Tom Tom issues

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I  am having issues with my Tom Tom  Go Live .

I have had it for about 5 years , the live traffic function has long since timed out , as £50 pa for renewal is expensive .so when traffic is an issue I resort to Waze , but then I have to use the car charger to keep the battery topped up on my phone

The issue is , losing contact with GPS satellites, this can be for up to half an hour , and is not related to being in a built up area , or in a tunnel .

I have just carried out an update of maps and firmware , and hopefully this should do the trick .

In the event the TT us still unreliable , I have been looking at possible replacements . I do like the way TT works so am leaning towards that brand .

BUT I have not closed my mind to others .

TT live used to be stand alone , not needing a smart phone link , to keep traffic updates coming in , and they were very accurate .

But the newer versions of sat navs appear to require a Bluetooth link to the smart phone to get traffic updates .

So my questions , will a smart phone link to the car Bluetooth , and to the sat nav at the same time . How resource and battery hungry is the link .and how reliable are traffic updates

Or simply , as I have unlimited data on my smart phone , do I just carry on and use Waze

Finally , anyone used successfully  Waze in France , navigating down to post code level

Cheers

Posted

The last time I paid for the Live Traffic update I am sure it was about £28 per annum?  We have the Caravan and Camper version with Lifetime maps which I think is actually the TT 1005.  We like the TT in that it is easy to use and easy to add your own POIs like Archies.  Sadly not all other brands allow you to add your own POIs.

Posted (edited)

Well since running the update,nothing has improved,still dropping out every few minutes,

Unless there is an external reason such as solar interference,then the GPS receiver is failing, and it is hand in pocket time.

Irritating ,as my original TT ,the big fat one ,still picks up up signals quickly, just that the LCD screen has failed to almost blank ,just a faint picture

The £50 live traffic subs are the fee before the endless discount e-mail offers received 

Edited by Rodders

Posted

Both my sons use their phones and google maps . They plug in to charger in the car not sure about blue tooth .

the one lives in the Netherlands and always uses this . If there are traffic hold ups it redirects . 

They both keep telling me to use this as well because  it’s up to date always . And because I keep of having problems with my sat nav being unreliable or not up dated. 

However I make sure I know my route using good old fashioned maps . That never lets me down . 

Posted

The problem with the phone and Google maps is the data being used plus you cannot enter the dimensions of the vehicles and you may be taken down the wrong road for a caravan.  Not sure if you can add POIs to phone apps?

Posted

We have a TomTom Go 5000 which has its own sim card, so no need to connect to my phone. It has Lifetime Maps (Europe) and Lifetime Traffic, but you can't set the size of your vehicle.

Posted

Both my sons use their phones and google maps . They plug in to charger in the car not sure about blue tooth .

the one lives in the Netherlands and always uses this . If there are traffic hold ups it redirects . 

They both keep telling me to use this as well because  it’s up to date always . And because I keep of having problems with my sat nav being unreliable or not up dated. 

However I make sure I know my route using good old fashioned maps . That never lets me down . 

BTW in the UK it is illegal to use your phone while driving and that includes using it as a Satnav listening to music etc.

Posted

BTW in the UK it is illegal to use your phone while driving and that includes using it as a Satnav listening to music etc.

Not quite true, from GOV,UK :-

It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

• a bluetooth headset
  • voice command
  • a dashboard holder or mat
  • a windscreen mount
  • a built-in sat nav

The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

You must stay in full control of your vehicle at all times. The police can stop you if they think you’re not in control because you’re distracted and you can be prosecuted.

Sat nav's (phone or otherwise) should be pre-programmed with your route and if it needs to be re-programmed you should pull over in a safe place.

Posted

Not quite true, from GOV,UK :-

It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

• a bluetooth headset
  • voice command
  • a dashboard holder or mat
  • a windscreen mount
  • a built-in sat nav

The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

You must stay in full control of your vehicle at all times. The police can stop you if they think you’re not in control because you’re distracted and you can be prosecuted.

Sat nav's (phone or otherwise) should be pre-programmed with your route and if it needs to be re-programmed you should pull over in a safe place.

Thanks for that input, but quite often Gov.uk will differ from the actual legislation.  Earlier this year apparently someone got done at a MacD drive in as they paid using their phone.  Not sure if it is true or not but nothing surprises me any more.

Posted

Thanks for that input, but quite often Gov.uk will differ from the actual legislation.  Earlier this year apparently someone got done at a MacD drive in as they paid using their phone.  Not sure if it is true or not but nothing surprises me any more.

I accept what you say, but in most cases where somebody is done they have handled their phone - and that is a no, no when driving. It also worth noting the number of cars that now have IOS CarPlay or Android Auto, which allows the driver to use Google Map, Waze etc., on the dashboard display, plus most of the other phone functions within the car. All quite legal as long as it is hands free.

On a personal note I prefer to not to use my phone when I'm driving.

Posted

:wow: