Sad Sight

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Southbound M11 at about  0830 , in-between  Duxford and Stanstead

Overturned car and caravan , the car , a Ford Ranger , the caravan , not sure , may even been a fifth wheel  as it was quite large , large low loader artic nearby , may have been for pick up . or …..

Glad to see the couple nearby on the hard shoulder  appearing to be uninjured .

That was the start of a bad day for M11 , later , overturned lorry and a car fire to complete the mess

Posted

I agree.  It's never good to see a caravan on its side. Good the couple were ok. 

Posted

You know, I’ve never driven the M11 yet without there being at least one accident on it - thankfully I haven’t driven it that often.

Likewise glad to hear the couple escaped without injury

Posted

One holiday in France ( not the one where we got hit) we counted 5 caravan accidents in three weeks, 2 Dutch,3 Brits.....the first was about 40 miles out of Calais on A26....First week of August,new registrations just out, there was a medium sized Ford,new reg, did a flip about half a mile in front of us on a downward bank, brand  new caravan as underneath was still white.....the party of 2 girls and husband and wife got out and we were going to pull in but a French tanker driver stopped behind them blocking the road to further traffic and waving us to carry on..glad that they all seemed fine.

Without commenting on the others one was actually quite odd to watch as we could see it happen.....smallish Dutch 'van trying to overtake on a congested road,sees a gap opposite side to us...but there was a low loader with a crane jib sticking out...lifted his roof off nicely.....

geoff

Posted

Why is it we see far more French caravans in bits than any others ???

we've had 4 upside down 

One without wheels - - both of them !!!!!! 

one with something going through the floor - looked like white goods 

though we saw one with smoke coming from the tyres - they were rubbing on the wheelarches  either the suspension had collapsed or it was seriously overloaded - but they just kept on driving - - - felt it safer to be well in front of him 

Posted

Hi

Not being contradictive

But been on M11 from Stanstead up many times never seen a accident.

Just must be lucky or are most of accidents in lower part of M11.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Came up the M11 on Sunday no problem— the A14 was a bugger though now at site near Pidley

Posted

For the last 14 years I've driven from Leicestershire to Witham, essex (M1, A14, M11, A120) and back weekly, in that time I've seen one caravan accident (Land Rover Freelander with a single axle Swift).  I was only talking to someone at work that a few years back it seemed as though every summer you'd see at least one accident, now, covering around 20,000 miles a year I see very few?  We wondered whether it was improved caravan stability or just a fluke?

Posted

Once again a sad sight .

This time right in the middle of the Dartford Bridge , this time it was an elderly motorhome , rear end totally destroyed by fire.

It looks as though the occupants were ok though , a lady and her dog sitting on the Armco  attended by all 3 emergency services .