Windbreaks - Surely the marmite of the camping world

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Topic on FB about windbreaks and already the comments are rising :) I am not sure what it is about them that causes such a big reaction? 

Personally I don't like the ones that go all around the pitch and then some but if that is what you like then that is your choice.

Posted

Wind breaks ok if you want to shade from wind.

Trouble is some campers want to build a Fort around there pitch.

There are quiet a few contentious items

Washing lines

Flapping flags

Porch lights

Motor home car trailers

Toilet doors banging shut

Barking Dogs

Can anyone add to this list

I know what a moaner.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

2 people like this

Posted

Yes all of those.....My windbreak is used to BBC cooking only,not compound building. 

Geoff

Posted

Some are to keep yapping dogs from nipping at our ankles as we head to the block......:dog:

Posted

Motor home car trailers.... don't get me started....:sofa:

Posted

Wind breaks ok if you want to shade from wind.

Trouble is some campers want to build a Fort around there pitch.

There are quiet a few contentious items

Washing lines

Flapping flags

Porch lights

Motor home car trailers

Toilet doors banging shut

Barking Dogs

Can anyone add to this list

I know what a moaner.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Yes and just coming back from a rally one IMO to cap all others, those "B" awful building trade support type of generators.

Posted

Yes all of those.....My windbreak is used to BBC cooking only,not compound building. 

Geoff

I've always preferred ITV myself - each to his own!!

Posted

I use windbreaks to stop people falling into the crocodile infested moat that I excavate round my pitch.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes and just coming back from a rally one IMO to cap all others, those "B" awful building trade support type of generators.

I would say any type of generator.

Have 2 generators, would not take on holiday to cause announce.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

I used to only use a wind break on the beach , but I am now getting a” my space” mentality .

Last year in Black Knowl  , we were pitched close to a picket fence , and some lazy caravanners  to idle  to walk around the path would cross directly behind the caravan , in one case tripping on the waste hose and dislodging it from the drain .I eventually strung a “washing line “ to deter this from happening again .

In France we have a regular pitch at a caravan site we have been using for a number of years .

The pitch boundary at a low wall facing the Dordogne river , adjacent to our pitch is the gate to access the beach on the river , and on a number of occasions whilst sitting close to the wall reading etc , people have just  sauntered in-between us and   the awning stepping over guy lines  to get to the gate , I would not do it , I feel you are entering personal space when you short cut across someone’s pitch .

So this year a wind break will be placed to cut draughts on the BBQ , and if it happens to block the short cut , so be it  

2 people like this

Posted

We have been on two sites in France where judicious use of windbreaks was needed, firstly to stop everyone shortcutting to the bar area and then to stop two youths,English,from cutting through our awning to pitch behind....Dad thought it logistically a brilliant idea!

Geoff

2 people like this

Posted

Hi

I to have used my wind break to block people using my pitch as short cut, but never used to make a encampment.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

I forgot to mention that the two English youths were on bikes!

Geoff

Posted

Battlements on order :jump:

Posted

We use a see through Jormax windbreak mainly to contain the dogs.

Posted (edited)

Hi

I to have used my wind break to block people using my pitch as short cut, but never used to make a encampment.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Funny enough I had the same issue last week end. Had 5 nights at my seasonal pitch and being an end pitch adjacent to the boundary fence there is really only enough room for my porch awning but kinda got fed up with the odd dog walker and kids flashing past on bikes so had to take the Devon "get off my laaand" farmer attitude and erect the Hadrian Wall windbreak. It also protects my Tug being a rather expensive Mercedes E350 Coupe which I worked very hard for.... :horse:

Edited by Tantrum Tourer