Globally and Off line too

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have dipped in and out of T&T over the years.  This time I have been spending a lot of work time in the Middle East.  Also just not been on the t'interweb much either.

I am more than a little bit shocked to see that T&T seems to have lost a lot of it's following?  The pages are empty compared to how they used to be, has something happened?  Just seems to me that this was a thriving busy site and now it's barely recognisable to a few years back?

Edited by N1CKTD5

Posted

It says something that this weas posted in February, but I am the first person to reply - two-and-a-half months later. But 91 people to date have viewed the post. Did no-one else have anything to say?

I have noticed the same problem, and I don't know what the answer is.

Posted

Didn't see this in February or I too would have answered and I am guessing at an answer but I feel that it is 99.9999% correct

Facebook et al 

the fact of modern "social media" is killing the user specific dedicated forums such as T&T as anyone can start a "group" on such media and there is snowballs not sure how many caravan groups there are on there but I guess it's quite a lot just did a search for such groups and gave up counting after 80 and that doesn't include pages and other sub divisions 

Posted

Agree with you Nick.
I find myself visiting increasingly less frequently, because it was decided a few years ago to become PC and gag discussion on any topics which some might find contentious.
Pandering to the types for whom freedom-of-speech only applies if your view matches theirs, and anything else they want gagged because they find it "offensive".
For me caravanning only exists within the bigger context of life and society, so a forum that excludes discussion on that bigger context becomes very iffy.
Good luck T&T

Posted

I don't like Facebook as it is too intrusive in many ways and prefer a forum where I have persona;lly met many of you.  With Facebook people have so called "friends" that they have never ever met personally or in the flesh so I am wondering how they can be a friends?

2 people like this

Posted

Probably because they are all on Caravan Talk.

Ian

Posted

Probably because they are all on Caravan Talk.

Ian

Some yes...not all though.

geoff

Posted

I look in most days sometimes more than once. Unless we are away . I am very nosey and like to see what's going on . 

And sometimes post some silly things . But sometimes need advice. 

We have been caravanning a long time but there is often something that I need to enquire about maybe a site a route or just information about new tech type things . 

We are changing the van soon so will need more info on alde heating , solar panels I'm sure they will cause me a lot of stress . 

I look on other site but still have my favourites . 

2 people like this

Posted

I used to post a lot on here - met some really good - life long - friends on here as well.  Really enjoyed the rally's we attended in the past - especially the French ones.

As the kids grew up and my business expanded we just had less and less time, and weekends were booked solid with sports etc so we sold the van 2 years ago. No regrets but far less visits to sites like T&T.

Just bought a couple of tents so that myself and my oldest lad can attend some festivals over the summer for much beer and music.  Can't see that we'll ever have another caravan - partly because we now have a family house in Greece and flights cost peanuts.

Most of the old T&T gang I knew I still know via facebook, and we get together with the really good mates a few times a year and strangely often bump into them in Spain and the Canary's 

Hope T&T keeps plugging away - always far more social than the other lot.

Posted

I think that are some very honest and true words in all the posts in this thread.  People move on, sell up, change hobbies and I very much understand that but just this morning there are less than a handful of people 'on line' and one is the site owner !

I was by no means a major poster but around the 2005-2010 period I was a daily visitor.  I'm also aware that CT has members too, but have they chosen one over the other?  There are, I'm sure, lots of other reasons but it's a real shame that what I saw on this forum was a vibrant, varied and often colourful discussion and now it has depleted into a handful of posts per day.

The fact that it's now August, I posted this in February and the comments were in May means I form a part of the problem myself !! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes the forum is very quiet these days.  Did you attend any oen of the magnificient rallies that were organised.  We both miss the camradie shared on the rallies.

Posted

This is just one of several previously busy forums that has slowed down, 365, caravans4you. caravan channel and probably others which I no longer look at to name a few. Caravan Talk and UKCampsites are still reasonably busy as is the Caravan Club forum but not the C&CC forum. I belong to a Bailey Motorhome Owner Group on Facebook which has almost a 1000 members and that is quite busy but its a dam awful way of finding things that weren't posted in the last two days. This sort of forum is better but as Gray suggests further up it is the Social Media side that is growing but not providing a very satisfactory way of keeping track.

David

1 person likes this