Biking from Whitehorse to Vancouver

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm planning to travel along the alaskan highway this summer (end of june until mid july). I'm not an extremely experienced camper and have only spend one night outside of a camping ground so far. My greastest bike ride so far was from Zürich to Bern (145km/90m) which I managed in a single day, so I expect to be able to do around 80-100 km each day, So I think I should be able to make it to Vancouver in less than a month. I've read a handful of blogs from people who did it, so the idea isn't quite as outlandish as it first seamed. I'm mostly looking for Information about camping spots, emergency situtations, necessary equipmenr, further sources of information and just general tipps and tricks Heres what I've planned so far:

1 CHF = 0.98 USD

• Fly from Basel to Whitehorse and from Vancouver to Basel - totalling at around 1500CHF (including bike)
  • I plan to spend around 1000CHF for the entire trip (25k total)
  • I have a city/mountainbike hybrid that is made to be easy to fix
  • I plan to carry around 3-4kg in a backpack and maybe 4-5 in saddlebags
  • I think I'll only pack as much food as necessary and stock up along the way
  • I should be able to reach some form of settlement every 2 days
  • I speak fluent english and some french
  • The Temperatures seam pretty barable at 11° degrees in July
  • Its just gonna be me
  • I'm planning to sleep in a tent most of the time
  • I'll probably stay as close to the road as possible

Heres some stuff I am worried about

• Is there a better Forum for trips like this?
  • Wild animals (bears, buffalos, elk), which precausions are necessary? Are they known to attack unprotected travelers? Do they keep off the road?
  • Are the prices somewhat reasonable? In Switzerland you get robbed along the highways
  • Is the road kept in shape for bikers? Do I have to watch out for reckless drivers
  • Is there a danger of highway robbery?
  • How quick do emergency services respond?
  • Is camping along the highway even legal? Alternatively, are there enough camping grounds? Online research has been inconclusive.
  • Is it even safe to travel alone, or should I look for a friend to join me?
  • Is there cellphone coverage up there? Is there a way to get Internet?
  • These are just some of the worries of the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

So are there people who have done similar things? I'd love to get in contact. Where should I look for more Information? I'm mainly looking for the excercise and some Scenery. Canada seams to most suited for this, but if there are other places for a Novice I'm open for suggestions.

Posted

Are you aware that this is an UK camping and caravan forum and unlikely anyone will be able to give that sort of advice?

Posted

Thomas, Google is your friend. ::D:.

Good luck.

Posted

alaska_bearsign.thumb.jpg.2bc36472fcd8e8I have friends who live in Canada who I am in daily touch with....have been to both places myself......Will pass on your ideas and see what they come back with.

geoff  

Posted (edited)

Right....my friends in Canada have replied as follows:-

Hi Geoff...  your caravan friend is planning a very challenging trip.  I have answered those questions that I'm able, below.  Canada is a beautiful place.  It's much larger than people realize and much less populated.  Our Country has only about 30m people in a Country the size of the U.S.  Every time we are out that way, there are cyclists on the road in the mountains on hair pin curves.  We hate them.

Actual reply:-

Fly from Basel to Whitehorse and from Vancouver to Basel - totalling at around 1500CHF (including bike)
I plan to spend around 1000CHF for the entire trip (25k total)
I have a city/mountainbike hybrid that is made to be easy to fix
I plan to carry around 3-4kg in a backpack and maybe 4-5 in saddlebags
I think I'll only pack as much food as necessary and stock up along the way - In the great north part of British Columbia, there isn't much but mountain ranges.
I should be able to reach some form of settlement every 2 days - Check this link for tourist areas...  https://www.travel-british-columbia.com/mapexplorer/
I speak fluent english and some french
The Temperatures seam pretty barable at 11° degrees in July - middle and southern B.C. will reach 25C in the summer months.  Two years ago, it was over 30C.
Its just gonna be me
I'm planning to sleep in a tent most of the time - Bears.
I'll probably stay as close to the road as possible - There are roadside tourist stops with picnic tables and washrooms.
Heres some stuff I am worried about

Is there a better Forum for trips like this?
Wild animals (bears, buffalos, elk), which precausions are necessary? Are they known to attack unprotected travelers? Do they keep off the road? - We haven't trained our bears and moose to stay off the roads.  The bison seem to want to run amok also.
Are the prices somewhat reasonable? In Switzerland you get robbed along the highways - "Reasonable" covers a lot of ground.  Some things, such as meat, are more expensive than in other areas of the Country.
Is the road kept in shape for bikers? Do I have to watch out for reckless drivers - The roads are kept in shape for drivers.  
Is there a danger of highway robbery? - Probably.  Humans are human everywhere.
How quick do emergency services respond? - You're in a wild area.  So it depends on exactly where you are if you need help.
Is camping along the highway even legal? Alternatively, are there enough camping grounds? Online research has been inconclusive. - The link gives you lots of options.
Is it even safe to travel alone, or should I look for a friend to join me? - I would recommend a traveling partner.
Is there cellphone coverage up there? Is there a way to get Internet? - In the mountains, no.  
These are just some of the worries of the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. - Bring a rain suit.  It rains often.  
So are there people who have done similar things? I'd love to get in contact. Where should I look for more Information? I'm mainly looking for the exercise and some Scenery. Canada seams to most suited for this, but if there are other places for a Novice I'm open for suggestions.
"
Hope this helps
geoff
Edited by shipbroker

Posted

Wonder if we will hear from Thomas again??

geoff

Posted

Doesn't look like it,does it?

geoff