Alko Pneumatic Jockey Wheel

Question

Posted

My pneumatic tyre on jockey wheel is caput. Trying to decide on whether to buy another one or get a puncture proof type. I have a power mover and am told that its best to have a pneumatic type tyre on your jockey wheel. Any advice would be much appreciated.

11 answers to this question

Posted

I have an Al-Ko solid wheel...wish I had someone elses!,my trial with a pneumatic some 'vans ago didn't work out well.

geoff

Posted

I did have the pneumatic tyre on one of my caravans. It was fine but it used to bounce a bit when using the mover. I suppose the bigger footprint the jockey wheel has the easier it will be to move.

David

Posted

Thank you for responding. Going to take my caput wheel and tyre into Kwik Fit tomorrow to see if they can repair and sell me a tyre valve extension. I quite like the look of the puncture proof wheels but will see.

Posted

Have tried lots of dif jockey wheels as my mover destroys them. Gone back to pneumatic. It's the gravel destroys the rubber.

Happy Caravanning 

Monty 

Posted

Our caravan came with a solid jockey wheel which the mover promptly destroyed,

Since then and moving to a pneumatic wheel , the only problem is  punctures and leaky valves .There is a design problem with pneumatic  wheels due to the split rim , that is the lack of rim tape as on a cycle wheel which stresses the inner tube , I hope to remedy this with gaffer tape , and also using “slime” a sort of rubber solution which helps to fix small punctures (Halfords )

I have just got a couple of inner tubes from Amazon , as they are  difficult to get at caravan dealers , and with any luck should see the end of jockey wheel problems .

Just to be on the safe side , a year or two ago , whilst in France , the jockey wheel tyre was punctured , so of all things I managed to get a wheelbarrow wheel which fitted perfectly , so I keep that in reserve in the caravan .

Posted

With the pneumatic it is placed under a lot fo stress when the caravan is turning.  The result is loss of pressure, punctures etc.  We got round this by having an inner tube fitted.  Unfortunately our current caravan has a noseweight limit of 150kg so cannot use a pneumatic tyre.  The assembly is now gathering dust in the garage.

Posted

Forgot to say have injected some green slime not had puncture since and no air lose.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Thanks everyone. Just back from Kwik Fit where they managed to reinflate the tyre. Not sure how long that will last. Leaning towards one of those puncture proof ones that look like a pneumatic but are solid. 

Posted

The title of this post has me imagining a drunk pheumatic jocky wheel carreering everywhere except where it was meant to go :jump:

I got a pheumatic jockey wheel for my Tabbert caravan intending to fit motor movers because it would have to be maneuvered hitch in because of the right hand door, however after using many CSs I found it wasn't really needed...

On the pheumatic jockey wheel - it was always deflating while in storeage and becoming quite annoying so I eventualy bought a standard jockey and still use it to this day (although I don't move anywhere anymore) Perhaps taking the weight off the wheel while pitched and in storeage might prolong the inner tube?

Posted

Rune I am fairly sure that they come standard as tubeless and the inner tyre has to be fitted?

Posted

Never had pneumatic without tube myself.

Happy Caravanning

Monty