Pompeii, Sorrento and Rome

9 posts in this topic

Posted

We are planning a family trip to Pompeii, Sorrento and Rome next summer (2017) and wondered if anyone had any experience of sites in that region that they would otherwise recommend or warn against. Would be good to hear if anyone has visited any of these with car and caravan.

We were thinking of the following:

• Camping Spartacus at Pompeii for 6 or 7 nights to see all the ruins (3 days) and Versuvius
  • Camping Fortunata at Sorrento for 9 nights for Sorrento, positano, Amalfi, Capri etc..
  • Camping Fabulous at Rome for 7 or 8 nights for visiting Rome (3 days) - (Possibly Camping Bracciano as an alternative)

Thanks in advance for any site recommendations.

Posted

When we went to Rome a few years ago we stayed at Camping Tiber. see here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/camping_tiber.html  The site runs a regular free bus service to Punta Porta station where the train takes you straight into the centre of Rome. Just watch out for personal security if you use the Metro.

I have been to Pompeii and Sorrento but by other means so can't suggest campsites.

David 

Posted

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply and for the recommendation. It looks like you've gathered quite a substantial and comprehensive knowledge of European sites, some of which we have visited ourselves, but many that we haven't, so it will be interesting to look at the others!

I notice that Camping Tiber also forms part of the Italien Elite Club Vacanze and they have a few sites in and around Rome to compare too, so that's all good.

I assume your experience of Pompeii and Sorrento was also a good one?

Thanks

Matt

Posted

Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast were the only places in Italy where I was frightened as a pedestrian! Scooters with multiple persons onboard...up to three sometimes!.....................but lovely area,wish I had gone back. Enjoy ur holidays.

geoff

Posted

Thanks, Geoff.

I remember the scooters from our trip to Rapallo and am hoping to rely mostly on pulic transport whilst we are there! Glad you recommend - we have spent a lot of time in Italy, just not that far south.

Thanks

Matt

Posted

Pompeii is of course fascinating. Depending on your age you might get a discount on the entrance fee by showing your passport. We liked Sorrento, especially an evening stroll through the narrow streets. We also had a trip to Capri from Sorrento which again was interesting. The Amalfi Coast is outstanding if a bit scary!!!

David

Posted

Pompeii is of course fascinating. Depending on your age you might get a discount on the entrance fee by showing your passport. We liked Sorrento, especially an evening stroll through the narrow streets. We also had a trip to Capri from Sorrento which again was interesting. The Amalfi Coast is outstanding if a bit scary!!!

David

Thanks - we have heard many good things about the region and are looking forward to it. Visits to Capri, Positano and the Amalfi coast are high on our list, but we will also make the most of public transport where we can too!

Matt

Posted (edited)

We are planning a family trip to Pompeii, Sorrento and Rome next summer (2017) and wondered if anyone had any experience of sites in that region that they would otherwise recommend or warn against. Would be good to hear if anyone has visited any of these with car and caravan.

We were thinking of the following:

• Camping Spartacus at Pompeii for 6 or 7 nights to see all the ruins (3 days) and Versuvius
  • Camping Fortunata at Sorrento for 9 nights for Sorrento, positano, Amalfi, Capri etc..
  • Camping Fabulous at Rome for 7 or 8 nights for visiting Rome (3 days) - (Possibly Camping Bracciano as an alternative)

Thanks in advance for any site recommendations.

Hi mattandkirsty we have visited Italy many times and have stopped near to Sorrento plus on Lake Braciano to visit Rome.  The last year we were there we went right down to the heel of Italy to the Bari area to visit Arberobello to visit the Trulli Houses. You will find most of the Campsites we use are in the ACSI Camping Card Scheme .  Are you going before the end of June?  Any more help please ask will be pleased to help. Routes are also on my website.

More details are on my website here the link in my signature below is not working at the mo.

DianneT

Edited by DianneT

Posted

Hi mattandkirsty.

We camped at Spartacus 4 years ago. It's not the most wonderful site, but the staff are very welcoming and its situation across the road from the entrance to the Pompeii ruins does allow you to visit in the morning as soon as they open and before a multitude of coach visitors arrive. It's also only a few yards walk to the train station to take you to Herculaneum, which is in the direction of Napoli, and as the site is more complete we think it allows you a better experience of life in Roman times.  

We also caught the train to travel in the opposite direction to Sorrento.  

When we drove south to Pompeii on the Autostrada, there were kms of roadworks and reconstruction taking place near Napoli and with narrow lanes in places the driving was not a pleasant experience, but that was 4 years ago. 

If you go to the area, do visit the Grecian ruins at Paestum to the south of Salerno. There is an excellent museum of pottery and other artefacts and the temple ruins are simply stunning.

We found the DK Eyewitness Guide to "Naples and the Amalfi coast" to be very useful.

Do ask if you need any more help.

John.