How old is your motor mover?

Question

Posted

Interesting conversation this afternoon with M.B&G Warranty company, I have had their cover (very good) for last couple of years as I didn't have manufacturers warranty.

Question was asked ' Do you have a motor mover?', how old is it as it could be out of warranty?  As it isn't a manufacturers fitted 'on build' accessory it isn't covered by their warranty anyway...well mine has been on two caravans so far and is well out of date,possibly 7 or 8 years old.

They have policy that will cover the actual mechanics,electrics and the handset......well I did have to replace the handset and expensive it was,the control box was also replaced but that was f.o.c.  so thought cover at £35 a year was probably worth it. 

geoff

14 answers to this question

Posted

We got rid of our caravan last year we bought it in 2003 and had the motor mover fitted from new 

Although we did have it replaced within a year due to a design fault on the new model we bought so the motor mover was 12 years old when we sold the caravan 

Posted (edited)

Mine is ten years old came at same time as the van, a Powrtouch. It has not been trouble free requiring a replacement £80 handset out of warranty.

Previous Reich at seven years went with van and was completely trouble free. It was not man enough for the change in van hence being left where it was and agreed in the PX.

Neither, were auto engaged an area where friends I know have had a series of failures.

So £35 per year insurance would not have been value to me.

Edited by Ocsid

Posted

We have had our auto engage mover for the past 5 years with no issues.  Considering that the £35 only covers the mover for breakdown, I think it is quite expensive so of no value to us, but thanks for the info anyway.

Posted

I don't think the policy is breakdown only....repair and replacement were mentioned,up to cost of original purchase. As the replacement handset from Purpleline cost £120 this would have been well covered...

However,will revert on this when full document studied.....previously for work on it I had to return to dealer (x2) at 100 miles round trip each time,now I can use my mobile fitter.

geoff

Posted

Normally the motor mover is insured for theft etc excl damage or breakdown with your normal caravan policy and this should include the handset if you are willing to pay the excess etc?

Posted

I don't think the policy is breakdown only....repair and replacement were mentioned,up to cost of original purchase. As the replacement handset from Purpleline cost £120 this would have been well covered...

However,will revert on this when full document studied.....previously for work on it I had to return to dealer (x2) at 100 miles round trip each time,now I can use my mobile fitter.

geoff

Assuming that you took out the cover in the first place, 7 years at £35 works out to £245 - over twice what you paid for the handset 

Posted

Hi

Have had my Rhyno motor mover for 14 years never had a problem with it.

Would not insure it. Being in motor trade I found these after market insurances have to many get outs.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Assuming that you took out the cover in the first place, 7 years at £35 works out to £245 - over twice what you paid for the handset 

It isn't for new movers.....5 years or more...and mine is creaking now!

geoff

Posted

Interesting conversation this afternoon with M.B&G Warranty company, I have had their cover (very good) for last couple of years as I didn't have manufacturers warranty.

Question was asked ' Do you have a motor mover?', how old is it as it could be out of warranty?  As it isn't a manufacturers fitted 'on build' accessory it isn't covered by their warranty anyway...well mine has been on two caravans so far and is well out of date,possibly 7 or 8 years old.

They have policy that will cover the actual mechanics,electrics and the handset......well I did have to replace the handset and expensive it was,the control box was also replaced but that was f.o.c.  so thought cover at £35 a year was probably worth it. 

geoff

Hi

What does it cost a year to take out after market warranty for Caravan. Do you have to take it to a designated service workshop.

Since purchasing my Swift Conqueror 2001 in 2004, I have spent about £300 for repair parts.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

My M B&G policy for the 'van under 5 years old was £190 a year,as an older van it is now on a rolling £18.90 a month,cancel when you want. To put this into perspective I had the Thetford Fridge Control Unit replaced,twice,..and a full PCB Unit....with all the labour that involved. Any Approved workshop can do it and their approval is pretty quick. It does cover delamination and water ingress!

As I said initially the previous owner of my 'van had never had it serviced by a dealer,indeed I don't even know where it came from,and he had only one stamp on the book from a mobile man.....so the re-seller,a non-franchise dealer paid for the first year with M B&G.

I am not practical in matters mechanical so alternatives would have been no extra Warranty and pay a dealer to do it...and fork out. Likewise, having mover cover now is an essential,it is a mover that is obsolete so parts will be difficult and I physically cannot move a caravan within my home storage without one....so £35 is likely cost of dinner for two Mothering Sunday in real terms.

No mover,no caravanning.

geoff

Posted

My M B&G policy for the 'van under 5 years old was £190 a year,as an older van it is now on a rolling £18.90 a month,cancel when you want. To put this into perspective I had the Thetford Fridge Control Unit replaced,twice,..and a full PCB Unit....with all the labour that involved. Any Approved workshop can do it and their approval is pretty quick. It does cover delamination and water ingress!

As I said initially the previous owner of my 'van had never had it serviced by a dealer,indeed I don't even know where it came from,and he had only one stamp on the book from a mobile man.....so the re-seller,a non-franchise dealer paid for the first year with M B&G.

I am not practical in matters mechanical so alternatives would have been no extra Warranty and pay a dealer to do it...and fork out. Likewise, having mover cover now is an essential,it is a mover that is obsolete so parts will be difficult and I physically cannot move a caravan within my home storage without one....so £35 is likely cost of dinner for two Mothering Sunday in real terms.

No mover,no caravanning.

geoff

Hi

Definitely sounds you are happy with the way you are doing it and as it gives you peace of mind that is all that matters.

As someone who does own maintenance it would not suit me. Over the 14 years had Van would have cost me over £3000 insurance. But again I have been lucky with a Caravan giving me little problems, charger unit and glass sink top.

Awww forgot Numerous Jocky wheels destroyed by using motor mover.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Thanks Monty...yes it is the comfort of having this sort of cover I seek. I am unable to keep on the ground or kneel for any time..unless there is a crane to lift me back up....

geoff

Posted

Thanks Monty...yes it is the comfort of having this sort of cover I seek. I am unable to keep on the ground or kneel for any time..unless there is a crane to lift me back up....

geoff

Hi 

You sound like me hard to get up and down with the Arthritis. Difficult jobs I get one of my boys round to do.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Must be 10 years+ Had them out under extended warranty and is was well worth it. New rollers and a new board, think the fitter said it was knocking on close to £200 so my £35ish was well worth it.

It is starting to play up a bit now though so may have to look into my options