Jacks - what do you use?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I need a new jack for the caravan, just wondered what everyone else uses?  Scissor jacks are light & low cost but not particularly reliable or stable, bottle jacks are okay but the low profile ones are expensive & trolley jacks are heavy & big, so what does everyone else prefer?

Posted (edited)

I was tempted with a Kojack

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kojack-Lite-Caravan-Jack-Single/dp/B003UMIV6K

but the reviews are not good , so from ebay I obtained the pads from a kojack kit which are bolted to the caravan chassis ,and from amazon bought a good quality double lift bottle  jack and a set of axle stands .

I carry the jack and a single axle stand , and with this and 4x2 blocks I already carry for corner steadies , can get the caravan high enough to do a wheel change .I used to carry a trolley jack , but the weight !

At home a 2 ton trolley jack and axle stands is what I use to put on winter wheels

Edited by Rodders

Posted (edited)

At home it is a big proper garage trolley jack. Away from home it will be whatever my recovery service turn up with. Personally now too old and things too dangerous on roads to take on wheel changing when already paid for that service, plus don't want to carry always the weight of a proper, safe to use, jack.

If for on site fitting second lock on twin axle I would use an air bladder under the adjacent locked wheel to unload the second wheel for fitting its lock.

Edited by Ocsid

Posted

Mayday Mayday.....

geoff

Posted

I need a new jack for the caravan, just wondered what everyone else uses?  Scissor jacks are light & low cost but not particularly reliable or stable, bottle jacks are okay but the low profile ones are expensive & trolley jacks are heavy & big, so what does everyone else prefer?

The recovery service I'm subscribed to that year 

As a Disabled driver I get priority too 

Posted

same, better safe than sorry and any way too old too mess about crawling around car /caravan

regards Martin

Posted

I agree using recovery service is sensible at the side of a busy road/motorway but aligning Alko wheel locks appears to be a challenge without jacking it up. I also like to have the kit to be able to change a wheel myself if necessary. I’ve currently got a good quality scissor jack but I want something better 

Posted

I suggest with a need to jack at the roadside for a puncture that you set things up by using your car to haul the deflate wheel well up onto something to increase the chassis height from the ground. Using your blocks etc. 

This makes using a range of jacks both possible in that you can get them under, and for scissor jacks ease the lifting as in the most squat state they are not very effective so very hard work.

Once lifted off blocks remove them to benefit from the clearance getting an inflated wheel in place.

I did this with waiting for the recovery chap a couple of years back, he had never come across it and commented it was a great help.

Not my idea but one I was told of ages ago and always used when fit enough to do these things myself.

Posted

Have got E&P so hydraulic jacks permanently fitted to axle. Prior to this I would tow the van up onto my levelling blocks so one wheel was in the air, twin axle.

For locks only ever used one on the twin axle.

Ian

Posted

Only ever had one caravan puncture in 40 years of towing. But I always carry scissor jack light weight and cheap. Our I did it was get spare wheel slide it under chassis for safety loosen wheel nuts lower corner stays put scissor jack under axle jack up little then lower corner stays do this till wheel of ground, remove wheel slide it under chassis, pull out spare and fit wheels. Pull out punctured wheel. Lower down gradually as raising. Should be safe that way using scissor jack.

Don't forget to fully tighten wheel nuts when lowered to ground.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

I use the AA  :2thumbsup:

Posted

Even being past my sell by date , I still believe there is no harm in being prepared.

Years ago I suffered a double blowout , once in France on a D road  , total disintegrated tyre , then on the way home , on the M25 , again total disintegration, and struggling in both cases with a scissor jack  ,then having to buy , locally in France , at a price, a replacement .  Knowing what I know now , wrong tyres ( OEM on caravan ) and overloaded   . But that is not the point .

I can imagine being  deep in France on  a quiet N road  at 1am , calling Britannia Rescue  , and then waiting for hours for a local rescue company to be roused from their Riccard induced slumbers .

Nope , while I can , DIY .

Ps where is a Highways Womble when you need one , Had a flat on my MX5 , again on the M25 OS  front , had all I needed to change it , but would have been happier for a HA back stop to cover me , I waited and then got on with it,  Triangle , Hi Vis etc  , and in at least half an hour , on my own , even having been told they would be with you shortly

This , near the M25 Swanley junction , where there is normally at least 2 HA Land Rovers parked up ,

Then they will do a full closure because a fag end is blocking a lane.

That’s it rant over !!

Posted

Hi

Good to get recovery service to do it if want to wait in dangerous situation for 2 hours. Would rather get moving as soon as possible.  Must admit I have twin axle drove on to safe layby. In fact did not know had a flat tyre till pulled into petrol station just going out of Glasgow and someone pointed it out don't know our long been flat.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Thanks for all the comments.  At home I use a trolley jack when removing/replacing the wheels over winter, my main concern was at the side of the road in the event of a puncture, I wouldn't DIY at the side of the motorway but anywhere else I would.

I'm hoping that now we're swapping to a twin axle in the event of one puncture, the adjacent wheel will prevent the caravan dropping down too far which should make it easier to get a bottle jack under.

I like the idea of pulling it up onto a leveling ramp to increase ground clearance as well.