Books again

16 posts in this topic

Posted

It's a long time since anyone has recommended any books over a year .

so this needs updating has any one read any really good books . I now have a kindle but am not sure about it yet . I will wait until I'm away and see if it's as good as a book.

i have added " the girl on a train. " and a Hide and seek by Ian Rankin. 

Posted

I like Gervase Phinn books written about schools in the Yorkshire dales with the dialect too!! Good job I understand it!!!

Posted

I'm currently reading Ann Cleeves books, both the Shetland and Vera series, I'm thoroughly enjoying them.

Posted

Just reading The Skin Collector by Jeffery Deaver, read most of his and they are a great series.

Action packed just read the last Lee Childs  Make Me

Jack Reacher has no place to go, and all the time in the world to get there, so a remote railroad stop on the prairie with the curious name of Mother's Rest seems perfect for an aimless one-day stopover. He expects to find a lonely pioneer tombstone in a sea of nearly-ripe wheat ... but instead there is a woman waiting for a missing colleague, a cryptic note about two hundred deaths, and a small town full of silent, watchful people

Not the best one but still pretty good

Finally, just finished the Kay Scarpetta book by Patricia Cornwel, always great

Posted

I have read a few lee child . 

just started my book by Ian rankin . Quite good. A series about detective called . rebus 

Posted

I was introduced by Jim and Gail  :2thumbsup: to a huge series of books by Donna Leon, which are all set in Venice, and talk about the Italian ways all the time, they are all about a very normal detective called Brunetti 

Absolutely loving them

Up to date with the JK Rowling books under her pen name of Robert Galbraith, those are great too

Posted

Also meant to say that if you go to Amazon and search for free books, you can list them by high reviews, often you will get the first of a series and then have to pay for the rest of them but if you read a lot like I do, then its an excellent way of bumping up the books in your kindle :kiss22:

Posted

Thanks for that .

i will have a look at Donna Leon books .

Posted

I've just bought a book by Bill Bryson .  I've forgotten which one . This first I think . Has anyone read his books.

im still on the hunt for terry pratchett books as well . Also added another  Ian rankin . ( easy reading ) 

Posted

Also meant to say that if you go to Amazon and search for free books, you can list them by high reviews, often you will get the first of a series and then have to pay for the rest of them but if you read a lot like I do, then its an excellent way of bumping up the books in your kindle :kiss22:

BUT if you search for Science fiction you have to wade through the load of rubbish Amazon thinks is SciFi but should really be regarded at Fantasy and sex

Also try to find an old author like Frederick Pohl EE doc Smith or Isaac Asimov without paying the earth you just can't do it

BTW we have a Fire Tablet  may I suggest NO ONE get one they will only download APPS that Amazon like so I can't get Google Earth or Maps 

Posted

Hi all ony chance i get to read is in the van and i do like reading books by Andy mcnab went to a car boot sale   a few weeks ago and managed to buy 18 books for £12 good deal or wot and nearly all hard backs so happy reading everyone .

regards Martin

Posted

Wow 18 books you will have to go away a lot to read all of those.  I hope they are good . 

But it's always worth buying them when you see a bargain . I always look for books . In charity shops or car boot sales. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I’m just wondering if everyone is still using a kindle or are you all back to books .

what are you reading .? 

Posted

I had the complete Sherlock Holmes on my last Kindle , read most , then sat on the Kindle , so just downloaded the books again , best part is that it is free ,

I also tend to go back and re read books from a few years ago .

A good read , from the early 1940s , Rogue Male and Rogue Justice by Geoffrey Household  .spy/fugitive theme

Posted

Just finished reading Lee Child The Hard Way. Then Marian Keyes The last Chance Saloon. Both good. 

Posted

Well since reading Clifton chronicals by Jeffery Archer . ( brilliant ) I haven’t found anything to interest me . I have just started reading another Phillips Gregory . The wise woman . I do like her way of writing , I find her books easy reading and love the stories especially after reading all  the war of the roses books . The white queen etc .