Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extra cooling

Question

Posted

Some time ago - last year I think and it may have been in -- GT yikes.gif --

There was article(s) discussion of how to add a small "12volt computer" type fan to the inlet grill at the rear of your caravan fridge and wiring it via a thermostat etc to help with the dissipation of heat and thereby better cooling in hot weather.

I currently stand a table fan pointing towards the inlet grill of the fridge and found that this does work as in the hot weather we had in France last year. blushing.gifyes.gif

The wine was kept cool - if not cold!! wine.gif

Has any one any information of this article or method of installation? whistling.gif

43 answers to this question

Posted

Maurice

Theres are threads about this on uk.rec.caravanning. To read them click here and here.

Posted

I did this mod last year, bolted an 80mm fan from a PC onto the back of the top vent, ran the wiring to the 12volt socket inside the caravan, and used it during the daytime when it was anything up to 39C. I unplugged it at night so as not to lose any sleep, the amount of warm air it shifted was amazing, kept the fridge nice and cold all the time.

Posted

I have fitted two computer case fans (blowing out) using double sided number plate securing pads to the top vent of our caravan.

I only wish I could find a 12 volt supply behind the fridge to connect them to via a switch. cry1.gif

At the moment the supply wire emerges out of the vent, throught the kitchen window to the 12 volt plug situated where the TV locates.

Obviously this is only connected as described once set up on a pitch. beer.gif

There appear to be a number of 12 volt looking wires behind the fridge wacko.gif but until I am sure I will leave well alone. emdunno.gif

If anyone can help I would appreciate it,I know this may be difficult as I am sure that every make of caravan has different colour coded wiring (or do they?) smartass.gif

Mick

stupid.gif

Posted

until I am sure I will leave well alone.?

Posted

Here is my report from adding a computers 12v turbo fan to my fridge

the fan [?5.95] was attached to the top vent of the van with cable ties

the cable was run via a switch and fuse from the 12v in supply

temperature test shows a 7 degree drop in temperature of the fridge cabinet and 4 degree drop in freezer temp

this is on setting #4 on 240v

at present the temperatures are

outside of van 16 degrees

inside of van 21 degrees

in fridge +3 degrees

in freezer -20 degrees

I am using a Maplins in out thermometer with max and min [ and time ?3.99 at present ] to get these readings with alcohol thermometers for back-up

the hardest part was threading the wire under the fridge/cooker/sink area to get to the power source

Posted

Here is my report from adding a computers 12v turbo fan to my fridge

temperature test shows a 7 degree drop in temperature of the fridge cabinet and 4 degree drop in freezer temp

this is on setting #4  on 240v

at present the temperatures are

outside of van 16 degrees

inside of van 21 degrees

in fridge +3 degrees

in freezer -20 degrees

I am using a Maplins in out thermometer with max and min [ and time ?3.99 at present ] to get these readings  with alcohol thermometers for back-up

Posted

I was interested in Gray's suggestion of extra cooling fans for caravan fridges as in the past we have found that fridges have not always got as cold as they should in hot conditions. Interestingly we had no trouble with the fridge in our new Eccles and we were away at the same time and similar places to Gray. What might have helped was having a 12 volt cooler which we left running all the time. There was less reason to open the van fridge so I suppose that helped keep it cool. The 12 volt box gave us cold Rose on tap so I was a happy person. Not sure that it was as warm this year in the South of France compared to last year - have to go back to continue the experiment!!!!

David

Posted

Not sure that it was as warm this year in the South of France compared to last year - have to go back to continue the experiment!!!!

David

Posted

Does any one know if a "manufacturer" has come up with a -bolt on accessory for this as yet???

Or is any one making them and selling them on...??

Also - if I do fit one my self the 12v bit is no problem but -- what do you measure with the thermostat which is in line with the fan motor??

Fridge temp?

Air temp?

I do intend to have the fan on the top - outlet grill - blowing out to aid natural convection...

Posted

Hi Fibre

I have sent you a PM as I don't know if I'm allowed to mention a company on the forum. I fitted a twin fan, 12v switched manual or automatic running, to the outlet vent of my caravan last year. I went to Venice in July and the fridge worked very well, (the beer was always cold), all the time. It is nearly silent in operation therefore it can be left on overnight if required. If the moderator allows I can give details, if not anyone requiring the address please PM me.

Posted

Mr December

I can't imagine Mark and Sonja objecting to you posting details of companies which will help members of the group. They might start to flinch if you started to slag a company off without real cause.

David

Posted

Mr December

I can't imagine Mark and Sonja objecting to you posting details of companies which will help members of the group. They might start to flinch if you started to slag a company off without real cause.

