CHARGING ELECTRIC BIKE BATTERY

Question

Posted (edited)

Hi

I want to charge my 36volt electric bike battery from my Campervan auxiliary battery using a inverter.  The bike charger say Input 240v 1.8amp, Output 42v 2amp.

Does anyone charge there bike using inverter and what Wattage.  I have a old 600watt inverter I have taken out of my Workshop van, I would like to use a smaller inverter it if that is possible. Would I need to use a Pure Sinewave inverter the one I have got is not but still charged my laptop and worked Gas analyzer also 180 Mig welder and drills.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Edited by MONTYSA
Mixed out some word

12 answers to this question

Posted

Monty

Sorry can't answer your question as we charge our bike batteries from the mains whilst on site.

David

Posted

You don't say what size your battery bank is or do you intend to do it whilst the engine is running ???

We have used our 36v one but our inverter is a 1000w  and we only do it whilst driving even though we could get by with the 300Amp hour battery bank 

BTW we also charge my mobility scooter the same way (at the same time ) and the charger input for that is 240v10amp

Posted

Going charge when engine running

Posted

Hi

I want to charge my 36volt electric bike battery from my Campervan auxiliary battery using a inverter.  The bike charger say Input 240v 1.8amp, Output 42v 2amp.

Does anyone charge there bike using inverter and what Wattage.  I have a old 600watt inverter I have taken out of my Workshop van, I would like to use a smaller inverter it if that is possible. Would I need to use a Pure Sinewave inverter the one I have got is not but still charged my laptop and worked Gas analyzer also 180 Mig welder and drills.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Does the 600w inverter push out 42v, 24v or 12v?

Posted

You don't say what size your battery bank is or do you intend to do it whilst the engine is running ???

We have used our 36v one but our inverter is a 1000w  and we only do it whilst driving even though we could get by with the 300Amp hour battery bank 

BTW we also charge my mobility scooter the same way (at the same time ) and the charger input for that is 240v10amp

Surely something is wrong here with a 1000W powering a charger with an input of 240 Volt 10 amp?

That's 2.4 times the inverter's ratings, so did you mean the chagers output , not its input is 10 Amps?

I have not dared yet to use my e-bikes charger off one of my inverters, so follow this with interest.

Past problems with lithium battery chargers for laptops [DELL] leads me to think the only way I would try is using my pure sine-wave unit, the bikes charger looks a bit expensive to risk it on a modified wave inverter?

Posted (edited)

Does the 600w inverter push out 42v, 24v or 12v?

A 600w (or any size inverter) pushes out 230 volts AC...

As far as I know (that means don't quote me lol) an inverter has to be able to handle the input wattage of the item being used at 12 volts (plus a bit for the running of the inverter), so to heat a 1000 watt kettle you would need a 1200 watt inverter minimum and the battery would have to have a 84 amp hour output.

In the OPs case he'd be using 2 amps @ 12 volts - about 6 watts so a 300 watt inverter should handle it but I can't see a reason for going smaller - my 2000 watt inverter is only slightly larger than my 300 watt inverter

Edited by Rune Caster

Posted

Sorry Rune I am being a bit thick this morning and was having a blonde moment.  :wow:

Posted

Hi

Want to go lower wattage inverter as less drain on battery and my 600watt is about 15yrs old maybe older.

The inverter would only be used to charge bike and wife's mobility scooter batteries as all other equipment works from 12volts.

The other thing 600watt is not pure sinwave.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Keith, your inverter will only drain what is being drawn on it plus a tiny bit for running it and that tiny bit will be about the same for a 300 watt or a 600 watt.

The only real reason to upgrade would be to get a pure sine wave but bear in mind the following:

Almost all consumer grade inverters that are sold as a "pure sine wave inverter" do not produce a smooth sine wave output at all, just a less choppy output than the square wave (two step) and modified sine wave (three step) inverters. However, this is not critical for most electronics as they deal with the output quite well

I'd guess at saying that the cheaper it is, the more removed it would be from a pure sine wave

A modified sine wave inverter will run a transformer (as in a charger) but there is a likelyhood of the transformer overheating

Posted

Might as well fit 600watt see what happens it has run computer battery charger and Engine diagnostic equipment without trouble in past.

Going to fit it now.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Hi 

Sorted it woosh bikes got back to me and said he uses a 500watt inverter from eBay cost £19 it plugs into cigarette lighter in his car. Says no problem blowing fuse as bike charger only draws 100watt.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Surely something is wrong here with a 1000W powering a charger with an input of 240 Volt 10 amp?

That's 2.4 times the inverter's ratings, so did you mean the chagers output , not its input is 10 Amps?

I have not dared yet to use my e-bikes charger off one of my inverters, so follow this with interest.

Past problems with lithium battery chargers for laptops [DELL] leads me to think the only way I would try is using my pure sine-wave unit, the bikes charger looks a bit expensive to risk it on a modified wave inverter?

DOH

yep the OUTPUT is 10amp input is just over 2 AMP serves me right for touch typing and not reading my post proeprly

AND yes I can still touch type and it's a good skill to have