Recently retired

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I have sadly retired from work although I still have a few hours work once a week in a supermarket . 

Having always had to go away in school holidays I can now go anytime I like :banana: hopefully a lot cheaper  . Do I still need to plan and book as before or can I just make my mind up and go . I always planned and booked my four trips away as soon as possible and the sites were always busy or  full . 

I am thinking of booking a cl in August and the rest I thought,  we can maybe just go when we want. Do sites still get booked up out of school holidays is it still important to book .

It is life changing  although I have booked for almost 3 weeks in April . Hoping nothing happens before then . 

Posted

Nor,

We find that places either in caravan sites, Cottages etc get booked up quickly all year if they are popular. So we do plan ahead if we can to avoid disappointment.  Ireland is a must for us to book in January for our September holiday as the apartment is very popular. 

Our fav cl site at Maxey we could turn up and get a place, but as it grew in popularity we had to plan ahead.

Enjoy your retirement. 

Posted

I don't book out of season although I do like using C&CC temporary holiday sites in season, come and go as you please answer often as you like whilst they are running.

Posted

Must admit that most of my bookings for the whole caravanning year are now made by mid-January. As nearly all of these are rallies run by CMC,RCA or ICA I can plan others,perhaps Boundless or Northumbria C.A, to fill the gaps.

I think that as far as mainland Europe is concerned my days are limited now,perhaps short hop into Holland rather than 300/400 miles in a day between sites as was once the case.

geoff

Posted

Hi

As I can go when I please I just phone day or so before going.  If need to be away at a curtain time I then book well ahead.

Years ago before mobile phones if we hadn't booked we had to drive to sites in area and hope not turned away then of to another. But with mobile phone you can pull over and phone ahead, this is for someone like me starting for Cornwall then ending up in Wales.  

Happy Caravanning

Monty

1 person likes this

Posted

We only book high season as being in a motorhome we have a little flexibility and we do tend to head to Folkestone then France 

Once there we ca pick and choose which ever village we feel by how little their aire costs for the night if we find the place nice we can stop over another night 

This is Something we do lack in England 

Posted

This is Something we do lack in England

Quite agree Graham.

geoff

1 person likes this

Posted

Running down (up?) to retirement myself - roll on December 2018!

We get away at least once a month in the caravan, normally a Wednesday arrival and depart the following Monday. If there is anywhere specific we want to visit, we make sure we book well in advance (particularly if a Bank Holiday is involved).

For the majority of outings, we leave it until the weekend before we are going and just see where has availability. Never been disappointed yet and have visited some very interesting places as a result.

Cheers

Keith

1 person likes this

Posted

We have never bothered to book months in advance except for the ferry to France or Spain.  Once on the continent you can just arrive at any site and there will be space however as we have a twin axle and 3 small dogs we do phoned and ask if they will take a TA and 3 dogs.  Occasionally we will book if we want a specific pitch i.e fully serviced.  As for the UK gave up on CMC as they are too expensive for what they offer and tend to use CLs.