Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotten shower floor (sorry)

Question

Posted

Hi new here hope someone can offer advice. About to buy a 2001 motorhome having put a deposit down and basically wondering if this is a good idea as the seal along the wall of the shower room has curled up no longer protecting the wall from water and this has meant water has leaked down through onto the floor. The block of wood holding the outside skirt has come away as the screw can no longer hold fast due to wet wood. The affected area underneath the van looks to be about foot and a half radius but the water has run along the side underneath where the outer shell meets the floor. The rest of the van is ace and I knocked off 400 of the price to repair this. Any advice ? Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Posted

My advice would be no . 

We don’t have a motor home . But have enough problems with caravans . Unless you can do these repairs yourself if it’s possible . If is a private sale I think you need to reduce price by a lot more than that . Ask in a repair place how much it would cost to repair this type or work . 

Then decide . 

Good luck . 

Posted

My experience of damp caravans and restoring old cars is that the damp/rot that you can see is only 50% of the actual problem. Adjacent panels and hidden areas are usually similarly affected. The problem with trying to repair is that caravans and motor homes are built from the inside out, so trying to dismantle one area for repair usually involves a lot more work to get at it. 

If you’re doing the repair yourself, simply prepare yourself for the damage to be worse than you can see, take your time and take lots of photos as you dismantle things to remind you how it goes back together