is also noticeable is that are only a couple of Brits , one being us ., normally we see at least half a dozen .

Weak euro , stayvacation ,brexit fear ?  I suppose .

Dilemma , book next year ? Even with the cost of Eurotunnel (Tesco vouchers ) fuel cost etc it still costs more to holiday in Cornwall for instance than to come here

Posted (edited)

Cornwall is expensive as we know! Anytime of the year! Only thing is I am in love with Cornwall:2thumbsup::smitten:

We are off to Ireland for a week,:Ireland:  cost £550 which includes our apartment and return ferry. We spent more than that  on a cottage in Weymouth in June this year for a week.:undecided:

Edited by Jbeans

Posted

One thing we intensely dislike about Cornwall is having to pay to park near a beach especially if it is a fixed charge i.e. £3.5 all day and you are only going to be there for 20 minutes.  In France it is free.

Posted

One thing we intensely dislike about Cornwall is having to pay to park near a beach especially if it is a fixed charge i.e. £3.5 all day and you are only going to be there for 20 minutes.  In France it is free.

Totally agree 

Looked to stop in Wales too could park a car no problem but motorhomes were banned but then found Disabled parking was free as it should be under EU regulations 

Still wondering where we can park a motorhome in Cornwall or Devon without a new mortgage

Posted

The deed is done

Next year booked , same pitch, same place , same time , ish 

Not even finished this trip yet and looking forward to next year

Talk about getting your ducks in a row 

Posted

We came back from France last week and certainly agree the caravanning/MHomeing Brits are thinner on the ground than ever, and the Dutch all but gone. Pitch occupancy must have typically been way below 10%, probably near 5%.

The future of French campsites must be fragile unless things can be completely recovered in the school holidays.

Another looming issue is the cost of diesel. In the past it was sufficiently below UK prices to help off set the amount needed for the long hauls involved. Now, we have to consider if holidaying there really is worthwhile.

Finally, the adoption of a 80 kmh speed limit on unrestricted single lane roads replacing 90 kmh brings its own issues. I feel it is going to be counter productive in reducing the fatalities as it is so frustrating and tedious that the hot heads are going to be taking greater risks to overtake the bunching. Legally you simply can't go fast enough to cleanly overtake a slow accelerating vehicle; it was a pain in the butt towing.

Posted

We came back from France last week and certainly agree the caravanning/MHomeing Brits are thinner on the ground than ever, and the Dutch all but gone. Pitch occupancy must have typically been way below 10%, probably near 5%.

The future of French campsites must be fragile unless things can be completely recovered in the school holidays.

Another looming issue is the cost of diesel. In the past it was sufficiently below UK prices to help off set the amount needed for the long hauls involved. Now, we have to consider if holidaying there really is worthwhile.

Finally, the adoption of a 80 kmh speed limit on unrestricted single lane roads replacing 90 kmh brings its own issues. I feel it is going to be counter productive in reducing the fatalities as it is so frustrating and tedious that the hot heads are going to be taking greater risks to overtake the bunching. Legally you simply can't go fast enough to cleanly overtake a slow accelerating vehicle; it was a pain in the butt towing.

I have to agree with the above as with the price of fuel being higher naturally the cost of food and other stuff increases.  In the seventies in South Africa we had a national speed limit of 80pkh due to oil crisis and this speed limit was rigorously enforced.  The accident rate increased.

It costs more using the ferry to Spain but this is offset by lower fuel prices, lower food and other stuff costs.  We enjoy France and without taking into consideration the exchange rate, we now find it is rather expensive to visit.  We are going to France for a month in September and will make up our minds whether to visit again or not.

Posted

It is a sad day when we have to take into account everything before we decide where we are going to go on holiday to. Where are the days when we could just get up and go away! 

Posted

We haven't been since the new speed limits came into force but we were away March to May 

We expected campsites to be empty then but the Camping Car Aires were stuffed with all nationalities but one observation on the road was that there were far less caravans than motorhomes. 

We have always had to scrimp and save to go away - but we have never not had a vacation, just not gone as far as we would like

AND no with the motorhome we have already had 66 nights away because we are finding costs so much lower

Posted

Just returned from the South of France where we have been since late May.

This year the site we were on was heaving since the beginning of June. Unusually there were many more Brits than usual.

We left at the beginning of July, when the prices rocket. 16 euros for a fully serviced pitch, went up to 30 euros, and today it goes to 63 euros. Until the end of August.

still fully booked though!

Posted

We have just crunched some numbers , and Our trip to France has cost the same as , or even a bit less than the same number of nights in Cornwall  , we chose a typical site near Polzeath ( an area we know well) ,

And that is all expenses calculated , fuel , site fees , tolls (France).

Parking in France is generally free or very cheap , SO no brainer , the only higher expense  is  food shopping , but as French stick to local produce ,and are particular ,  quality is high

2019 booked , even though we are still here .

Posted

I'm a bit late to this thread, BUT we did 8 nights in Cornwall (Wooda in Bude) late July and 6 nights at Daleacres CC site two weeks after Bude and I feel like someones helped themselves to everything that was in my account!  We noticed that everywhere we went we (or more often than not, I) were putting hands into pockets to pay for something.  I know some of it hinges around trying to keep a perpetually bored teenager entertained, but having holidayed in the UK exclusively for 20 years, this year just seems to have been more expensive than ever before?  Entrance fees to any attractions are often £20-odd for an adult, we went to Clovelly on July and after paying my entrance fee I expected to be handed the deeds to one of the houses.  Even a pub lunch now seems to be the same cost as a previous evening meal.........

With a phobia of foreign travel it's unlikely I'll ever take the caravan abroad, but I do look at some lovely sites in France that are extremely tempting financially!  

Posted

..................... we went to Clovelly on July and after paying my entrance fee .................

Is that the parking fee that costs so much?

And how much was the fee please Gary?

Posted

Totally agree 

Looked to stop in Wales too could park a car no problem but motorhomes were banned but then found Disabled parking was free as it should be under EU regulations 

Still wondering where we can park a motorhome in Cornwall or Devon without a new mortgage

Plenty Caravan sites the problem with Motor homers they want all the best spot for nothing. I have a Motor home as well as Caravan so not picking on Motor homes just stating a fact.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Plenty Caravan sites the problem with Motor homers they want all the best spot for nothing. 

Happy Caravanning

Monty

:sofa: agree. 

Posted

Firstly I don't expect to park for Free although as a disabled driver (the motorhome is my only vehicle and as such is registered so) I want to be able to park where I take up no more space than the profile of the motorhome  I don't need to be 5 miles from town on grass needing electric and awning space  I need to be able to get a mobility scooter into the area without being on a narrow road and at risk of being smashed into by an impatient driver 

Sites are OK but leave me as above that I do not need 

I don't NEED electric

I don't need a drain or water (unless over 5 nights)

I do need to be able to empty my toilet cassette every 3/4 days 

So I do not need to pay £25pn plus for stuff I don't need 

Posted

Firstly I don't expect to park for Free although as a disabled driver (the motorhome is my only vehicle and as such is registered so) I want to be able to park where I take up no more space than the profile of the motorhome  I don't need to be 5 miles from town on grass needing electric and awning space  I need to be able to get a mobility scooter into the area without being on a narrow road and at risk of being smashed into by an impatient driver 

I don't NEED electric

Well said. 

Posted

I don't NEED electric

Hi

Not picking on you Graham but what you say is the problem Disable people have with Motor Homes. As the wife and I are disabled we are finding that it is harder to Holiday with our Motor home getting within mobility scooter range in towns. There are a lot of Local council parking restrictions which Blue Badges can not be used. I find that on longer Holidays I use Caravan as I can get car into seaside towns easier. Then get wife's scooter out. Motor home I use for one or two days out.

Best thing about Motor home got toilet with us all the time.

My Motor home is Swift Royale 590.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

1 person likes this

Posted

As you say Monty 

Some Councils HATE the disabled having FREE parking (Derbyshire CC for one where EVERYONE has to pay even in Disabled only zones) getting within range isn't really a problem as I have a 15 mile range  BUT I fear some of the roads into towns far more especially those where the councils don't even bother with cycle paths / lanes and their footways are NOT up to the standard 1m wide and the way some peole drive would make Sebastian Vettel look a slowcoach 

Posted

Graham

Most places make disable pay now.

I live in Maldon council area all parking is free for Disable. Next Holiday come down to Sunny Essex Maldon free parking here, even the riverside park is free for Disable plenty of room for your Motor home there right in town.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

As you say Monty 

Some Councils HATE the disabled having FREE parking (Derbyshire CC for one where EVERYONE has to pay even in Disabled only zones) getting within range isn't really a problem as I have a 15 mile range  BUT I fear some of the roads into towns far more especially those where the councils don't even bother with cycle paths / lanes and their footways are NOT up to the standard 1m wide and the way some peole drive would make Sebastian Vettel look a slowcoach 

By the same token if you display your BB you can legally park on some yellow lines in towns.  We had to do this a while back as they wanted silly prices for parking in the car park.  We parked outside the parking area on the yellow line.  The car park was privately managed but the only one around.

Posted

Graham

Most places make disable pay now.

I live in Maldon council area all parking is free for Disable. Next Holiday come down to Sunny Essex Maldon free parking here, even the riverside park is free for Disable plenty of room for your Motor home there right in town.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Although most places make you pay if you have a BB if the car is taxed as Disabled generally this is waived.   In Cornwall you need tow rite to the council and advise them and apparently they have to send you a special disc.  probably due to abuse but by the same token are councils really that hard up for a fiver?

Posted (edited)

Although most places make you pay if you have a BB if the car is taxed as Disabled generally this is waived.   In Cornwall you need tow rite to the council and advise them and apparently they have to send you a special disc.  probably due to abuse but by the same token are councils really that hard up for a fiver?

Last time I visited Cornwall I had a Motability car and we were able to park freely as long as we were in a Disabled parking place but we were told that with the removal of Tax Discs the Parking attendants wouldn't be able to identify those with Disabled excise duty status 

So it would appear that is how they have solved the problem not sure when we are visiting but will check out the feasibility before I go to bed this afternoon ready for the ferry in the middle of the night 

EDIT

The Cornish parking permit is Annual and costs £10 at present so will wait to apply until we actually go

Edited by Gray

Posted

Is that the parking fee that costs so much?

And how much was the fee please Gary?

It is basically a parking fee disguised as an entrance fee to the village, £7.50 each for adults and £4.50 for children, but as there's nowhere else to park you have no choice.