Law change for UK drivers in French cities

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Windscreen stickers which show a vehicle’s emissions levels have become a legal requirement in several key French cities including Paris.
British drivers heading to the France capital are advised by the RAC that driving without a sticker – which costs as little as £3.20 – makes them culpable for an on-the-spot fine of up to £117.

Drivers of non-French-registered vehicles though, have been offered a degree of leniency – given until March 31 to fully comply with the Crit’Air initiative. An English language section of the government website responsible for stickers launches on February 1.

The scheme in Paris began on January 15, while those in Lyon and Grenoble have been running since the start of the year.

READ MORE: 

Posted

How do I get the sticker for my Volvo S60 - 10 years old -- diesel?

How much?

Do I have to have the car tested?

This has opened mor questions than answered..

Maurice

Posted

And it appears that its not all Cities

Posted

Easier to avoid those cities and take your business elsewhere.

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking carefully

There are 22 cities in line to use this it SEEMS Paris Lyon and Grenoble are full time but only INSIDE the Periphique or Rocades

the others are at present part time (Bordeaux)  only demanding it as times of poor air quality 

According to a new announcement from the French authorities, it will be possible to order a vignette for vehicles non-registered in France from 01.02.2017.

there is a download from the Crit' air website but is is in French and at present not very detailed as to emissions in gm/km

Posted

I have declined to have the emission update on my Tiguan , so what should I show , I KNOW the answer but will the French understand it

I then put the sticker in the windscreen and ??????

is there a low emission zone , with charges for cars etc  not meeting required levels , as has been said poses more questions than answers

Posted

I have declined to have the emission update on my Tiguan , so what should I show , I KNOW the answer but will the French understand it

I then put the sticker in the windscreen and ??????

is there a low emission zone , with charges for cars etc  not meeting required levels , as has been said poses more questions than answers

As I see it

If you don't meet the emissions the only way you get in is with a blue badge which is free entry

fines apparently are up to €650 and they are having wardens reading individual discs so they can't cheat and photocopy as there is a code built in that relates to the vehicle it's on 

Posted

As I see it

If you don't meet the emissions the only way you get in is with a blue badge which is free entry

fines apparently are up to €650 and they are having wardens reading individual discs so they can't cheat and photocopy as there is a code built in that relates to the vehicle it's on 

Gray,

Do I take it then that though my car is clean and doesn't have a " disc " I am not allowed in or I may get fined, yet a  " Blue Badge " holder with a dirty car is allowed.

If so surely this has nothing to bettering the environment.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Gray,

Do I take it then that though my car is clean and doesn't have a " disc " I am not allowed in or I may get fined, yet a  " Blue Badge " holder with a dirty car is allowed.

If so surely this has nothing to bettering the environment.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

At present that's what it reads BUT waiting for English site to start (01/02/2017)  but it does state if the car is not compliant it won't be allowed in so .......

Also this is France lets wait and see just what happens as it only covers 22 city centres and at present only Paris Grenoble and ?? Bordeaux are permanent the rest are part time only so this could go the same way as the breathalysers

Posted

At the moment it is only 2 cities so not an issue anyway for us as we avoid cities anyway as one city centre is the same as another.

Posted (edited)

The English website to order a sticker is up and running and I've ordered mine.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/demande

I have assumed that Brand and Trade name refer to Make and Model as there is no guidance given.  The emissions figure required is for CO2 (line V7) not CO.  The upload limit  for a copy of the V5C registration document is 200KB but not mentioned unless you try to load a larger file.

Cost is €4.80

Edited by Beejay

Posted

What a PITA to complete!  Not translated too well as not clear what is required.

Posted (edited)

Its been a while since this was raised , and following the DM scare story about delays and difficulties , I thought I should perhaps get on with it , although I don’t INTEND  passing through the named cities , better safe than sorry .As I have a trip from Calais to Noordwijk an Zee in 3 weeks , and our main holiday in July to the Dordogne

In the end it was quite straightforward , the only problem I had was to reduce the size of the scan of my V5 from 1.5 meg to 500kb . the site refused to upload anything higher .when you get to the CO line , it appears , so long as you enter the Euro Number of the engine ( Mine is Euro5) that line can be ignored

That done, I now await the thump on the door mat of my window sticker

Edited by Rodders

Posted

there was an article in the Daily Mail (1 April 2017) about this and the guy  next door  brought it to show me... It was all about these penalties etc. I read it and assumed that because of the date it was a hoax -- but maybe it isn't.

Daily Mail (1 April 2017)

• New rules will ban cars older than 20 driving in three French cities on set days 
  • Tourists must buy stickers to show how Eco-friendly their cars are 
  • Police can issue on-the-spot fines of €135 (£117) if they see a car without one  
  • RAC already 'inundated' with requests from frantic holidaymakers

Tourists driving to France this Easter face a £117 fine if they fail to display a car sticker giving the vehicle’s emissions.

As of yesterday, all drivers who visit Paris, Lyon and Grenoble must show the certificate on their windscreen, which states the vehicle’s age, engine size and the level of dangerous gases it emits.

The new environmental rules also mean cars more than 20 years old will be banned from driving through the three French cities altogether on certain days. 

