Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Towing Weights

Question

Posted (edited)

I tow with a Mercedes Vito, according to the log book I can tow up to 2000kgs (braked)  so that's good. However it weighs a hefty 1940kgs on its own, so does this mean I can only tow a caravan that weighs up to 1560 before it goes over the 3500kg limit.

On top of that the max axel weights are 1550 and 1650kg total 3200kg But the log book states the Max permissible mass is 3050kgs so does this mean if it weighs 1940kg and its max permissible is 3050kg then can I only tow 1110kg in which case Im all ready doing it wrong.

I need to figure this out before I invest in a new caravan and find myself not being able to pull it.

Yours Mr Very Confused

Edited by dillon200

11 answers to this question

Posted

The 3500kg limit is for anyone that passed their test AFTER January 1997, they only have a B category which limits them to a combined maximum PLATED (not actual) maximum gross weight of car plus caravan of 3500kgs.  I tow with a 2016 Swift @ 1540kgs with a 2016 BMW 520D which has a maximum gross weight of around 2250kgs, as I have a B&E licence I am fine.

Posted

If you only have a B licence then you need to look at the maximum gross weight of the vehicle less 3500kg.  I think the maximum axle weights may equate to the maximum gross weight which is 3020kg.  This means that you can only tow a caravan weighing up to 480kg with a B licence.  The kerbweight does not come into the equation as it is the maximum gross weight that counts.  I think you need a B+E licence if you want a decent size caravan. 

I may be wrong so wait for further input.

Posted

I think you need a B+E licence if you want a decent size caravan. 

I may be wrong so wait for further input.

Or even a C+E?

Posted

Thank you Guys its all becoming clearer I definitely passed my test before 1997 more like 1977 I also have a Class1 HGV expired as I haven't driven a Truck for probably 20yrs.

So it looks like Im Ok as far as license goes and just need to be careful about the 85% guide. We are looking at the new Elldis  840 which will be right up there on the limit. 

Posted

The web confirms the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) as 3050kgs, so if you'd passed your test after 1997 you'd be restricted to a caravan of 450kgs MTPLM.  Seeing as you've got a B+E licence you're fine.  The new 8 feet wide Elddis's look nice, I wonder how long before others follow?

Posted

Wasn't it Bailey that said, after the 8 feet wide regulations came in, that the regulation would not have any effect on them and they would not be producing 8 feet wide caravans?

How many 8ft wide models do they have now?

Posted

Wasn't it Bailey that said, after the 8 feet wide regulations came in, that the regulation would not have any effect on them and they would not be producing 8 feet wide caravans?

How many 8ft wide models do they have now?

I know they have the large models designed for permanent pitches (can't remember the range name, Retreat????) but I thought their tourers were all 7 1/2 feet-ish wide the same as most others?  My only concern would be the extra weight of the additional width.

Posted (edited)

The rest of the ranges are 7' 6" wide.

Edited by GaryB

Posted

But did not Baileys sited range (yes I think it is the Retreat) not come in after the regulations were changed? (The only thing I thank Tony Blair for :) )

My Tabbert Baronesse is 2.4 meters (8') wide and 6.6 long (base) - 7.2 meters including the overhang of the bows and sits on twin 900 kg axles - so not that heavy really

Posted

I tow with a Mercedes Vito, according to the log book I can tow up to 2000kgs (braked)  so that's good. However it weighs a hefty 1940kgs on its own, so does this mean I can only tow a caravan that weighs up to 1560 before it goes over the 3500kg limit.

On top of that the max axel weights are 1550 and 1650kg total 3200kg But the log book states the Max permissible mass is 3050kgs so does this mean if it weighs 1940kg and its max permissible is 3050kg then can I only tow 1110kg in which case Im all ready doing it wrong.

I need to figure this out before I invest in a new caravan and find myself not being able to pull it.

Yours Mr Very Confused

Axle plated weights often add up to more than the vehicle gross weight.   The difference is usually quite substantial on commercial vehicles where the large  load area allows  uneven distribution of weight.

You need to check the weights shown on the  vehicle plate  as these are the legal limits.

These show starting with largest  Gross Train Weight  - Gross Vehicle Weight  - front axle -rear axle.

If the plated GVW is actually  is 3050kg then subtract this from the GTW to find the legal maximum towed weight.

If the unladen weight is 1940kg and the GVW is 3050kg then 1110kg is the load that the vehicle can carry.

Posted

Thanks for all the input I think I have it on board now. As for the new 8' wide caravans there are two from Elddis, two from Compass obviously the same company but different finishes then there is the Buccaneer which is huge in size and cost too.

We have out Elddis 556 up for sale and if it goes we will be placing an order for either the elddis or compass depending on the wifes mood at the time.