Has my leisure battery had it

Question

Posted

I have a Numax 85 leisure battery, starting and deep cycle battery which I found had dry cells, topped it up and put it on charge. 6amp charger and it is still charging 10ish hours later.

Had it or is there a chance

11 answers to this question

Posted

MARK you Numptie - wonder how long it's been dry - a totally dry battery won't revive with just water I'm afraid it's time to buy a new one

Why an open battery ?? why not a sealed until 

Why so small too Tanya are selling 110amp batteries on Ebay for only £54 

A sealed "maintenance free" one will mean that you won't boil off a battery again 

AND

For those motorhomers who use Sterling battery to battery chargers yes I know you must have an unsealed battery whereas those of us using caravans do not normally have that tech on our tow car ccan use sealed and or Gel types

Posted

Mark you Daft Wullie. !!!

Are you guilty of not checking your levels ?

On a serious note though Mark, if you have a mover fitted I'd suggest an 85 AH battery would really struggle.

Seems you may have to put your hand in your pocket this time ( buy a 110 AH ).

Happy caravanning, indoors.

1 person likes this

Posted

Agree with Ray on battery size..my Numax is actually a sealed one so no change of top-up but has lasted 6 years,so far...but had another battery which I have just given away..that one needed 12 hours minimum even from 11.00...........I'd leave it a bit longer and keep fingers crossed.

geoff

Posted

Sorry Mark but I think it ma be time to replace.. Dry cells are all that's needed to kill a battery, or at least degrade the efficiency.

Saying that depends how much you rely on it, I know you don't do a lot of off electric vanning so if you can do without the motor mover you may be fine.

Posted

Try Tayna for batteries as very good price and excellent servcie.

Posted

Guilty as charged re the not checking it, but having said that it is fairly old now.

Posted

This is a public information notice!

Visiting a local dealer recently met a battery manufacturer. Asked which of the Leisure batteries on display were Class 1....he pointed to a European made battery at around £200 and that alone, the other three brands of caravanning batteries were either Class2 or more normally Class 3...which he said was actually more than adequate for use for 'some years' if looked after...price range for 110AH varied between £68 and £95....those with two sets of terminals being highest priced.

geoff

Posted

This is a public information notice!

Visiting a local dealer recently met a battery manufacturer. Asked which of the Leisure batteries on display were Class 1....he pointed to a European made battery at around £200 and that alone, the other three brands of caravanning batteries were either Class2 or more normally Class 3...which he said was actually more than adequate for use for 'some years' if looked after...price range for 110AH varied between £68 and £95....those with two sets of terminals being highest priced.

geoff

That sounds about right Geoff

IF a battery is looked after it should last quite a while the class 3 probably last 3 years maybe four it also depends on who made the battery - a company that goes for quality or a company that want quantity........................

Posted (edited)

The cheapest battery I have bought in recent years was £65 and lasted into a 7th year, a battery I have just replaced was £105 and managed just over three........BUT I do have my 'main' battery which was in the middle range,Numax, and it is still strong after 6 years of maintenance free!

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Posted

However, if it was also flat then 10 hours at 6 amps could at the very best had only put 60 Ah into it, so still about another 50% needed.

Best leave it on a bit longer but unless it is a smart charger watch you don't gas it dry in the process.

Posted

Well after hours of charging I gave in and admitted it might have had it. Got a new 110 and all good I hope