Are CLs pricing themselves out of the market?

34 posts in this topic

Posted

A CL that we normally use has upped their price to £15 a night.  The other one down the road charges £12 Monday to Thursday and then £15 for the weekend.  Northam Farm near Brean charges £12.50 a night or with our 3 dogs £15.50 a night for a grass pitch.  We are ACSI members and many continental sites are a lot lower in price than many CLs.  

Last year we never used any CMC sites and I think only one CL for a stay of 2 nights.  Originally the reason why we were CMC members was because of the CL network, but it seems this many no longer be the case.   

Posted

Hardstanding where I am £22 at the moment rising to £26 for Jun-Aug that's with electric -

Awning/Boat/Pup Tent/Gazebo/Extra Car - Free

Pets - Free  

Free extra night if you book for 7

I hope it never gets bought up by any of the clubs...

Posted

Just had 7 nights near Sedgefield, Co Durham with a beautiful view over the meadows, 16 amp, water and grey waste on pitch for £14 per night or, in winter, £10 with no hookup.  Given that my regular haunt in Anglesey charges £35, it sounds OK but the £35 one does have showers and loos plus grounds in superb condition etc.

Posted

With a lot of club sites nudging 30-odd pounds a night in the summer, anything below this seems a bargain to me!  We've been on some cracking CL's in the past but our daughter (13, say no more......) prefers the larger sites that are also full of similarly moody teenagers that stare at their phones.  In a few years when she doesn't want to come away with us we'll be back on CL's.

My only gripe with some CL's are the "hidden extras", charging extra for pretty much everything that isn't charged for on a club site.  Providing these charges are obvious up front then fine.

Posted

We don't simply look at price, for us what "charm" a site has to us, is of prime importance, not even facilities as we brought a van with all we need. It does not need EHUs for most of the year, we also have our needs there sorted.

A big part of "charm" in our opinion is that hopefully it will only have another 4 units at the most and could be a nice open field not tight packed rows of caravans or motorhomes. Then there is a whole host of other "charms", location, views, cycling opportunities and recently the lovely prancing antics of the lambs in the abutting field.

I suspect ones perception of value, comes down to what you "value".

Posted

My perception of value relates to why CLs are charging as much or more as a full blown caravan site with all the facilities.  To us the charm of the CL is way down the list as we do not stay on the CL all day.

Posted

My perception of value relates to why CLs are charging as much or more as a full blown caravan site with all the facilities.  To us the charm of the CL is way down the list as we do not stay on the CL all day.

Nor do we stay on site all day every day but we stay long enough for its "charms" to be paramount, as I said it all boils down to "ones perception of value" and " to what you "value".

Clearly a site limited to just 5 units has fewer units to amortise all the infrastructure overhead charges over than one with 10, 20 or more times the unit count.

If cheap is what you value, then 5 van sites could well not always meet your goals.

Posted

We only use them as overnight stops en route so charms are not needed,access is.

But have just been on one site,not a CL,where they want to up electrics from £3 a night to £5,and I am just looking for the legislation that states you cannot sell energy unless you are the Utility company!

Won't be going back.

Geoff

Posted

We only use them as overnight stops en route so charms are not needed,access is.

But have just been on one site,not a CL,where they want to up electrics from £3 a night to £5,and I am just looking for the legislation that states you cannot sell energy unless you are the Utility company!

Won't be going back.

Geoff

Found this Geoff - it's a pdf

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk%2Fofgem-publications%2F74486%2F11782-resaleupdateoct05pdf&usg=AOvVaw0df-8-ESGYouwLzDemGNdX

Posted

Won't be going back.

Geoff

They are not supplying a electric.  You are paying for the use of the EHU hookup which is a way around the legislation.  There is nothing stopping them charging anything between £0.01p and £100 or more for the EHU connection.  What they cannot do is charge you more per kw unit than what they pay.

Posted (edited)

I think all site fee seem high to me, when started using sites in 70's it was a couple of quid but my weekly wage was about £70 take home.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Edited by MONTYSA
Added take home

Posted

A CL we use a lot has just put up his nightly charge from £16.00 to £18.00 as He has just installed some hard standings, included in this price is free use of a washing machine, tumble dryer, microwave, and shower and toilet, there is also a nice picnic area at one end of the site with chairs and a firepit, his wife runs a health spa out of the site and  that and colonic irrigation is charged extra for those who have forgot a hose :lol:

2 people like this

Posted

They are not supplying a electric.  You are paying for the use of the EHU hookup which is a way around the legislation.  There is nothing stopping them charging anything between £0.01p and £100 or more for the EHU connection.  What they cannot do is charge you more per kw unit than what they pay.

Hi

Yes to connect, but once connected they are supplying electric.  So anyone can supply electric as long as they charge a fixed amount to connect to there meter. Bit of a grey area.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Hi

Yes to connect, but once connected they are supplying electric.  So anyone can supply electric as long as they charge a fixed amount to connect to there meter. Bit of a grey area.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

No the electric they supply is free (to you), they just charge you a connection fee to access it

Posted

No the electric they supply is free (to you), they just charge you a connection fee to access it

If they call it a connection fee, they could be infringing the rules which is why they charge for the facility instead.  Guess it is all in the wording and how they twist the English language to get around it.

