Blasted Thetford fridge again!

Question

Posted

HI all it's open season again and sure enough it's fridge issue time once more! I've posted previously about the hit and miss functioning on the mains.

Fired up the fridge about a month ago as we were using the van as a spare bedroom and it worked first time (shocked!) which has to be almost a first.

Away tomorrow and can't get it to work at all now. Flashing blue LED on all three modes and error code 12. Now I did wash the van last weekend and despite being careful some water probably did go in the vents as I don;t have any winter covers. Any chance that has caused this problem?

Someone previously suggested it is a power board fault as they are not made man enough for the job. Can anyone suggest any other possibilities before I buy a new board as they ain't cheap. I might even take my soldering iron and some wire, pull it out while we are away and have a look-see, incase I can repair the tracks which said person described might be burnt out.

Thoughts please?

9 answers to this question

Posted

Not an answer for the repair but for winter covers whilst in storage is to use some cling film UNDER the grills they come off easily enough mine have just two sliding catches at the top of each panel 

Posted

That's a great idea, Gray.

Same grilles as mine. Will do that in future, for sure.

Posted

Okay been having a dekko at the power board behind the fridge.

First off there had been some water ingress causing some corrosion near the beige double sockets on one end. As far as I can see when tested, they had perfect continuity.

So with everything powered up, I have 240v across the far left Brown & Blue, next along I have 12v across the Orange & White (12v EXT). There is then a thin Orange with no volts I can tell. Then Red & Black with is input from the car 12v nothing there as it's not hitched up.

Moving up onto the top board there are 2 thick Browns in a blue sleeve (AC HT HI and AC HT LO) - open circuit across them. Then there are 2 Blacks (DC HT GND and DC HEAT) that have continuity between them (could this be the 12v to the heater element? and if that's so does that mean the lack of continuity across the 2 Browns means the 240 heater element has failed?)

However I am getting flashing blue on 12v (due I suppose to the lack of car input), 240v and also on gas (there is no ignition click to be heard).

Thoughts then on a new power board please, bearing in mind the price of around 150 quid?

Posted

Not a Sparky BTW 

BUT what is the current across a negative and the AC  should be a blue working from the coding used 

and what is the voltage across the DC pair that seems to be the 12v system 

Be careful finding out don't want you going bang too

Posted

There is 12v and 240v power in but nothing out, not even a signal for the gas igniter, it would seem.

It worked fine on electric the last time it was used mid-March.

Flashing blue led on all modes.

Even if the heater had gone I would expect the gas igniter to still function okay.

I think I am leaning toward a new board as it has suffered water on it

Posted

New board finally turned up today. Looks like Thetford spares dept is as reliable as their products!

If it's not raining hopefully it will be solved tonight

Posted

Mine Flashing on gas and spent whole week without cooling..hottest week of year!

Hopefully they are looking at it tomorrow.

geoff

Posted

Luck with that.

Well I am happy to report that a new power board from Leisure Shop Direct has sorted it and it is now behaving like a fridge again, rather than a very expensive cupboard with a light in it. An added bonus too (debatable when considering Thetford's reliability) in that when I switched it on to test after fitting, it now has the Auto selecting power source due to the board being a supercession of the older model, which it didn't have previously! 123 quid mind, but it does come with new cases, all the necessary fittings and full colour destructions.

Happy days!

Posted

New Power Board fitted this morning!

geoff