Detached caravans

37 posts in this topic

Posted

A question...

Where do most people put their safety cable on the tow vehicle?

Around the tow ball - so when the tow ball detaches from the tow bar...

Posted

We clip ours onto the tow bar.

Posted

I have a electrically operated tow ball and you can only connect to the tow ball.

Posted

A question...

Where do most people put their safety cable on the tow vehicle?

Around the tow ball - so when the tow ball detaches from the tow bar...

It's my understanding that a Breakaway-Cable is meant to be attached to a designated hole on the tow vehicle side of the towball?

Similarly, in Australia where we use Safety-Chain(s) like they do on the North American continent, the tow hitch itself contains eyes/holes to which we attach the safety chain(s). These mounting point holes are either side of the towball, on the tow vehicle side of the towball. 

As an aside, the following images kind of summarise our typical hitches down-under. Virtually every light motor vehicle that has a towbar fitted, has this design of detachable towing hitch:

Tow Hitchimage2.jpg

_Towing Hitch Receiver Diagram.jpg

Posted

It's my understanding that a Breakaway-Cable is meant to be attached to a designated hole on the tow vehicle side of the towball?

Similarly, in Australia where we use Safety-Chain(s) like they do on the North American continent, the tow hitch itself contains eyes/holes to which we attach the safety chain(s). These mounting point holes are either side of the towball, on the tow vehicle side of the towball. 

As an aside, the following images kind of summarise our typical hitches down-under. Virtually every light motor vehicle that has a towbar fitted, has this design of detachable towing hitch:

Tow Hitchimage2.jpg

_Towing Hitch Receiver Diagram.jpg

You would be correct in making that assumption but the tow bars rarely (I've never seen any) have holes or swivels to attach to, the cable is not long enough to go around the tow bar or if it is the tow bar is covered by the body or bumper panels of the car, so the cable ends up around the ball

Posted

I loop mine around the (retractable) towball neck as there is no other facility.  I have found that most European vehicles with swan-neck towbars DO tend to have an attachment point (my BMW does have one), but it is too far away to attach the cable!  It would be possible to clip the breakaway cable onto it, but the clip on the end isn't designed for that unless swapped for a Karibiner (rock-climbing) type and it is on my to-do list to swap it over so I can clip it onto the eye on the towbar.

Posted

I have a electrically operated tow ball and you can only connect to the tow ball.

I am in the same situation with my Tiguan , factory fit hideaway tow ball with no facility for the breakaway cable , so looped around the tow ball . AND very careful to ensure hitch up is secure , and fit security lock

Posted

I am in the same situation with my Tiguan , factory fit hideaway tow ball with no facility for the breakaway cable , so looped around the tow ball . AND very careful to ensure hitch up is secure , and fit security lock

Me to

Posted

Thinking over the weekend about unbraked trailers - so one of those becomes unattached and you have 750kg freewheeling uncontrolled along the motorway...

With a chain system it wouldn't happen but the people that dream up safety always know best...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This would not have happened if the caravan had safety chains.  It seems the brake cable does not work if the caravan is in reverse.

Edited by Surfer

Posted (edited)

Blimey! That couldn't have parked itself better if it were planned! Regarding unbraked trailers, they are supposed to have a secondary "coupling" to prevent runaway. Mine has a stout cable attached to the drawbar that is looped over the towball

Edited by GaryB

Posted

:wine:

Is there any evidence that a brake cable was even fitted let alone attached ?

:wine::wine::wine:

:England: