Law change for UK drivers in French cities

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Just a couple of observations .

A second closer look at French number plates does indeed show the reigon the car is currently registered , mainly on new cars , another clue is the mounting plinth , which like ours can show the supplying dealer , these snippets of information suggest  a good clue to where the cars come from .

Having taken more interest I can see one or two cars from affected areas now carring stickers .

BUT for the princely "one off " sum Us gullible Brita have , at a stroke , supplied the French all they need to follow up any traffic or parking violations , even though the EU accord in supplying RK detalis on demand is to be repealed as soon as brexit is done .Just like we follow up the jonnie foreigner for his offences ,NOT,

After a long time away and with further observations............

French number plate characters do not indicate a department as the registration detail is an  entirely sequential.  A plate may have a department logo attached for any department or region, or none, as  the owner chooses and some chose one for which they have reasons other than it's the one in which they live. A plate frame, if fitted,  will usually show the supplying dealer's details which may not be in the same department as the car owner's residence particularly near departmental borders. As the plate remains with the car  subsequent owners may have no link to any departmental identity on the plate.

Regarding using the details supplied for the emissions sticker in relation to  the specified cross border  offences of which parking is not one (drink/drug-driving, jumping red lights,  lane contraventions, using handheld mobile phone , seat belts, and not wearing a helmet - speeding)  you will have been stopped and  'verbalised' on the spot other than for speeding involving a fixed camera.

And, finally, is it not probable that the the UK will  continue with cross border enforcement after Brexit?  After all keeping the EU sweet must be a consideration especially if it costs the UK government nothing to comply.

Posted

Is the fact that I don't have a registration document going to be a problem? I drive a leased car and the only documentation I have is a "Vehicle On Loan" Certificate.

Posted (edited)

Hi

Just received my temporary French emissions certificate, it took 3 days to arrive by email. Hardest thing about email form was trying to get photo of V5 form down to 400mbps.

Now waiting for the disc not going to France till mid January so plenty of time.

Probably not going to ever need it but knowing that you can get caught out in London Zones best be prepared. Only cost about £4.

Got cert 3

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Edited by MONTYSA

Posted

Hi

Just received my temporary French emissions certificate, it took 3 days to arrive by email. Hardest thing about email form was trying to get photo of V5 form down to 400mbps.

Now waiting for the disc not going to France till mid January so plenty of time.

Probably not going to ever need it but knowing that you can get caught out in London Zones best be prepared. Only cost about £4.

Got cert 3

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Enjoy you need the phone app (Green Zones EU)  to go with it to help you know where they are needed 

We've got to send for a replacement for Steph's car as had to have a new windscreen  and they don't peel off but will wait until after Christmas at least we have all the stuff ready 

Posted

Not sure if we are going to bother with France again until Macron gets the boot as France is now very expensive especially in the last 18 months. Think we will stick to Spain once this Brexit thing regarding pets is resolved as at +£100 per dog works out to +£300 before we even pay the ferry costs!

Posted

Not sure if we are going to bother with France again until Macron gets the boot as France is now very expensive especially in the last 18 months. Think we will stick to Spain once this Brexit thing regarding pets is resolved as at +£100 per dog works out to +£300 before we even pay the ferry costs!

Hi

Do you recon skip France and just get the ferry to Spain.

Only been to France on beer/fag run to Belgium. Thought might be good to explore the rest, on way to the Sun in Spain.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Hi

Do you recon skip France and just get the ferry to Spain.

Only been to France on beer/fag run to Belgium. Thought might be good to explore the rest, on way to the Sun in Spain.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Probably easier and a lot cheaper.  Fuel in France is very expensive in comparison to Spain and Spain has a lot to offer and you ca also visit Portugal.  I think if Macron gets the boot, you may see a drop in the cost of fuel with the knock on effect that the price of goods may drop a bit.  Your choice.  LOL!