EASTER

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Easter Bank holiday again not stopped raining so far.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Rain here too:undecided:.

Posted

Same here - heavy rain for most of the past two days, the site is heavily waterlogged which I think is surprising a lot of campers as it’s on a very steep hill

Posted

We went away early this year as our daughter is away skiing with the school & I think we did the right thing! It was cold but dry in York, we got back home at 2.00pm, emptied the caravan & it hasn’t stopped raining since!

Posted

Raining in Paris as well and the site is a mess.

Ian

Posted

Strange really we had a lovely three days at the end of January at Ferry Meadows in Peterborough but it seems to have been terrible since then!!!

David

Posted

Not wishing to be smug, but we were away last weekend and hardly saw any rain.

Would have been away this weekend too, but a Tractor road run tomorrow and a family lunch on Monday put paid to that!

Cheers

Keith

Posted

Rain, sleet & a biting wind up here in NE Scotland (CC at Stonehaven). Just waiting for the snow now :sad2:

Posted

Dry here so far but cold! Hopefully the snow will miss us.

Posted

Thetford forest, non stop rain so far 

Posted

30 hours rain,flooded fields,yellow flag on rally.Rain stopped for Gala 7's today but freezing wind.Yellow warning for snow and snow plough out ready.

Geoff

Posted

Rain and more rain. Some roads flooded here. Horrible.:undecided:

Posted

After last nights heavy rain through Norfolk , Thetford Forest CMC site was very waterlogged .

So we decided to pack up early and head back home , and that was a good move .

Thetford Forest to SE London , NO SPEEDING , just on 2 hrs . the trip up to the site took over 3.5 hrs .

Unfortunately , this morning we witnessed a melt down between a club member and a Warden , It appears to have started a few days ago when the member thought he had booked a hard standing pitch , and the warden said impossible , first come first served, no pre booking of particular type pitches other than serviced  ( news to me ) , so the guy ended up on a grass pitch.

On  trying to leave this morning , the guy managed to bog his motorhome down, I offered to help pull him out if he could get hold of a tow rope .

That’s when it fell to bits . Apparently he went to the site warden to ask/demand  to borrow a tow rope , which the warden did not have , so that and the problem with the pitch ended up with a row by his motorhome , It eventually calmed down , and with a few strong shoulders we got the motorhome moving , the problem was the guy had 2 settings on the throttle, off and full , and no amount of coaching got him to ease  off , this ended up with 2 deep tram lines from his pitch to the harder ground, I had initially sided with the member until I saw his driving manner and a long conversation with the warden   , as you might expect , the warden was not impressed . I get the feeling this member might not be a member next year ,he  as was a new member only  this year (according to the warden later  and so far had only visited 3 sites (    data protection ?).

The warden is now considering closing all the grass pitches for the time being due to the poor conditions.

Us, no application of power , very slippery grass , pulled off no problem engine in idle .

Posted

Well I'm glad that this Easter is done & dusted.

What with lousy weather, then I broke the hitchlock key (& had the devils own job getting it unlocked) then to cap it all I got rear end by an HGV (2 miles from home) & I reckon it's a write off.

No injuries, not even a drop of blood spilled...mind you as Elvis said I was "All shook up"

Never mind, back to normal tomorrow.

WP_20180403_001.jpg

WP_20180403_002.jpg

WP_20180403_003.jpg

WP_20180403_006.jpg

WP_20180403_005.jpg

Posted

#Andyn   OUCH as long as you are OK the caravan can be sorted

2 people like this

Posted

We decided last year to return to Twin Lakes France for Easter and by last Monday (26/3/18) got itchy feet so we tripped to 

Little Switzerland for one night said Hi to Tony and Debs the proprietors and said we'd be back on the other way home 

Tuesday (27/3/18) we took the train which was interesting as Steph was in her car whilst I drove the motorhome and we managed to be in the same carriage 

We spent one night at Citie of Europe after the train and met up with a bunch of motorhomers from the other club Motorhome Fun who we knew were returning from Morocco so had a van party

We then stopped this was the 28th at Arnage near Le Mans as we didn't set off until nearly lunchtime from Coquelles

We arrived to our destination for a month by 4pm after going on the N10 which was a bind as the motorhome is over 3.5t was had to stay at 80kph with all the trucks so every hill had to go through the gears as 99% of the road we had to travel has a restriction of No Overtaking for vehicles over 3.5t  

So we arrived at Twin Lakes by Thursday 29th in time to see the weather warm up though remain moist - today has been the warmest day too good job with work on prettying the static to do 

BUT tomorrow is Fishing day I'm going to have a day off woodwork 

So lots of relaxing to be done once we have sorted our new to us holiday home base out we have even managed to sort out some geocaching and got invites to some local events  

Posted (edited)

#Andyn   OUCH as long as you are OK the caravan can be sorted

As it's a 12 year old van I'm guessing at a write off......which is a b****r as I hadn't planned on investing on a new(er) van for a year or two or even three.

Edited by andyn

Posted

We also saw a caravan that had been rear ended north bound on the A1 on Good Friday, the new looking Elddis twin axle was a mess.

I suppose the main thing is no-one was hurt but it’s the aggro of finding a replacement especially as the season has started. I hope your insurance are on the ball. Is there much damage to the car other than what’s visible in the photos?

Posted

Andy that is so sad . The car as well . 

I always think HOW  when caravans are big and white they can’t be missed . 

We are off to the Netherlands on Sunday I’m towing . The Dutch drivers are as mad as some of the drivers over here . No patience . They just try to get in front of us even though I try to give way as much as possible .

but at least your not hurt , good luck sorting it all out . 

Posted

I suppose the main thing is no-one was hurt but it’s the aggro of finding a replacement especially as the season has started. I hope your insurance are on the ball. Is there much damage to the car other than what’s visible in the photos?

Gary, You're right about the aggro in finding a suitable replacement....had a quick look around & doesn't look as though there's too much out there (in the format I want). Insurance is already working though, fortunately I won't need a 'van again until late May so a couple fo months to get things sorted (hopefully).

Car's driveable. It's future will all depend on whether, or not, there's any "tweaking" of the rear chassis/box section & I won't know that until it goes "up in  the air".

Andy

Posted

Easter over brilliant Sunshine now. Don't go away Easter but fill sorry for those that do with their Kids.

Myself was going away next week but Wife went into Hospital yesterday,  all on hold now.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

but fill sorry for those that do with their Kids.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Monty, kids are quite happy playing in the mud - it's modern parenting that stops them from doing it and then complain that their kids are underfoot all the time

My grandkids ended up with dirty clothes for paying in and clean clothes for going out in, they, and many other children were enjoying their childhood rolling down the wet muddy grass slopes amonst other muddy things... :jump:

1 person likes this

Posted

Monty, kids are quite happy playing in the mud - it's modern parenting that stops them from doing it and then complain that their kids are underfoot all the time

My grandkids ended up with dirty clothes for paying in and clean clothes for going out in, they, and many other children were enjoying their childhood rolling down the wet muddy grass slopes amonst other muddy things... :jump:

keep them away from my nice clean Van. lol

Posted

Thank goodness nobody was hurt. Hope all goes ok Andy.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hope all goes ok Andy.

Quick update.

Loss adjustor comes on Monday to deal with caravan...I've a pretty good idea what the outcome will be.

Car goes into repair shop week after next for approx 10 days so it can be restored to its original design.

Now all I've got to do is find a suitable replacement van....hey ho..... & 2 berths are not the easiest to find.