Posted

What do people think the price of a CL should be if it has hardstandings and electrics and perhaps toilets? If it was £15 a night, even with some of those facilities, I would think it a reasonable price. Even if the CL was full it makes about £500 a week or say £24000 a year if it was full which is unlikely so looking at say occupancy of around 75% across the year that equals about £18000 a year from which you have to deduct the cost of maintaining the CL including electricity. Looking at the sums the CL owner would be looking at getting less that somebody on the NMW working 40 hours a week. If people want CL's to survive, and the network is shrinking at an alarming rate, they have to be prepared to pay for them.

David

Posted

Hardstanding where I am £22 at the moment rising to £26 for Jun-Aug that's with electric -

Awning/Boat/Pup Tent/Gazebo/Extra Car - Free

Pets - Free  

Free extra night if you book for 7

I hope it never gets bought up by any of the clubs...

At todays prices, that really sounds good.  However if you don't take advantage of the, 'freebies'  then for some it might be a bit pricey.

Posted

What do people think the price of a CL should be if it has hardstandings and electrics and perhaps toilets? If it was £15 a night, even with some of those facilities, I would think it a reasonable price. Even if the CL was full it makes about £500 a week or say £24000 a year if it was full which is unlikely so looking at say occupancy of around 75% across the year that equals about £18000 a year from which you have to deduct the cost of maintaining the CL including electricity. Looking at the sums the CL owner would be looking at getting less that somebody on the NMW working 40 hours a week. If people want CL's to survive, and the network is shrinking at an alarming rate, they have to be prepared to pay for them.

David

I have always looked on CL's as being a side line,  not a full only income business. With full services £15 is reasonable in high season but should be lower out of season.

If any type of site is excellent to a camper he will pay premium fees to stay there.Field with just a tap should be priced according.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted (edited)

David

Being for the best part of 40 years significant users of 5 van sites in both clubs, so a fair judge on typical occupancy levels any thought of them achieving 75% occupancy is IMO way way off the mark. Many would love to see that just on weekends in summer.

Frequently, during the week out of school holidays we find no other user or just one. I recall going to more than one well into the season to be told we were the "first that year".

This indicates despite our passion for the camping style they offer, for the vast mass of club members they are not required, which over the years seems even more the case.

I suspect very few indeed offer the owner any revenue stream at all, just an expense. Quite a typical comment from farmers is "we do it for a bit of company, otherwise we never see anybody to talk to".

What many users don't realise is nowadays on a VAT registered farm, the 5 van site income is charged VAT, even if its the wife's hobby but where she is a partner in the farm ownership. Those on smallholdings and in gardens where the whole is not a VAT registered setup, don't have that extra 20% burden. I come across situations where a farmer is lumbered with adding VAT to his price but another local provider falls outside that and does not.That price difference is enough to drive some price focused clients away.

I feel that 5 van sites are a fragile and disappearing facility and I will be very sad if those that follow us don't have that option anymore. 

Another "coffin-nail" is the trend towards motorhoming where ground conditions on many really don't suit front wheel drive heavy units, which all has to be driven on and off with every "outing", even sightseeing. Plus with them a camping culture of "must be travelling to somewhere else" , and having to move everything off to go visiting so needing no base, the stays are rarely into "nights", just an overnight more often than not.

Edited by Ocsid

Posted

David

Many proper sites are charging just over £15 a night for all the facilities in some months including restaurant and a club while the CL is charging £15.  If the site was charging £20 a night then it is still a better option than using a CL even if the CL is in a vey nice location.  We still use Cls but are gradually going off them.

At present we are on quite a nice CL charging £15 a night and prior to our arrival they mowed the grass, but did not pick up the cut grass.  Consequently we have been tramping grss into the caravan no matter how careful we are when entering the caravan.   However each pitch has a tap and there is a ditch where the waste water can go so in this case happy to pay the £15.

If there is a proper site nearby to a CL that is offering a number of facilties for a few pounds more, then it is probably preferable to use the properm site rather than the CL resulting in the CL closing down.  Also the CL owner has to become a member of the CMC and the cost of this could be several nights income.  Maybe CL owners should not be obliged to pay a membership fee to join the club especially if they are not going to avail themselves of any of the facilities offered by the club.

BTW I am aware that some CL have left the CMC but have become a site on their own reling on past customers and word of mouth.

Posted

You don’t need to be a mamber of CMC to run or own a CL.

Ian

1 person likes this

Posted

I wouldn’t look for hardstandings on a cl/cs that is really too regimented - but £15 what would that include?

It's the extras that get charged - for extra people, for EHU, for awnings, for pets and etc...

in addition, anyone who thinks they are going to make a living from a 5 site "caravan park" had better think again because they have been totally mislead.

Posted

Price to book Parkdean site Breydon water 2nights 25th/26th April £14 for the 2 nights that's £7 a night half the price of a £15 a night CL.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

We use a lot of CL’s. One we have just discovered in North Devon has amazing views, electric and water to each pitch. An immaculate ablutions block, better than most peoples bathrooms at home and hard standings.

(Hardstandings make it useable 12 months of th3 year

Also you are brought tea or coffee on arrival!

All for £14.00 per night.

If one can do it why cannot others!

Posted

We use a lot of CL’s. One we have just discovered in North Devon has amazing views, electric and water to each pitch. An immaculate ablutions block, better than most peoples bathrooms at home and hard standings.

(Hardstandings make it useable 12 months of th3 year

Also you are brought tea or coffee on arrival!

All for £14.00 per night.

If one can do it why cannot others!

Come on don't keep it to yourself.

Happy Caravanning

Monty