Fitting Taller Tyres into Wheel-Arches

Question

Posted

Fitting Taller Tyres into Wheel-Arches

Hi,

Has anyone fitted tyres onto their caravans that are taller than the Original-Equipment tyres?

The O-E tyres on my particular caravan are an extremely rare size 185/65-R14-LI93 (OD=596mm) and like hen's teeth in the third-world where I live and I would guess that a similar situation might apply to other caravan makes.

Would anyone know whether the wheel-arches of a Series-5 Bailey Ranger 500-5 can safely accommodate full profile 175-R14-LI99 tyres (OD=634mm) or tyres with a similar Outer-Diameter to these?

I intend touring a number of different third-world states with caravan in tow, but it can be very difficult sourcing even basic things like tyres out here, certainly when compared to Europe.

And although the caravan's O-E tyres still look to be in good condition, they are 8-9 years old. So, along with getting a spare tyre, I'm seriously considering replacing the currently fitted O-E tyres with new tyres that are relatively commonly available.

But tyre-stores out here are unfamiliar with caravans and the caravan-stores that one might very occassionally find would not be familiar with European caravans, so I have to learn the appropriate knowledge to choose safe tyres from what is available.

Bailey Ranger/Pageant tyre specification is based on MTPLM :

185/65-R14   195/70-R14

596mm        629mm

LI93=650kg   LI96=710kg

S5 Rangers     < 1300kg            -

S6 Rangers     < 1300kg            -

S6-Rangers            -     > 1300kg

S5 Pageants           -     > 1300kg

S6 Pageants           -     > 1300kg

The taller tyre size is used on three of the Bailey Series-6 Ranger single-axle models (500-5, 520-4 and 540-4) because their MTPLM increased to be > 1300kg, which suggests to me that the wheel-arch can probably accommodate tyres up to at least 629mm, as I would guess that the same wheel-arch box is likely to have been used across all single-axle caravans in the Series-5 and Series-6 caravans?

It would be so nice if manufacturers specified something like "The wheel-arch caters for a maximum tyre size of up to say 660x195mm" instead of only specifying the size of the actual O-E tyres they fit, which seem to be dictated solely by the lowest loading margins possible.

My proposed use of tyres that have a higher load-rating doesn't mean that I will overload this caravan as it's axle is only rated up to 1300kg as specified on the AL-KO axle label.

Sorry about the War-and-Peace length.

Thanks,

Andy --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS. Posting my research/supporting notes/websites below as some bits may be useful to others.

The Series-5 Ranger's O-E Rims/Wheels are 5.5"J x 14 H2 Offset=ET30, 112mm PCD 5-stud

TYRE WIDTHS THAT FIT 5.5" RIMS/WHEELS :

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator

Minimum = 165

IDEAL   = 175,185

Maximum = 195

TYRE OUTER DIAMETERS :

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-size-chart-metric-by-overall-tire-diameter

OD    SIZE

583   175/65 R14

596   185/65 R14

601   175/70 R14

615   185/70 R14

618   175/75 R14

629   195/70 R14

633   185/75 R14

636   175-14

652   185-14

LI = Load Index :

LI gives maximum load that may be carried by a single tyre. The following range of LI values covers the requirements for many European caravans : 92=630kg plus 20kg increments to 98=750kg plus 25kg increments to 108=1000kg.

Tyres with LI=93/95/99/102 Searches :

I found website oponeo.co.uk to be excellent for finding appropriate tyres-by-size.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=3/van,car,4x4/r=1/185-65-r14/in=1/93

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=3/van,car,4x4/r=1/175-70-r14/in=2/95,95-93

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=3/van,car,4x4/r=1/175-80-r14/in=2/99-98,99

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=3/van,car,4x4/r=1/185-75-r14/in=2/102-100,102

Tyres with LI=93/95/99/102 Search Summary :

185/65-R14 LI93  (OD=596mm) Website choice of summer tyres =  1

175/70-R14 LI95  (OD=601mm) Website choice of summer tyres = 15

175/80-R14 LI99  (OD=634mm) Website choice of summer tyres = 20

185/75-R14 LI102 (OD=633mm) Website choice of summer tyres = 14

Tyres LOAD and INFLATION TABLES :

Where a manufacturer's recommended tyre pressure is not available, this formula will allow you to calculate the approximate tyre pressure for your caravan.

