Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why do you change caravans

9 posts in this topic

Posted

ok we have in the past changed caravans due to our first and second  becoming too old and needing lots of repairs .

our next we changed due to needing to upsize . 

Then the upsized van was rubbish and we were sick of it either leaking or needing repairs , this was from new so we changed .

i just wondered why you all change . Is it because you like new or because your situation changes . 

Posted

SWMBO..." you don't know how much I hate this caravan!"

Then it is repeated each 'van thereafter.

geoff

2 people like this

Posted

On our second van !!  But only been caravanning for thirteen years.

Airstream7.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Apart from our current caravan we've never planned a change. Once we went for a fly screen and came back with a new caravan, but mostly we changed because we've liked the improvements on a particular model and our friendly dealer has given us a deal that suits us.

Posted (edited)

Hi

Use to change as just liked new van.

Wanted to change couple of years ago for Caravan with side ways bed, but looked at my Conqueror 630 LUX even being 15 years old at time looked immaculate so thought keep the £25,000 in bank.

Purchased a Motor home now, but still got Caravan

I use to buy New Caravans on HP when I was younger and at work.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Edited by MONTYSA
My bad spelling again

Posted

After a couple of second hand vans we purchased our first new van around 1989 and we kept that for about 8/9 years. Nothing particularly wrong with it but we rather liked the idea of a proper onboard shower so part exchanged for a Sterling Europa which we kept for about 6 years. Next one was an Eccles Topaz, same layout but a bit more up market, again kept for about 6 years. Our next move was to a fixed bed van and purchased an Archway Rockingham which we kept for 4 year when we part exchanged for our now motorhome 6 years ago. We were very lucky that we had  very few issues with any of our new caravans over that 25 year period. 

David

Posted

Don't have any great rule of thumb though, usually, it's because the one I've got is getting a bit "tired"......previous one was changed for another reason entirely.

Posted

Bought our first van in 2004 - a Swift Group 2 berth end bathroom changed it in 2009 for our present van an Airstream 532 - also a 2 berth end bathroom - wanted a more robust van as we wanted to go to Morocco where the roads can be a bit rough and it survived that trip very well.Airstream.JPG

Posted

:wine:

We bought our first van in 1999, after doing loads of research we ot scared and bought new in October, essentially the previous years van so we saved a few bob, it was a Chichester Caravans dealer special - Freelander 525, single axle, 5 berth double dinette which was ideal given that we lived at the end of a cul de sac and had three six year olds. The van suffered some minor damage on our first trip to France a few years later and unfortunately it was poorly repaired and by the time it was 8 years old it had a bad case of damp.

The repairs would have cost a mint and the kids were no longer interested in caravanning so we traded it in for a Bailey Virginia, single axle, 4 berth, fixed island bed - great idea but a poor implementation as they'd squeezed everything to make room for the bed and even with just the two of us there wasn't enough room.

After seven years with little caravanning we considered whether we wanted to continue, decided that we did but fancied a motorhome ... after 6 months of research we came to the conclusion that we couldn't get the motorhome we wanted for the money we had to spend so we replaced our Surf with a Ford Kuga and bought a Lunar Clubman ES - single axle, 4 berth, side dinette.

We collected it on 16th December 2014 and two days later I had a heart attack followed by a quad bypass so it didn't get used until the following Easter :jump:

In summary we've changed vans due to damage and being unfit for purpose - the current plan is that the this outfit will be replaced with a motorhome when I retire in 2022 but as we all know God laughs at our plans !

:wine::wine::wine:

:England: