good speak for car manufacturer

17 posts in this topic

Posted

This is a story not often heard..

We have both had our brand new Vauxhall's  since last December after selling our cars and most upsetingly our caravan after caravaning for over 50 years, we treated ourselves to  a new car each.

Both cars going well -- to us. However not good enough for Vauxhall !!!!

mine a Crosslander X and Mary's Corsa.

In about February I received an email from Vauxhall to say that my car was performing in-correctly. -- how do they know this? Well ! all new Vauxhalls come fitted with an onboard computer monitoring all aspects of the car, everything even down to individual tyre pressures, wind screen washer fluids and every thing transmiting this to Vauxhall.. Our seats and stearing wheel wernt heating corectly and a couple of other things.

They told us that my car was not preforming to specification, could I take it into the agents - our dealer - we did and were told that our car was being recalled and would be replaced with a brand new - un-registered car, but as ours was an elite specification auttomatic with all the trimmings it was being programmed into the production line and wouldntn't be ready till October 'ish'. In the mean time I could drive this one  - didnt matter about miles etc -- no problem just bring it in when we tell you.

They did give us an alternative £389 + £500 compensation or the new car ---- what would you have done???

Couldnt quite believe this  as this was comming from London - so I went to the local dealer and he knew all about it and was looking forward to handing over a new car to us.. It would make his numbers good for that month.

What do you all think Cash or Car.??????

Let us know

Maurice

Posted

Absolute no brainer Maurice, the new car, you are getting the use of the existing one for 9 months for free and a one year newer registration which will be worth more at trade in when / if you come to sell it on.

Posted

We did of course go for the car option but still cant quite believe it. I went in the other day to see the sales manager and he was OK about it all and suggested that I might get the car sooner. I think that he was trying to get the car delivered and to me before the 68 plate came in. Does it make a great deal of difference when you sell the car -- not that we are likely to sell in the near future unless we have to    :angel: etc.

Is there a difference  between the 18 and the 68 plates on resale?

Is it worth the wait?

Or is he just trying to get his numbers up for the end of month /year.

Posted

Seems a bit drastic Vauxhall changing your cars, are these leased cars, wonder if its something to do with Vauxhalls catching fire.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

I don't think I would be very happy with a manufacturer tracking my every move as that is an invasion of privacy.  I guess you agreed to them monitoring you day & night?

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think I would be very happy with a manufacturer tracking my every move as that is an invasion of privacy.  I guess you agreed to them monitoring you day & night?

I wouldn't like that either! 

it is me, or is this offer too good to be good?

Posted

Think it a little odd...but yes I would take the car myself. Date on the Plate, don't think it is as important as it used to be,unless you are one of these people who must have the latest of everything.... When I have changed cars,albeit not very often, these last few years I have been more interested in the mileage on the clock than how old it actually was. My last car was traded in last year,bought with 8000 on clock and sold with 148000 10 years on, the purchaser wasn't interested in the number plate just the mileage and service record.

geoff  

Posted

It would be interesting as to  what the issue was with the car , causing a total recall and not just a repair

1 person likes this

Posted

:wine:

I don't often agree with people but I'm with Rod - I may be overly cynical but I'd be hunting about checking for issues with Vauxhalls !

As for a new plate - I think it's the dealers that are keen for people to have them and it could be that the dealership are rushing to get this years numbers up. Personally I'm with Geoff when it comes to cars, I buy low mileage cars around 6-12 months old and run them into the deck. I'm a bit fussy about the spec - decent heated seats are a must and I've added built in sat nav etc to the list as Jackie's Kuga came with it and I'm sold on the simplicity compared to Tom Tom etc. As a result my commuter bus bought at the end of March with 5.5k on the clock came with 8" satnav, voice control, app facility (Still not figured out how to add them yet !). Just hit 10k on Friday - hopefully this will last me into retirement

:wine::wine::wine:

:England:

Posted (edited)

We are the same. Buy a low mileage car and run it til it can run now more. The Vectra has done 125k and still running sweet.

Famous last words:help:

Edited by Jbeans

Posted

I'm in the "buy used, relatively low mileage" camp too. No point in buying brand new....you drop a fortune as soon as you drive off the forecourt & you don't have the (potential) brand new car problems.

I have remote monitoring on my gas boiler so it comes as no surprise car manufacturers are using it too.

Posted

We like all the boy's toys with the exception of the built in Satnavs which in the majority of cars has huge drawbacks as you cannot add your own POIs i.e. Archies Campsites.  Plus when it is time to update they charge you an arm and a leg plus some.  TT gives us updates 3- 4 times a year free of charge and we can add our own POIs.

Posted

We like all the boy's toys with the exception of the built in Satnavs which in the majority of cars has huge drawbacks as you cannot add your own POIs i.e. Archies Campsites.  Plus when it is time to update they charge you an arm and a leg plus some.  TT gives us updates 3- 4 times a year free of charge and we can add our own POIs.

Agree about the built in satnav can't add to them upgrades cost more than a Tom tom and a Garmin with free updates and can't add speed Cameras Warning to them. I don't like the positions of them either looking down at them as I do in my Alhambra is dangerous.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted (edited)

Electrical fire , back wheels coming loose ,serious engine problems , long bargepole comes to mind

Edited by Rodders

Posted

Electrical fire , back wheels coming loose ,serious engine problems , long bargepole comes to mind

And there I was, a Vauxhall fan! :sofa: