In car cool boxes

12 posts in this topic

Posted

my son is coming from the Netherlands . He is hoping to go camping while here . 

Do any of you use in car cool boxes . Are they any good . He would need to use this in his car for most of his trip . Would this cause a problem with his car battery .

Posted

Don't know about in car cool boxes. 

My hubby uses an Igloo cool box. They are brill. We use our big one when we go to Ireland. It will keep food frozen for at least twelve hours or more with ice blocks if need to.

Posted

OK we have two basically they are ordinary cool boxes with a built in cooler (some have heaters too) 

to run continuously they need to be powered up all the time so I would recommend a separate leisure battery in the boot with it to prevent any problems with the car battery he can charge the battery from the car when driving though it should last a few days 

Posted

OK we have two basically they are ordinary cool boxes with a built in cooler (some have heaters too) 

to run continuously they need to be powered up all the time so I would recommend a separate leisure battery in the boot with it to prevent any problems with the car battery he can charge the battery from the car when driving though it should last a few days 

Ahh hubby informs me we had a cool box that ran from the car battery but that was years ago so hopefully they have  improved since then as I now remember it wasn't very good. 

1 person likes this

Posted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-CoolFun-40D-Hybrid-Cooler/dp/B00KIULTFW

Not cheap , but this is the ultimate  in cool boxes , run on mains to pre cool ,

then in the car from 12v , we have 2 , one is used for the trip down in France , and once pre cooled , or even down to freezing , it will keep food and drinks icey cold , even when not connected to power for 6 hrs or more. when on site we have 2side by side  ,the boxes  easily exceed the performance of the caravan fridge .

Posted

Got one recently from Aldi....around 40 quid & runs on 12v (in car) or mains.

Used last weekend....kept the "important" stuff in perfect nick. As the 12v sockets in my car only operate when the engine's running there ain't no problem regarding a flat battery.

Posted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-CoolFun-40D-Hybrid-Cooler/dp/B00KIULTFW

Not cheap , but this is the ultimate  in cool boxes , run on mains to pre cool ,

then in the car from 12v , we have 2 , one is used for the trip down in France , and once pre cooled , or even down to freezing , it will keep food and drinks icey cold , even when not connected to power for 6 hrs or more. when on site we have 2side by side  ,the boxes  easily exceed the performance of the caravan fridge .

I agree they are very good and we ordered one last week but they delivered the mains only version to us and we had to send it back.  We had one previously, but sold it a few years ago when we thought we would have to give up the caravan. 

Now we have a Halfords box which works off mains or 12v and it keeps the food frozen for about 2 days.

Posted

Aldi have cooler box for sale yesterday in Chelmsford.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

We use a Quest supercool box. Works on 240, gas or 12 volt, and cools to about 28 below ambient temperature. In the Discovery we run it on 12volt. When we get to site it goes in the awning and runs on 240 or gas! Not a cheap buy, but really does the job 

Posted

Absorption fridges are not normally very good in very hot weather in Spain.  A compressor fridge is a better option.

Posted

Thank you everyone .

he now says there is no 12volt plug in boot . I’m sure there is . But I think he will just use cold box and ice packs now . 

Posted

Absorption fridges are not normally very good in very hot weather in Spain.  A compressor fridge is a better option.

Ours was fine in Morocco where the temperature can get quite high :jump: