I need a new tow car .

22 posts in this topic

Posted

My car is getting old now . ( a bit like me ) 

we need to change it in the next few months .  The last three cars have been mondeos . One of these was an estate . 

We cant afford the huge cost that I see everywhere . I am looking for something 3 or 4 years old . I had said I would like an automatic . This is not essential though .

ive been glancing at Kia not sure which one  , other ford cars like the  Kuga  and . I think out of my price range discovery, VW Or BMW. When we are away I am going to look at everyone’s cars and make enquiries  and notes of them all . but if any of you can give me some ideas I would be grateful . 

While away just before Easter some one was towing with a Porsche .  But I don’t want one of those . 

Posted

There are so many out there it’s difficult to know where to start as it comes down to budget & preference. Mondeo’s are good value with decent weights as are VW Passats. Just be aware that some German cars (some VW’s and most BMW and Mercedes) require cooling upgrades if having a towbar retro fitted which really bumps up the towbar installation cost.

Posted

If you want a lot of car for your money look at a Rexton I have one and love it nearly all Merc parts. I prefer it to my Mobility Leased Alhambra mainly because of the higher up seating. 

S Max great towing Car. Alhambra just as good.

So many good cars out there.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

:wine:

We're quite happy with our Kuga - 163bhp automatic, pulls our 1500kg Lunar Clubman easily. My only irritation is that when the revs drop on hills, instead of dropping a gear early and maintaining speed, it waits and drops two gears ...  I suspect that the newer 180bhp version would cope better

:wine::wine::wine:

:England:

Posted

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 198 bhp, proper torque converter automatic, the 5 seater version has a massive area under the floor where the seats go on the 7 seat version, where you can store loads of stuff without impacting the boot loading area.

Posted

How many forum members are there ? Bacause that is the number of opinions you will get.

For what it's worth,we have gone through a number of cars ,all with long rear over hang ,and even with a correctly loaded caravan, stability has never been 100% ,

Now a Tiguan with short overhang ,stability is 100%

So I would be looking at a car with a short rear overhang. After that ,brand is totally personal.

1 person likes this

Posted

I get a company car and we have five manufacturers to choose from.  If I had to go out and buy my own car from wherever I pleased I wouldn't know where to start due to there being so much choice of similar specs, but I think I'd be starting with those manufacturers offering the best warranty.

My parents are in a similar position looking to replace their ageing 2002 VW Bora, they've spent many weekends trawling round car supermarkets and still not decided!

Posted

I towed with Sierras,Peugeots,4 Jeeps,but best tug was the Rexton which I used for 10 years,now have a Sorento 2.2 some. 7 years old.....again a good tug,poor rearward disability.

Geoff

Posted

My car is getting old now . ( a bit like me ) 

we need to change it in the next few months .  The last three cars have been mondeos . One of these was an estate . 

We cant afford the huge cost that I see everywhere . I am looking for something 3 or 4 years old . I had said I would like an automatic . This is not essential though .

ive been glancing at Kia not sure which one  , other ford cars like the  Kuga  and . I think out of my price range discovery, VW Or BMW. When we are away I am going to look at everyone’s cars and make enquiries  and notes of them all . but if any of you can give me some ideas I would be grateful . 

While away just before Easter some one was towing with a Porsche .  But I don’t want one of those . 

we went out yesterday to view my list of cars I wanted or would like . 

Car 1 , Volvo , out of my price range and nothing near me .

car 2, bmw , very unhelpful probably because I was being too fussy .

the rest was going to be Kia then a few more but we called in my local Ford dealer . He was so helpful took me on a test drive of a Kuga automatic . Not the colour of my choice but we decided to get this car . Again ford being best price for me . It has low millage and the price was right for us . 

I just hope I will cope with the automatic . Test driving was fine but it was on a flat road .  I am thinking should I have a driving lesson for some tips on hills etc . 

Any views or advice . Only positive please or I won’t sleep at night . 

Posted

Oh dear - You've bought an automatic..... You'll never go back you know :jump:

Some tips:

Remember you can't move the shift lever without the ignition being on and your foot is on the brake neither can you take the key out unless the shift lever is in park (although some will allow you to take it out in neutral - it's best to get into the habit of using park)

Driving is quite simple - put in in reverse and you'll go backwards and you should get an audible warning thet you are in reverse - to go forwards put it in Drive - forget 1 & 2 if you have them they are only for keeping the gears in 1 or 1 & 2 - Drive uses all the gears including 1 & 2

Going up hills the gearbox will automatically change down to the gear that is required - there is no need for you to do any gear shifting, going down hills you'll have to use your brakes and although you can put it in 2 or 1, depending on the steepness of the hill you will still have to brake - I've gone down a steep slope in 1 and it made no difference from going down in Drive

Hill starts - my 2.5 tonne truck and 1.8 tonne caravan will hold on a hill - but you can use your hand brake - starting, shift in Drive slight bit of accelerlation, hand brake off and you're moving - far easier than jiggling clutch and accelerator

Importantly enjoy the extra relaxation you will get especially when towing

Posted

Having towed vans for 40 plus years with manual transmission I decided that my left leg had had enough of clutch work so I bought an Insignia Estate diesel automatic. It tows my 1500 kg Fairway 580 with consummate ease, no need to change gear going uphill, hill starts are completely without drama, no more aromas of toasted clutch when reversing with van, my gearbox has manual control over all 6 ratios so you just knock the lever to the left and you have a sequential shift which is great as you get engine braking going down hills. Modern transmissions are light years ahead of the old 3 speed boxes, what's not to like? well if I was pushed for a negative then it would be the slight penalty in fuel consumption over a manual box but what the hell I still get 28 to 30 mpg towing so to me it's a no brainer. It puts the enjoyment back in driving, go for it!

Posted

My golf partner had one of these but thought it 'a bit soft' back end so changed it for a Merc....money no object!

geoff

Posted

A dilemma indeed ? I would honestly struggle trying to find a replacement due to the wide and varied choice. Not saying you have a limited budget but whilst making your decision remember to cost a new tow bar and electrics. Some can be very expensive depending on the make and model of your desired vehicle. ( I fell into that trap ) . The electrics cost more than the actual tow bar. :sad2: 

Posted

Our Tiguan (mentioned previously ) Is a DSG version . And  the relief my left leg feels now is wonderful .

Any automatic will have good and less good aspects , and the Tiguan is no different , when  towing on normal  “A” roads “N” in France ,the auto copes well . But on narrow or twisty roads , gear selection is haphazard , not quite instantly  finding the correct gear for the moment .

My simple answer is to shift the selector to the manual position and drive the car/caravan , choosing the correct gear as required myself , gear selection is by tap up or tap down to select higher or lower gears .

Thus I have the best of both worlds . A mod I am looking at, is to change the steering wheel to one incorporating “flappy paddles “, something which was not available on all variants , and is a simple “plug and play”. I will though be enlisting the help of a local independent VW expert we are friendly with to carry out the change .

Posted

I wasn't sure about getting our Kuga but Jackie wanted it so ...  It pulls our 1500kg van easily, fuel consumption is much better than our old tug and it's far more refined. My only gripe is that when towing up hills when it drops down it usually goes down 2 gears instead of just one, I suspect that if we'd waited for the newer model we'd have got the 180bhp version and the extra torque would have eliminated the problem. If we decide to keep our van I may get it chipped/remapped and see if that resolves the issue.

Posted

Ok this may be a silly question but when you say shift to a lower gear on hills mainly going down hill .

how is this possible in an automatic if there is no clutch . Can you do this while the car is moving just move into 1 or 2 . 

I am collecting this car next week and not really worried but not sure when towing . Down hill more than up hill . Or like manual car just keep foot on brake  . I am a confidant driver but need to understand everything . I have never used cruise control when towing either . 

So should I have a driving lesson ?

Posted (edited)

Nor, for twelve years I towed with a 5-speed manual Shogun 2800 LWB. After a quarter of a million miles the big-ends had had quite enough. With some trepidation I replaced it with a much newer Shogun 3200 DiD Automatic. Serious trepidation ensued when my first tow came up. How will auto cope? Will I have to use the override facility? I was astonished, just hitched up, selected 4-wheel drive as per manufacturer instruction and went caravanning. No dramas, no stress and no changing gear. I'll never go back to manual transmission!

Ian

Edited by welder

Posted

Thank you Ian 

well I picked my Kuga up today drove home with no problems . Very strange feeling at roundabouts not changing gears . It felt very powerful and I was pleased with it . I had been told it is better being titanium and TDCI . But 

I was a little disappointed it not being such high speck on the inside as my mondeo . ( do they still make them like that now )  and being 3 years old it had a few minor marks . Otherwise I think I should be ok towing . We are due to go away on Sunday . But may test electrics before 5en just to make sure they work . 

Thank for all replies . 

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok this may be a silly question but when you say shift to a lower gear on hills mainly going down hill .

how is this possible in an automatic if there is no clutch . Can you do this while the car is moving just move into 1 or 2 . 

I am collecting this car next week and not really worried but not sure when towing . Down hill more than up hill . Or like manual car just keep foot on brake  . I am a confidant driver but need to understand everything . I have never used cruise control when towing either . 

So should I have a driving lesson ?

I think the Ford power shift box is similar to a VAG DSG ,In my Tiguan  ,when going down hill if I touch the brakes , the box will shift down to give some engine braking , and also when slowing down under braking , say pulling up at traffic lights the box shifts down , again to give enging braking in the same way as if you were driving a manual .

Also when using the manual mode , so long as the engine is not forced to over rev , you can chose to shift down yourself .

I use cruise control , but strangely , the car is less economical on cruise , when compaired with right foot

Posted

At the moment I strongly believe, that the RAM trucks are the best solution fo rthose, who tow and can tolerate their gas mileage. Of course, it always depends on what you tow and the area where you travel.

Posted (edited)

Hi Darrel, the Ram's a fine vehicle but would be a liability here in the UK - most roads are centuries old and far too narrow for a large pickup !

Nor,

At one time the Titanium replaced the old Ghia spec and was the top spec however they now have Titanium, Titanium X and Vignale - some parts are still an option on the Vignale !!!

Jackie's 2014 Titanium X Sport Kuga has a much better spec than my 2017 Titanium X Focus ...

Edited by Predictable Bob

Posted

We traded in our 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 120k miles on speedo for a 2013 Mitsubishi Shogun.  While the Shogun has no issue with the caravan I am beginning to regret not upgrading to a later model Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The Jeep is more modern and has far more essential toys like TPMS however it is easier for me to enter and exit.