Are CLs pricing themselves out of the market?

34 posts in this topic

Posted

I do a lot of cycling around North West Leicestershire and South Derbyshire, I'm typically out around four times a week and pass a few CL's and CS's, I have never seen any of them full and two CS's that I pass regularly are usually empty.

Whenever we book CL's I have to admit to being more drawn to those that have a few photos and a description on the CMC web site, those that are blank just strike me (probably incorrectly) as being an owner that isn't really interested.

With a teenage daughter, CL's are off our list for now but once she's stopped coming with us (or grown out of her "teenage phase"!) we'll be back using them.

Posted

We found some great ones especially in North Norfolk as the big club sites were full of Wardens friends who seemed to boast about it or "my caravan is better than yours" or just too full for our liking.

One we pass on way to Cromer, just off the roundabout on A47 to Kings Lynn looks fab! 

There is a new one in Weybourne, on the road to the beach. Think it was £15 last year. 

I really need to sort out my caravan issues and decide whether we want to get back into vanning again. Get rid of the Abbey and start a fresh with new tow car as well. (New to us) 

Was in a Bailey Olympus van last week, was very very nice. Layout fixed bed. Although the bathroom was a bit tight with the shower taking up the room. 

"

Posted

I really need to sort out my caravan issues and decide whether we want to get back into vanning again. Get rid of the Abbey and start a fresh with new tow car as well. (New to us) 

Having a caravan that you have never really liked sitting in the driveway is probably tainting your view of caravanning, you might find if you get rid of it and start to look around again the enthusiasm will return?

1 person likes this

Posted

Gary, so right you are. We used to love caravanning. In hindsight should not have bought the Abbey so soon after our beloved Lunar. 

Posted

Come on don't keep it to yourself.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Uplands, chittelhambolt, Umberleigh.EX37 9NS

Number 499 in the CMC handbook.

Posted (edited)

:wine:

I think Gary's right, we replaced our twin dinette Lunar with a Senator Virginia and just couldn't get on with it - there were too many compromises after squeezing an island bed into a single axle van. We hardly used it for 7 years ...

When we bought our current van it all changed - until this year ... the plan was to have a series of holidays and breaks to celebrate our Ruby Wedding but that seems to have fallen by the wayside and we've got nothing sorted apart from a hectic week in Szeged and Budapest next month !

:wine::wine::wine:

:England:

Edited by Predictable Bob

Posted

You don’t need to be a mamber of CMC to run or own a CL.

Ian

Oh yes you do. The following from CAMC Website "Running your own CL"

What does it cost to become a CL?

All we charge is the £51 membership yearly subscription and that’s it – no extra or hidden fees. You are then entitled to all member benefits as well!

Posted (edited)

Oh yes you do. The following from CAMC Website "Running your own CL"

What does it cost to become a CL?

All we charge is the £51 membership yearly subscription and that’s it – no extra or hidden fees. You are then entitled to all member benefits as well!

I stand corrected. That’s relatively new and I suspect only for new CLs as the handbook states whether they are a member or not and there are a lot who are not members.

Ian

Edited by ianb

Posted

We stopped paying for both clubs as we rarely used Club sites - too full - too expensive -- too stuck up

We haven't used a CL for YEARS - simply because SWMBO wanted a little more finese that a lot offered 

Plus we only used the club for Insurance and travel insurance / recovery services

NOW we have the motorhome we tend to go to places that give what we now need for less

Especially in France with Motorhome Parking (note Parking = Aires) we don't actually have to pay as we use my Blue Badge