UK 'van v German 'van towing.

43 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

Twice we've been away now in our Coachman VIP 560/4 and must say am disappointed in it's towing capability prowess to any of the last seven German 'vans we've enjoyed.

There is a definite twitch in the tail of the car ( so the 'van must be not so stable ).

There is a loss on fuel consumption of - 4 mpg.

Have already noticed the marked difference in stature of the Coachman compared to the Hymer, the V.I.P  is higher off the ground and certainly higher at roof level.

In conclusion am very satisfied with the V.I.P as a caravan once on site but I do really feel the German 'vans are a lot more stable on the open road.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

When I tow my Tabbert (just under 8 metres long with A frame and 2.4 metres wide) I tend to forget it's there it is so stable, unlike my previous UK vans

1 person likes this

Posted

Something I picked up on many years ago Jim, the reason I left the Truma bike rack on the Hymer, it's no good on this VIP.!!

( Should be fun rockin' 'n rollin' down the Fosseway to Harbury next weekend )

Posted

Our Buccaneer has a longer A frame than many British caravans and feels a lot more stable than our previous Lunar Delta TI especially when overtaking a HGV.

Posted

Not towed a foreign van but my thoughts

a longer A frame means the wheelbase is longer so less twitchy and foreign vans are heavier so less liable to react to side wind

Towing with a saloon or estate is less stable than a LONG wheelbase SUV (doesn't need to be 4x4 my last one was FWD)  I have noticed that SWB 4x4 are very twitchy when towing even at slow speeds there's lots of sideways movement

Posted

Good post Gray,

My thoughts entirely, I've not actually measured the distance between the hitch and axle on the V.I.P and compared with the Hymer but it does look a lot shorter, there is also a lot of caravan beyond the axle compared to the Hymer.

RE : The towing prowess of short wheel base 4x4 type cars a lot of people still quiet wrongly assume they can tow what the car manufacturer states as Maximum Towing Limit. Only last weekend we were parked next to a very nice unit, a twin axle Bailey ( very long ) and a Ford Kuga, as nice as they both looked I wouldn't fancy following that rig down to Devon on a windy day.

Happy  caravanning, indoors.

Posted

From our front locker drawer to the A frame is 1.25m however I think I am correct in assuming that the drawbar actually starts in the front locker by the bulkhead in which case our A frame is even longer?

Posted

Longer A frame? I tow an Adria and am convinced the longer A frame is a major benefit when towing.

The Adria has a Alko Delta  type chassis (well mine does) that adds to the stability, see here

http://www.al-ko.com/en/vehicle-technology/euro-delta-semi-trailing-arm-axle

Maybe most German units have the same

1 person likes this

Posted

I think the rear overhang of the car has a marked effect on stability , since we have moved on to a Tiguan ( twice now) the stability in all conditions is a lot better .

There is one particular situation , that I used to get twitchy about , that was being in close proximity to a car transporter , the very mixed up air disturbance from a transporter , very much upset the general stability when towing with the previous Passat , Mazda 6 etc , whereas the Tiguan with a short rear overhang is totally unaffected , and our caravan is nothing special , normal BPW  chassis with “V Tech “ ( what ever that is ! )

Posted

From our front locker drawer to the A frame is 1.25m however I think I am correct in assuming that the drawbar actually starts in the front locker by the bulkhead in which case our A frame is even longer?

All A frames are the same length.  It's just that some vans have longer bodies!

Posted

Most caravan chassis are a number of sections bolted together.  A manufacturer will choose an A frame assembly to suit their requirements and most continental manufacturers prefer a longer A frame then UK manufacturers..

BPW list their component parts and the A frame channels are predrilled for body mounting.  The distance from hitch end to the first of 6 body mounting holes can be 1045mm to 1369mm giving 324mm variation and the 6 holes are over 300mm so a total of 624mm maximum variation  of body mounting is possible.

Posted

We have a BPW chassis and the caravan has an overall length of 8.14m so the A frame is longer than the ALKO chassis I would think.

Posted (edited)

We have a BPW chassis and the caravan has an overall length of 8.14m so the A frame is longer than the ALKO chassis I would think.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek but based on some truth methinks!  Hymer Nova 545, for example,  is only 6" shorter than yours but has a body length a foot and a half less than yours.

Edited by samd

Posted

Hi all,

Twice we've been away now in our Coachman VIP 560/4 and must say am disappointed in it's towing capability prowess to any of the last seven German 'vans we've enjoyed.

There is a definite twitch in the tail of the car ( so the 'van must be not so stable ).

There is a loss on fuel consumption of - 4 mpg.

Have already noticed the marked difference in stature of the Coachman compared to the Hymer, the V.I.P  is higher off the ground and certainly higher at roof level.

In conclusion am very satisfied with the V.I.P as a caravan once on site but I do really feel the German 'vans are a lot more stable on the open road.

Hi

Sure it is not your car have you towed German van with your twincab I found that twincab can be light on rear axle. Not towed with a twin cab but but have roadtested a few and have been caught out in wet back sliding. They need a bit of ballast in back.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

The Coachman is now up for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coachman-V-I-P-560-4-/201776150040?hash=item2efacbb618:g:TMYAAOSwjDZYcMbA

It will be advertised on here once the site is up and ready.

There honestly is nothing wrong at all with the 'van, though others state the Coachman is superior to the norm , Swift, Bailey, Elddis, Lunar and the like and is acceptable to tow by many used to UK 'vans. I am now on the look out for a Hymer.

Edited by indoors
1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with UK vans I have a swift and find it extremely stable, Elddis and Fleetwood, I had before that where stable and I had no complaints about them.

Happy British made Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Hi Monty,

Until signing off with " Happy British made Caravanning " I was with you, but towing your " British " Swift with a Ssang Yong ?

As good as they are ( and a friend has had three ) it ain't really British is it ! Why are we not all still buying and towing with Rover's made at Longbridge ? is it because they were no good ? ( and let's not get political ). No it's because something better came along.

I tow with a Toyota HiLux Invincible truck and am happy to do so, if there was a " British " company making such a product I would buy one. My earlier posts will allow you to know that after returning from 7 yrs in France and owning 7 German 'vans I decided to go " Brit ", The fact that I am woefully disappointed in the performance of my choice is my problem, I will sort it!!

Posted

Hi indoors

Yes I was trying to stick up for our British Vans so that they don't go the way of of our car industry.

I take it that your saying something better has come along in the Caravan Industry and now we should not support our fine British product but buy German.

Happy British Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Yes !!

The question is though, what's " British " in UK manufactured 'vans ? Alko, Thetford, Dometic, Truma, Cramer, the list goes on.

Having seen the U tube of Baileys being built by hoody's more than likely part time agency employed the caravan industry in the UK is killing itself. Yes we know people do not put to print a good product as much as moan about a bad one and yes we do know that there are many good ones out there, but try telling someone that has just paid 20 grand plus to be told " we can't fix it for you it will have to go back to the manufacturer " for who knows how many months. Can the British not make cars ? yes they can, Toyota, Nissan, Honda.

" In conclusion am very satisfied with the V.I.P as a caravan once on site but I do really feel the German 'vans are a lot more stable on the open road ". from an earlier post.

Posted

Certainly a few years ago a lot of the 'wooden' internal panels for some UK 'vans were made in Holland,often this was why the screws fell out when assembled here!

Geoff

Posted

I always thought that caravan manufacturers only assembly the panels to create the caravan so not a true manufacturer.  Probably like going to your nearest IKEA or B&Q to buyt the parts to build your own kitchen.  Do caravan manufacturers actually manufacture anything?

Posted

I always thought that caravan manufacturers only assembly the panels to create the caravan so not a true manufacturer.  Probably like going to your nearest IKEA or B&Q to buyt the parts to build your own kitchen.  Do caravan manufacturers actually manufacture anything?

I suppose someone has to make the panels first to be assembled and I would guess it's the manufacturer that does it :;): although they rarely make the accessories like taps, lighting, basins, cookers, hobs etc.

Posted

I suppose someone has to make the panels first to be assembled and I would guess it's the manufacturer that does it :;): although they rarely make the accessories like taps, lighting, basins, cookers, hobs etc.

Do they make the panels or import them?

Posted

At the time I was told by someone who worked in the trade that the reasons I had problems were that the Dutch machines 'overholed'....I was told a year or so later that these machines were now in the UK factory.......

geoff