VW issues , time to move on ?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been “loyal “ to VW Cars for the last 9 years ,each with about 3 years ownership , and am now losing faith.

Starting with a new Passat , multiple problems , including , central locking , Parking brake , and the infamous injector problem .

We then moved on to a manual Tiguan, straight after 3 year warrantee ended  , Failed sat nav , VW offered part payment of £700 leaving us to pay the other £700 , needless to say a quick look at Ebay and £500 got us a later version , We then took out an extended warrantee , and had a failed a/c compressor replaced , followed by a failed water pump .

Our latest Tiguan , so far has had a split air cleaner replaced , a crankshaft oil seal replaced(gearbox out job) , is due for front suspension bush replacement ( Normal wear and tear!!  ) this  at 34000 miles ! needless to say extended warrantee is being done , although I wonder if refusing to have emission update is going to be an issue.

Perhaps we are just unlucky

Posted

Rod, I keep reading stories like this constsntly on Facebook - not just VW but Ford, Mittsubishi, Nissan, in fact you name a marche I'll find you a story.

I believe the simple reason is that new cars are just not up to it any more and the manufacturers don't care - the computer systems they use - fly by wire - name taken from the milti-million pound aircraft industry to describe minimum tested parts put in to something that costs less than a nth of that price - do you honestly think you are going to get anything new that is going to be better - or even work?

2 people like this

Posted

It isn’t just VW, we have a few BMW’s on the fleet at work with a whole host of issues, particularly with the hybrid 330e models. My 520 is now 14 months old and now starts to run “lumpy”, a “drivetrain malfunction” message appears and it goes into limp mode. BMW have so far failed to fix it.......

Posted

I think a lot of the problems stem from the EU imposing emission limits so manufacturers are concentrating on that aspect and not quality. BTW I think that VW is the 4th most popular new car despite the scandal.  In South Africa it the Amarok is favoured over the Ranger for farm work etc as it is more reliable.

Posted

I have been “loyal “ to VW Cars for the last 9 years ,each with about 3 years ownership , and am now losing faith.

Starting with a new Passat , multiple problems , including , central locking , Parking brake , and the infamous injector problem .

We then moved on to a manual Tiguan, straight after 3 year warrantee ended  , Failed sat nav , VW offered part payment of £700 leaving us to pay the other £700 , needless to say a quick look at Ebay and £500 got us a later version , We then took out an extended warrantee , and had a failed a/c compressor replaced , followed by a failed water pump .

Our latest Tiguan , so far has had a split air cleaner replaced , a crankshaft oil seal replaced(gearbox out job) , is due for front suspension bush replacement ( Normal wear and tear!!  ) this  at 34000 miles ! needless to say extended warrantee is being done , although I wonder if refusing to have emission update is going to be an issue.

Perhaps we are just unlucky

Hi

Think you are just unlucky.

But after that much unluck I would move on to another make.

Have a Seat Alhambra, VW group, at moment no problems after one year. Had two Ford S Max before only had one problem that was the Sony Radio. But that was probably just good luck.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

For that size ( mid range SUV ) type vehicle my choice would be Volvo CX60 or the new Toyota Rav 4.

Happy caravanning.