David

Posted

Confused a little here, I have loads of various size computer fans here, so Im looking at doing this mod, BUT, why cant you take the 12v feed from the switch on the fridge ? surely this is just a 12v feed to the fridge ie 12v feed to the switch, other side of the switch to fridge

Also, lookin at my fridge while out of the casing, there is loads of room to fit another switch in the panel for the fan

but why cant I use the 12v feed to the fridge ??

Posted

What about just taking the "bloody doors off" (sorry meant grilles) as suggested in the fridge manual??

This was suggested in another place (GT just before it closed).

Tried this in france last year and had no problems with keeping the wine / beer cold (Dordogne in August). Just waiting for another year like 2003 for a real test!!

Posted

Posted

Thanks Mr December

Just received this morning the catalogue from

Caravan Accessories C.A.K. Tanks Ltd

Aqua House

10 Princes Drive Industrial Estate

Kenilworth

Warwickshire

CV8 2FD

0870 757 2324

email: sales@caktanks.co.uk

Where they have a fully wired bit of kit (fans - wires -instructions etc) that you can retro fit your self in 1/2 hour or so.... shows you what wires to cut (and more important NOT to cut)

Lists all the current and other fridges - and sells the Inlet and Outlet vents too..

Sending for one tomorrow they reckon the single fan for the UK summer and the double fan for south of France summer..

Thanks again -- think it will be worth it in France this year... thumbup.gif

Posted

Thanks Mr December

Just received this morning the catalogue from

Caravan Accessories C.A.K. Tanks Ltd

Aqua House

10 Princes Drive Industrial Estate

Kenilworth

Warwickshire

CV8 2FD

0870 757 2324

email: sales@caktanks.co.uk

Where they have a fully wired bit of kit  (fans - wires -instructions etc) that you can retro fit your self in 1/2 hour or so.... shows you what wires to cut (and more important NOT to cut)

Lists all the current and other fridges - and sells the Inlet and Outlet vents too..

Sending for one tomorrow they reckon the single fan for the UK summer and the double fan for south of France summer..

Thanks again -- think it will be worth it in France this year... thumbup.gif

Posted

I dont see any particular problem BUT the vents on the fridge when used on gas are also providing air for combustion and as such should not be modified. As I say I cannot see a problem but should there be an accident your kneck is well in the noose, untill you can prove that you modifcation did not cause the problem.

Posted

I dont see any particular problem BUT the vents on the fridge when used on gas are also providing air for combustion and as such should not be modified. As I say I cannot see a problem but should there be an accident your kneck is well in the noose, untill you can prove that you modifcation did not cause the problem.

Posted

i was told the vents on the side of the van are for aiding the air circulation to help with the cooling of the air to make the fridge more efficent

there are seperate holes as maurice describes under fridge, cooker, hot air heater and 1 by water heater with warning lables do not block air supply plus its a venting point for any escaping gas build up

Posted

I am sure that there should not be a problem, however there is always a risk of incomplete combustion if the airflow around a burner is disturbed.

Posted

decided not to fit the one that I purchased from Caravan Accessories C.A.K. Tanks Ltd (as I have now sold the van) but I will keep it in its box ready to fit on the new van....

It is dead easy to fit as I offered it up into the old van and all the wires etc were exactly as shown....

(arriving on Thursday !!! 21st !! thumbup.gifcheering.gifcheering.gif )

Posted

I have changed my van since I installed the twin fan behind the fridge, having removed it prior to trade in. I fully intend to install it in my new van, especially as the manufacture has installed a single fan already. So whatever anyone thoughts on the rights and wrongs of installing them behind the outlet of the fridge, Ace obviously believe that it's OK. I will mealy exchange the single fan for a double. If anyone is considering visiting warmer climes, they are essential to keep the fridge working correctly.

Posted

I added a single 12 volt computer fan to the outlet vent last year and it definately made a difference. Before doing so, I spoke to the service manager at my dealers to get his views. He informed me that he had fitted many of them and showed me the catalogue of a specific kit. I don't know who the suppliers are. The kit comprised of a Computer fan, a few cable ties, and a thermostat. The price was rather more than a fiver.

I got two of the large fans from Maplins a 12 volt switch matching the caravan fittings. (Now they are expensive) fixed the fan behind the vent in the hole cut out of the caravan wall. I used the fitting straps for a car radio as suggested by the service manager which is what they use. I picked up the power from the 12V socket and fed it via the switch. This year, I am fitting the other fan to the inlet vent to make even more of a difference.

Posted

Confused a little here, I have loads of various size computer fans here, so Im looking at doing this mod, BUT, why cant you take the 12v feed from the switch on the fridge ? surely this is just a 12v feed to the fridge ie 12v feed to the switch, other side of the switch to fridge

Also, lookin at my fridge while out of the casing, there is loads of room to fit another switch in the panel for the fan

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard