paying for pets

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone just a simple question

if a site is charging for pets should the price be shown on  there web site in black and white not just added on .

interested to see the answers on this subject

regards Martin

Posted

Charges for pets should be part of the tariff at least within the EU

On a website I have a feeling that it would depend on which country the server is in

But a UK camp site with a foreign web server would be silly not to include all extras in their tariff and hope to rely on their website not being on a EU server

Posted

I would have thought it sensible to list the price of all extras. Most commercial sites seem to do this because unlike the Clubs there is usually a list of extras!!! Must admit I don't particularly take notice of pet charges as we don't have any.

David

2 people like this

Posted

In my opinion the charges should be displayed anywhere that is advertising prices, I have found on some CL's for example that the low price is sometimes considerably bumped up by charging for awnings, pets and anything else.

Posted

When I telephone to make a booking I usually ask if there is any charge for pets and on the odd ocassion when the reply has been yes I've asked what facilities are you providing for pets then, followed by silence, and then they say those are our fees my reply is 'that's not answering my question so I'll answer it for you, none I'm jogging on bye'.

Posted

When I telephone to make a booking I usually ask if there is any charge for pets and on the odd ocassion when the reply has been yes I've asked what facilities are you providing for pets then, followed by silence, and then they say those are our fees my reply is 'that's not answering my question so I'll answer it for you, none I'm jogging on bye'.

We have done exactly the same in the past.  Even nicer if you are making a booking for a long stay and then when you inquire about the pets and facilities and get the answer above, you cancel.  We do not like paying the extra but will if it is within reason and there are facilities for dog poo.  By being within reason maximum of £1.50 a dog!

Posted

We have done exactly the same in the past.  Even nicer if you are making a booking for a long stay and then when you inquire about the pets and facilities and get the answer above, you cancel.  We do not like paying the extra but will if it is within reason and there are facilities for dog poo.  By being within reason maximum of £1.50 a dog!

fee should have come to £61.50 all of a sudden went up to £73.50 when we queried this we were told its £2 per dog  and we also charge £4.50 for an awning if it had not been for the fact that we are meeting a few friends there would have said you can stick it where the sun don't shine but definitely won't be going there again  regards Martin

www.woodland waters .co.uk

2 people like this

Posted

fee should have come to £61.50 all of a sudden went up to £73.50 when we queried this we were told its £2 per dog  and we also charge £4.50 for an awning if it had not been for the fact that we are meeting a few friends there would have said you can stick it where the sun don't shine but definitely won't be going there again  regards Martin

www.woodland waters .co.uk

I couldn't agree more, my sentiments exactly.

Posted (edited)

We all have differnet ideas of what is reasonable and what is not! We take our dog out AND clear up after her so resent paying a penny and throwing money into someone elses pocket for nothing. I consider £1.50 to be horrendous unless that is per week. If there are ten dogs on site @ £1.50 = £15 per night x 7 = £105, it does'nt cost anywhere near £105 for a few bin liners. Just one dog @ £1.50 for 20 nights (which we sometimes do) = £30.00, I'd sooner spend that on a site that does'nt charge for dogs and have three extra night's.  

Edited by Bristles
spelling

Posted

What about the sites that provide the bins often more than one for dog poo bags then they need to be emptied everyday , Also many sites have quite nice dog walk areas that have paths etc . 

I also see people washing dogs feet etc in the water areas. 

Posted

Looking at CCC, CC, Cs's & CL's  the amount of bins is extremely few and far between, the greatest majority of sites across the board do not have and never have had bins. Some sites have have dog walks admittedly but not a great many and since 1970 on those rare sites that do have dog walks I have never ever seen any warden set foot in a dog walk and clear up poo. If anyone is happy to pay £1.50 or £2.00 per night that's their choice. As regarding emptying bins where provided every day is questionable perhaps some do but then some don't.

Posted

Hi everyone just a simple question

if a site is charging for pets should the price be shown on  there web site in black and white not just added on .

interested to see the answers on this subject

regards Martin

In my opinion the charges should be displayed anywhere that is advertising prices, I have found on some CL's for example that the low price is sometimes considerably bumped up by charging for awnings, pets and anything else.

WE are now non pet owners since our little dog went over the rainbow in 2011

It continues to amaze me the number of sites that don't show all their charges on the websites - almost as if they are afraid that you won't book if you have to pay for your dog or cat or rabbit 

As far as I think that pets if allowed should attract a small surcharge and the site should specify their rules clearly

Wonder what they'd charge for goldfish ?:thinking2:

Posted

What about the sites that provide the bins often more than one for dog poo bags then they need to be emptied everyday , Also many sites have quite nice dog walk areas that have paths etc .

I also see people washing dogs feet etc in the water areas.

I have seen people washing cars, caravans, awning pegs, aqua rolls, wastemasters, hands, saucepans, cloths and even a cassette!! the list goes on and on. The warden doesn't clear up after my dog I do it myself so why should I pay him for what I do? He doesn't wash my dogs feet so shouldn't expect to get paid for that either.

Posted

I have seen people washing cars, caravans, awning pegs, aqua rolls, wastemasters, hands, saucepans, cloths and even a cassette!! the list goes on and on. The warden doesn't clear up after my dog I do it myself so why should I pay him for what I do? He doesn't wash my dogs feet so shouldn't expect to get paid for that either.

I just thought we pay for pitch ,electrics ,awning . And if we have a visitor to stay in our van on our pitch with our electrics we have to pay for them .  One or two extra people .when they don't really do anything other than use the toilet and may be the shower.  

Posted

I just thought we pay for pitch ,electrics ,awning . And if we have a visitor to stay in our van on our pitch with our electrics we have to pay for them .  One or two extra people .when they don't really do anything other than use the toilet and may be the shower. 

Quite right, my thought was that the caravanner rents a pitch for a given time and pays for EHU if they want it but it is my belief that owners are out to screw you for every penny they can. Provided your awning if you have one in on your pitch which you have already paid for why should you be screwed for more money? why pay for dog's?they don't use the toilet or shower and in many cases people clear up after themselves or take the dog off site and when they are charged £2 per dog is the poo bin emptied straight away for the next user who is also charged £2 where the bins are provided? (few and far between) of course not. I have seen many a family over the years put up a tent on their pitch for their childres and often asked them in conversation how much extra do they charge for a tent, the answer has always been nothing. I'm surprised that they haven't jumped on the bandwagon on that one. I am very picky on where I put my roots down and always phone and ask questions before deciding on where I am going to go.

1 person likes this

Posted

When it became possible to take pets abroad it was rare to find a site in France that charged for a dog.  Now, most of the French sites charge for animals.  As an example, from 2001 until 2005, Le Paradis never charged for pets, now the charge is €3 per night.

I refuse to use any site that charges for pets. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi

Was looking at site awhile ago thought that's a reasonable price then noticed a bit further down on there site started the extras awning,over two people,pup tents,dogs,extra car the list went on. Not going to that site.

I do believe that a extra charge for dogs is ok as they can be a nuisance to other campers. The fee may be to deter to many dogs on site without saying no dogs. If I owned a site I would have dog fees High season and free at slack periods.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

We do not like paying for our dogs as they are part of the family, but if it is a nice site we will pay the extra however then we expect to see a decent dog walk and bins for dog poo that ere emptied regularly.

Posted

Many sites make you pay extra for Children which are part of our family.

Was looking in c&cc mag yesterday had a few sites advertising dogs free but probably have to pay for children.

I think we should all pick our Campsites for each of our different needs and not use sites that we we don't like the way they set there charges.

Happy Caravanning

Monty

Posted

:wine:

IMHO there's no right or wrong answer - sites set their prices according to their view of the market and their target audience so your choice is accept it or go elsewhere.

If your criteria is price then rallying may be the answer whether it be with the CC, C&CC or another organisation - rallies are generally priced per van regardless of number of people, awnings or dogs HOWEVER they are frequently off mains but if you shop around you can find good deals.  We've just had a long weekend on a small commercial site in Dorset inc hookup - it was only marred by Storm Katie but we survived unscathed apart from a bit of mud

:wine::wine::wine:

:England:

Posted

I believe that many sites charge for dogs to discourage you from bringing them without actually advertising as no dogs!  

Posted

Another way to look at it is that the site charge for a dog is a lot less than kennels.  We nearly always put Fudge in kennels and at £13 a day it's a lot more than a site charges.  I've tried to negotiate a better rate by offering my daughter to share the same kennel to keep all the dogs company but I didn't get anywhere....................

1 person likes this

Posted

We made the unfortunate mistake of booking onto a site that charges for dogs, but does not offer any facilities for them, not even a poo bin!  Secondly I overlooked the fact that the pitches are metered and that they insist on using a green toilet fluid. H

ad to put down a deposit of £80 which is £40 a week, but may still walk away as cheaper to go elsehwere with decent dog walk and electric included.  However as it is summer, we probably would not be using that much electric but we do nto trust these private meters as we have been ripped off well and truly previously on another site in Wales.

Teach me to be more careful in future and to read the T & Cs when selecting sites.

Posted

Another way to look at it is that the site charge for a dog is a lot less than kennels.  We nearly always put Fudge in kennels and at £13 a day it's a lot more than a site charges.  I've tried to negotiate a better rate by offering my daughter to share the same kennel to keep all the dogs company but I didn't get anywhere....................

I'm sure the last comment was totally tongue in cheek Gary.! Enjoy the children coming away with you whilst you can, many unfortunately find they have to give up caravanning for a couple of years whilst their children are now " Too grown up " to want to go with you but are not grown up enough to be left home alone. We were very lucky as our kid's very much enjoyed coming with us until they both started " courting " seriously.

Now with that to look back on " Our Jean " and myself have started courting again ! LoL !!

Happy caravanning, indoors.

1 person likes this

Posted

Our dog died in 2011 and we were paying a lot lot more than that for kennels £20 a night was the norm then