"New rules: The Crit'Air scheme will see tourists forced to display a sticker, grading how Eco-friendly their cars are while motors more than 20 years old will be banned in some cities altogether : The Crit'Air scheme will see tourists forced to display a sticker, grading how Eco-friendly their cars are while motors more than 20 years old will be banned in some cities altogether The ‘Crit’Air’ scheme issues stickers in six colours, running from a green sticker for hydrogen-powered vehicles to a grey sticker for the most polluting. Twenty-two other towns and cities, including Lille, Cannes and Dunkirk, may roll out the scheme in the future to cut down on harmful exhaust fumes. However, at the moment, the stickers are only required for drivers travelling to Paris, Lyon and Grenoble. Tourists driving elsewhere in France do not need them. The RAC has said it has been inundated with calls from frantic holidaymakers who have struggled to buy a sticker – blaming problems with the French government’s website and administrative delays. Drivers say the official website is difficult to navigate and requires a raft of information about their vehicle. British tourists can only apply on-line, and must supply their vehicle’s identification number, insurance policy number, the vehicle title and registration details. The stickers, which can only be bought from the official French government website certificat-air.gouv.fr, cost €4.80 each – around £4.10 – including postage to the UK. And even after applying, Britons face a -week wait for it to arrive, as the department has been flooded with applications.  link to paste in your message

Banned: Tourists driving cars which are more than 20 years old will not be allowed to travel in Paris, pictured above, on certain days of the week between the hours of 8 AM and 8 PM"
 Banned: Tourists driving cars which are more than 20 years old will not be allowed to travel in Paris, pictured above, on certain days of the week between the hours of 8 AM and 8 pm The French government says anyone whose sticker does not arrive in the post before their holiday should print off a copy of the confirmation email of their purchase to show to police, if stopped. Police can issue on-the-spot fines of up to €135 (£117) if they see a car without one. Vehicles deemed too polluting – including all petrol and diesel cars registered before January 1, 1997 – will be banned from the cities entirely between 8 AM and 8 PM Monday to Friday. Others will be barred on days of high air pollution. Reader Jean Phillips, 66, of Worcester Park, Surrey, said she spent 90 minutes trying to get a sticker before giving up. She said: ‘I used to work in IT but we just cannot attach the document because it’s too large. We are completely stuck. I am amazed anyone ever gets to the end of the form. ’Simon Williams, of the RAC, said: ‘The RAC travel team has been dealing with hundreds of calls from members asking for help with their applications. [They] can be quite a challenge, even for anyone who is reasonably IT literate.’

Looked at the web site for getting the sticker and it SEEMED legit but who knows

Posted

Ordered my sticker today. €5 hardly going to cause the bank to crash!!!

David

Posted

It seems that if your vehicle is registered in the Disabled class it is exempt?  Having a BB does not exempt you though.

Posted

there was an article in the Daily Mail (1 April 2017) about this and the guy  next door  brought it to show me... It was all about these penalties etc. I read it and assumed that because of the date it was a hoax -- but maybe it isn't.

Dont worry Its straight up .as you can see from eairlier posts in the thread

As for "IT experts getting confused" , all the info you need is on your V5 , straight forward there , I had a problem resizing the scan but in house IT department (son) helped there , and that done , confirmation email arrived in a blink of an eye . If you go to France before you get the disc/sticker ,the web page reccomends keeping confirmation email in your car to produce if stopped . simples

Posted

Less than a week later, and we have our disc , so much for "long delays "

Posted

Hello, finally managed to log in after a long absence!! Been reading this thread, ready to apply, but can someone remind me how to reduce the attachment file size to the required size of under 400 kb and the file still be readable?

Thanks J&J

Posted

Well, I filled in the form, attached a barely legible scan of my "log book", and , lo and behold, a week later I received my certificate.

I am in category 2, the best diesel grade possible. Category 1 is hybrid petrol, and electric.

So now I can go into Paris ( don't think so, somehow), but not tow in there!

It does seem quite painless for French bureaucracy.

J&J

Posted

Applied for ours about 3 days ago, got confirmation email same day and dispatch notice today. Found the whole process quite easy in fact!

Posted (edited)

Have we British been take for a ride ,I have looked at many French registered cars whilst we are down here in the dordogne ,many with number plates indicating they come from major cities including Paris.  and it is no surprise that I have not yet seen 1 car with a critair sticker 

Except ours that is !!

Hmmmm 

Edited by Rodders

Posted

Have we British been take for a ride ,I have looked at many French registered cars whilst we are down here in the dordogne ,many with number plates indicating they come from major cities including Paris.  and it is no surprise that I have not yet seen 1 car with a critair sticker 

Except ours that is !!

Hmmmm 

The new style French number plates no longer indicate the department of registration. When someone moves from their current department or changes their car a new style plate with random number is issued.  The plate can have any (or no) department logo attached so may no longer identify the area in which the owner lives.

In Paris the vignette is only required  Mon-Fri 0800-1800 so many who live in the area may not need one and those living outside the peripherique and A86 outer ring wouldn't either.

"Taken for a ride" for a one-off €4.80 that probably doesn't cover the cost of manufacture and postage.? If not travelling into those towns that require sticker there is no need to obtain one.

Posted (edited)

Just a couple of observations .

A second closer look at French number plates does indeed show the reigon the car is currently registered , mainly on new cars , another clue is the mounting plinth , which like ours can show the supplying dealer , these snippets of information suggest  a good clue to where the cars come from .

Having taken more interest I can see one or two cars from affected areas now carring stickers .

BUT for the princely "one off " sum Us gullible Brita have , at a stroke , supplied the French all they need to follow up any traffic or parking violations , even though the EU accord in supplying RK detalis on demand is to be repealed as soon as brexit is done .Just like we follow up the jonnie foreigner for his offences ,NOT,

Bend over Brits the long shaft is heading your way.

BTW I still love France as a caravanning destination , Even better now many Brits have cried off due to poor Euro exchange rates , and taken their beer bellies and noisy kids with them and left the caravan/camp sites quieter,. on a site with over 100 pitches we are lone Brits and better for it

OK finished my grumpy old man rant :sad2:

Edited by Rodders