No water pressure

Question

Posted

Just arrived on site and unable to draw any water. Before I stump up for a new pump, any ideas for a quick fix please. It's the big whale system with the onboard tank.

21 answers to this question

Posted

Problem solved! An ants nest in the inlet pipe, would you believe?

1 person likes this

Posted

Not heard of that one before Wow an ants nest !!!

How horrendous getting millions of those little blighters out 

Posted

We were at a site a few weeks back that had an awful lot of ant's nests around the place. Didn't think anything of it really expect since then we've been finding one or two wandering about the 'van. I wonder if it's happened because we pop the inlet hose into the sink whilst at home but never have popped the plug in. We'll try it with the plug in this time. Any thoughts on keeping them out of the 'van? I can only think of Denso tape as a reliable deterrent

Posted

A bit off caravanning but to do with animal blockage, last year the washmachine I have in garage. It's there as my dirty clothes are band from machine ln house. Anyway I use a hose from outside tap to feed washer it stopped working as it only cost £30 second-hand started looking for another one but then fought let's have a look found a  Slug in water inlet filter removed Slug washing machine works ok now. These critters get anywhere they are not wanted.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

You're right.
I bought a secondhand aquaroll for a friend and as we'd had these problems I thought I'd give the carrier a dose of Puriclean and run it through the 'van as well. Again, no water!

Another load of ants in there (which means the sods are getting in while it's in the garden not on site), so I blew them out with compressed air and now I have made a bung that fits up the inside of the water inlet stub. We'll see if that works!

Posted

Not had any animal problem with our Whale system 

We have noticed though that there are quite a few different pressures of pump delivery so go for the highest pressure so we can have a decent shower.

We always store our pump assembly in the sinks whilst travelling but when in use the Aquaroll does stand on a circle of Ant power as a deterrent which so far has done the trick on 5 sites so far on our little trip

Posted

It seems this isn't quite over yet.

Away for 12 days and after 8 days of unspoilt water delivery and having both had a shower, the pump started cycling every 8 seconds or so. Not the 'chug-chug-chug' of the normal pressure top up it's always had (every 15 minutes or so) but just a single 'chug'. Delivery still seems okay but there is obviously an issue and it was driving me nuts!

I checked for a leak but found none and the taps all appear to close correctly, so I am wondering if it's the valves getting weak or full of ant debris. However I would expect leak back as mentioned on the Fleetwood Owners Club page, but I get none. If I switch the water back on in the morning (having left it off all night instead of suffering the 'every 8 second 'chug'') water is straight to the tap, which I wouldn't expect if it were leaking back.

Thoughts anyone please?

Posted

A couple of ants still in the system?

Posted

Well I think it's going to be worth checking. I would have thought the ants would have been cleared by now especially as I got 8 trouble-free days previously.

Posted

I spent all last week being driven nuts by the pressure switch on my water system, so I know how you feel...

1 person likes this

Posted

That's a good point, I don't know where that is at present. All the pump stuff is in the cupboard beneath the big window along with the changeover tap for the onboard.

Posted

We had a similar problem with our Whale on board pump in July, just suddenly stopped pumping water although we could hear the motor running and feel the vibration, just no water flowing, the pump had started to "pulse" on and off getting longer in the pulses and shorter in the length of time between pulses when the taps were not in use, after checking for air and leaks we went and bought a new pump which we fitted and all was well for the rest of the week.  We didn't go away again until last week, we pulled on site, connected to the aqua roll (although we have an on board tank we have never used it), the pump started to charge the water system then suddenly stopped as before, we disconnected the pump and as we were staying in the same area as we were in July we took the pump back to the supplier (who had to order it for us with next day delivery back in July), they checked it and said that the pump had failed, he then telephoned Whale in N.I. and got a warranty number and arranged for us to pick up a new pump from another Whale supplier/service centre, no problem we went there and they just exchanged the pump, got back to the caravan and fitted it, all was well again for 5 days then the same "problem" happened, we were at the end of our week and the exchange supplier was closed for the weekend so we came home, we telephoned Whale who said that they doubted that 2 pumps would fail and advised us of a few things to do and check, all of which we had already done, then on Monday we telephoned the exchange supplier who again suggested various checks which we had done, he then said that they would take our returned pump apart and check it to see what the problem was and they said we could also do the same with the pump we had here, they telephoned us later in the day and said that they had found a lot of little black bits in the pump and suggested that they thought it was from our carbon filter, we had also found little black bits and had decided to check our carbon filter, which when we shook it lots of pieces and bits of carbon fell out, I told the chap who had checked our pump that we had found the same and come to the same conclusion that it was our carbon filter that had caused the problem, as the filter was only fitted in May this year and manufactured last year he has taken the quality control number and is trying to see if they can help us with some recompense, we won't know the answer to this until later this week/next week.  At the moment we are still unable to get water flowing through the pump although the service chap thought it should be okay after a thorough clean, so at the moment it is a "waiting game" before we know the outcome, we are thinking that it will cost us to purchase another pump.