(MTPLM Kg) x (Max tyre pressure in psi) / ((Max tyre load Kg) x (Number of wheels)) = Running tyre pressure in psi

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/caravan-tyre-safety/load-and-inflation-tables

The extraordinary demands placed on tyres fitted to caravans mean that, in the interests of safety, it is prudent to avoid continuous operation at or approaching the tyres' maximum load capacity. It is recommended that the maximum vehicle load does not exceed 90% of the combined tyre load capacity as indicated by load index.

The following tables reflect this recommendation by highlighting in red the axle loads in excess of 90% and up to the maximum permitted for the tyres. (The loads shown assume two tyres per axle).

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/caravan-tyre-safety/load-and-inflation-tables

7 answers to this question

Posted

If you change the size of the tyres, you need to notify the insurance company as it is a modification.  It will probably make no difference to the premium but rather safe than sorry.

Posted

First question

Which country do you live in ?? 

The reason for the question is that Bailey use tyres that are usually easily available I usually give my tyre firm 2 days notice and I get the tyres I need which are 185/70 R14 U96  

They are not difficult according to my  tyre fitters to fit they curse more at the Tyron Bands but appreciate why I use them

Posted

The more common question on this subject regards changing from 195/70R14 to 185R14C and there are no clearance issues there, except perhaps the need to adjust motor mover if fitted?

One other issue maybe ride height of van on taller tyres, but remember in all issues, only half the difference makes any difference.

I would suggest you only choose standard sizes, ie no aspect ratio in the size or 80% if it is. Also they will be C grade commercial tyres and require widely different tyre pressure from your original  type car  tyres 

Finally and should go without saying but balance them of course!

Posted

The more common question on this subject regards changing from 195/70R14 to 185R14C and there are no clearance issues there, except perhaps the need to adjust motor mover if fitted?

One other issue maybe ride height of van on taller tyres, but remember in all issues, only half the difference makes any difference.

I would suggest you only choose standard sizes, ie no aspect ratio in the size or 80% if it is. Also they will be C grade commercial tyres and require widely different tyre pressure from your original  type car  tyres 

Finally and should go without saying but balance them of course!

Posted

Which country do you live in ?? 

The reason for the question is that Bailey use tyres that are usually easily available I usually give my tyre firm 2 days notice and I get the tyres I need

Thanks for the thought Graham,

I live between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Equator and afraid that until one has lived in such parts of the third-world, the mostly chaotic ways of parts of the third-world are simply beyond the imagination of first-world dwellers. Lol.

Even the "postal service" will often take a few weeks to deliver letter mail from one side of town to t'other and that is in the instances where the mail does actually ever get delivered as much mail will simply disappear!

Whilst I have no doubt that the import/export of goods is obviously possible for a high price and high risk, a private individual like me would never consider it without having contacts in all the right places, and timeframes incurred in such an exercise would typically be measured in many months.

I've already given the idea much thought, and the only way forward that I would consider is fitting non-low-profile tyres such as 175R14s assuming I can get sufficient confirmation that clearance won't be a problem.

Thanks,

Andy

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Gary, I will go with the standard tyres that you suggest but must admit that I wouldn't have thought of balancing the caravan wheels although it does make sense to do so! Cheers, Andy

Posted

Thanks Gary, I will go with the standard tyres that you suggest but must admit that I wouldn't have thought of balancing the caravan wheels although it does make sense to do so! Cheers, Andy

Are you perhaps a Andy G living in perhaps Zimbabwe or Zambia?  Can't you import the tyres from South Africa? There is a 4x4 community in SA that often travel through countries south of the equator and someone may be happy to transport the tyres for you.