Thinking of going to Italy in August

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all.

Me and hubby are thinking of going to Italy this summer (school holidays).
We will be travelling from Rotterdam so the best route to Italy and any tips will be helpful.

We are unsure of where to stay as there is so much choice.
And we are not sure if we should do two sites 4 days each or one site for 8 days.

So any advice on some nice sites between the top of Italy and Venice will be great.
We have a 8 metre tag axel motorhome so if possible can you advice us of sites that can accommodate us.

Posted

Why are you looking for sites ?? what aires are in the region you wish to visit - we've only been to Rome and in a static so no real help there except the public transport is really cheap ( and for me easily accessible ) 

I Know there are some good sites around Lido de Jesolo

Posted

Not sure about Aires in Italy all I know is wherever you pick check the pitch sizes, we have stayed on a few In Italy and visited a few and the pitches sizes weren't great, OK for a single axle caravan with a mover but not sure about your beast. Don't let that put you off as it is worth it, Italy is superb as you no doubt know. What I did see is a lot of was motorhomes parked up in areas that caravans can't get to as you often see in France so in some ways you will probably have more choice....

Posted

Motorhome Aires in Italy are called Sosta's. If you want to visit Venice I would suggest this campsite http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/camping_miramare.html as its only 5/10 walk to the ferries at Punta Sabbioni  for San Marco. There is a nice restaurant next door.

David

Posted

We are having trouble finding sites that will take our beast most are saying max 7.5 metres and some at saying no twin axles too

Posted (edited)

Hi Sorry to be late in answering your post.  We have been to Italy a few times.  Have a look at my website 

www.joysofeuropeacaravanning.co.uk   you might find some useful info.  We have been to southern Italy with an 8 metre, twin axle,  caravan and never had a problem.  I can give you a route if you like to email me with your address to dvphillips14@hotmail.com  I have already done one with campsites en route with map for someone going to Garda from Rotterdam.in a MHome.

It seems a long way to go for just 8 nights it will take 2 night halts to get to Garda or Venice area's.and 2 coming back at least.

Any questions please ask will be pleased to help.

Cheers DianneT

Edited by DianneT

Posted

Motorhome Aires in Italy are called Sosta's. If you want to visit Venice I would suggest this campsite http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/camping_miramare.html as its only 5/10 walk to the ferries at Punta Sabbioni  for San Marco. There is a nice restaurant next door.

David

Thread drifting a bit (soz) but is that the site that used to be VW workers holiday camp.  Stayed there some years ago but can't remember its name.

Posted

We first stayed at Miramare in 1992 and have been back several times so as far as I can tell its always been the same campsite?

David

Posted

Thanks David.  I was in the ex-VW Campsite in 1978/9 but can't find any record of it.  Nothing much just nostalgia raising its head!