The carbon bits were very small and could be mistaken for shrivelled up dead ants.  Maybe you also had a faulty carbon filter which was causing your problems.

Posted

Wow, Impy that sounds very likely. We definitely had the llittle so & so's at the start but recently put a brand new carbon filter in as well. I've just spent a while stripping all the pipework and pump and there's loads of crud, including more dead ants!!! Although these were probably from these earlier invasions.

I'll check the filter for sure.

Now having stripped this all and having a flat battery on the phone, I didn't take a picture like I normally would: can some nice person with the system like mine tell me which way round (flow-wise) the switch should go which allows water to flow to the onboard tank. I'm haing a senior moment and can't get my head around the direction of flow.

Posted

Not sure how your water system is laid out but if it is like ours with an on board pump and on board tank then the levers either side of the pump are both levers facing outward (the caravan wall) to use just the aqua roll which we do, to use the on board tank (which we don't) then the lever on the right hand side of our pump faces inward (into the caravan body) and the other lever is facing outward, to winterize the pump then both levers face the pump, I hope that makes sense.

Posted

Yes cheers for the rapid answer.

Mine is different. We have only one tap and a tap or tank selector switch. Having spent some time looking at the layout, I've concluded that the solenoid valve that allows water to flow into the tank should have it's flow direction facing forward. I also checked the new filter and I'm getting no debris coming out of that at least.

So I am going to replace the pump as for the cost of a valve block, it makes more sense to change the whole assembly as it's 7 years gone.

Thanks for all the input folks and fingers crossed this will sort it finally.

Posted

If your pump motor is still working you can purchase just the "head" and replace just that, it cost us £135 for a complete new pump and I believe that the "pump head" (the black base) is around £40. 

Posted

We have something similar but our Whale submersible was burnt out by a grandchild 

So out came the replacement pump just the pump changed over took minutes 

this morning that dies too had noticed when we were in France the pump was starting to draw more and more voltage to give us a trickle  totally shorted out today 

Replacement Whale Premier submersible pump £36  on it's own without all the gubbins that I already have or a slightly lower pressure one is £27.95

a lot cheaper than on board pumps thank goodness

Posted

Agreed, Gray.

However I managed to get the latest supercession (the blue whale pump) for 83 quid so that swings the assembly versus valve block in my favur I feel. It also comes with a pushfit strainer which is a good idea although now requires a little scheming with the pipe run. There's not enough room to fit into the proper spot; plugged directly into the pump, so I decided to buy some 'spares' from Leisure Shop Direct for those 'eventualities'. I will fit the strainer ahead of the director valve with a purchased stem elbow connector which will allow the feed from the external tanks to plug into the strainer. Hopefully the spares will turn up by Thursday as we are away for the weekend starting Friday dinner and I'd rather have the extra filter in line if at all possible

Posted

We were told by two different service centres and by Whale that the strainer was not needed for a caravan if you are using the carbon filter, it was more for using on motorhomes and I guess boats as these pumps are also used in them.

Regarding our problem with the pump and filter - Whale agreed to us being supplied with a new pump and carbon filter which has been delivered and we have fitted into our caravan,  our existing pump and the faulty filter to be returned when Parcel Force collect them.  We cannot fault the service we received or any of the people who we dealt with over this problem, they all went "that extra mile" to help and solve the problem which was much appreciated by us.

Posted

Interesting info! It's odd that on the paperwork, they seem to insist that the strainer is fitted against the pump and yet they tell you it's unnecessary. Hmm, well never mind the intake is covered but it will need some more rerouting to put the strainer against the pump n order to fully protect it. I noticed that somehow bit's of ant are now present in the onboard tank. The supplied strainer will not protect the pump in its current location form inboard contaminants due to it being 'downstream' of the diverter so I will not use the onboard tank until such time as it is sorted properly.

Posted

Happy to report that the pump works perfectly and shows up the fact that the old pump had been losing a little pressure over time. Every 15 mins or so the old pump used to power up for two or three seconds to restore pressure. The new one makes no noise at all between tap openings; even overnight!
However it's not as powerful as the old one, in my opinion but that's the breaks.

Once I get the pipework sorted over winter to place the strainer against the pump all will be good, I'm sure.

Thanks for the input, everyone