Air Awnings...are they any good?

Question

Posted

I'll be blunt from the off....buy cheap, buy twice...I bought one or two cheaper awnings when we started caravanning but realised that you get what you pay for.  I bought an Isabella and was hooked.  I have had a variety of Isabella products and have been very impressed.  Our current large Commodore awning is great but we're thinking of downsizing the awning as we just don't need the space it offers any longer.  I have a smaller Vango Varkala 280 for weekends and I am pretty impressed, although the quality isn't 'Isabella' being honest.

Has anyone heard if Isabella are entering the air awning market place?  If yes....what do you know??...Other option is the Bradcot Air which carries a handsome price but looks good and being Bradcot I expect it'll be good quality?

Advice please

10 answers to this question

Posted

I did see the air awnings at the NEC in February. 

We bought A Isabella magnum porch awning 3 years ago and love it .

we have looked at the air awnings and thought if these had been around then we may have bought one .

i saw either a bradcot or an Isabella while at the show , it looked very good . I'm sorry I can't remember which it was. Have a look on their web sites. 

I am also very impressed with my Isabella awning and the quality. 

Posted (edited)

I agree that the Bradcot air awning looks good.  Don't know how they compare with the Kampa models but they look better - at least in my opinion.

We have a small Kampa Pro Air porch.  We got rid of our Isabella Capri Lux because we are elderly and found the full-size Isabella too much for us to deal with in spite of the fact that we have used and loved Isabellas for thirty-odd years.  We also had an Isabella Combi porch for years then put dings down the side of the van with the poles and thought we would be better off with an air awning.

Having used the Kampa air awning I would advise you to stick with Isabella awnings whilst ever you can.   We certainly would if we were fitter.   Air awnings may not have poles but they are not without their drawbacks.

Don't know but have not so far heard if Isabella have plans for an air awning.

Edited by BeBe
Afterthought

Posted (edited)

I bought a Bradcot aspire 390 air awning from the show in October. It is very easy to put up and take down. We used it whilst in Spain in January and February. I can only say it was brilliant one night we had strong wind which some said were up to 70mph. It did on a couple of occasions bend in but pulled straight Back up again, I had to replace 3 of the ladders which broke. Would I recommend definitely yes.

Les

Edited by carper

Posted

Cheers folks.  I am torn in honesty.  The Vango we have is pretty good, but I do think the Bradcot looks a nicer finish and a friend with a Modus is always telling me how good it is.  It doesn't look like Isabella have a plan for air awnings this year, but I can't see them staying out in the cold much longer - but when they do launch I would expect them to carry a typically Isabella price too.  Our Carbon poled Commodore is lovely and when it's up I have to confess I love the space but in reality it's far too big for us now.

I'll hang on a bit longer and see if the bigger guns join the race.

Posted

Just something to note with air awnings.  I have one and the air tubes are free to move slightly where they abut the side of the caravan.  With a 'normal' awning the tension on the side rafters prevents any movement.  In one season of use with the 'air', the ends of the side tubes had frayed the 'sacrificial' covering through movement in the wind.

Posted

My big Isabella is too short for this van so we bought an Air Ace 400 last year and are delighted with it.

Quite heavy to pull through but a length of rope helps and two minutes with the electric pump its up.

The shaped front improves the headroom and lots of visitors have commented on how roomy it is.

Must get round to selling the Isabella.

Ian

Posted

Having had a 3m full awning I look the idea of any replacement being that bit wider, the Air Ace is a 3m I think and the same can be said for the Vango Kalihari - both sub £1000 and reasonable looking.

Thanks for the feedback

Posted

Not impressed with my Air awning if you are thinking it is a lot easier than poles it is not, heavy to fit in awning rail still got to peg it down. Cannot adjust for uneven ground.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

Not impressed with my Air awning if you are thinking it is a lot easier than poles it is not, heavy to fit in awning rail still got to peg it down. Cannot adjust for uneven ground.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

That one of the reasons why we got rid of our Air Ace after only 5 uses.  TBH I cannot see any air awning lasting as long as a traditional awning.  As you say, you still have to peg it down plus the guy lines for holding it in place. Easier and just as quick to erect a traditional than an air awning.

Posted

That one of the reasons why we got rid of our Air Ace after only 5 uses.  TBH I cannot see any air awning lasting as long as a traditional awning.  As you say, you still have to peg it down plus the guy lines for holding it in place. Easier and just as quick to erect a traditional than an air awning.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

For full size awnings I think this is what you will find

the supports have to be huge tubes  or they will not support the roof also air tubes by their design cannot be adjusted in height so will only really work on a FLAT pitch

Porch ones will work better because they are smaller so have less adjustment needed 

This is why we went for a conventional Porch awning earlier this year when we got our new one  - a Kampa Rapid and even with my disabilities it only takes me 10-15 minutes to put up completely