Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Truma Ultraheat

Question

Posted

One for Gary plese

The pilot gas is igniting but then the main burner will not light

First suspect is thermocouple ,(cheapest option at around £12 )otherwise gas control valve at around £90

But how on earth is thermocouple  changed , fire out from top ? or crawl under caravan and dismantle from below ?

I have downloaded an exploded diagram , but it is inconcusive

Cheers

9 answers to this question

Posted

Gary has not been around for awhile so best to contact him direct.  http://www.arcsystems.biz/

Posted

How about.....

A spider...

Had to take out the burner in my cooker the other day because it wouldn't  light to find that a spider had built it's web in it - I think a funnel spider.

I had the same problem at home a few years ago in a room heater so had an idea of what it was.

Posted

How about.....

A spider...

Had to take out the burner in my cooker the other day because it wouldn't  light to find that a spider had built it's web in it - I think a funnel spider.

I had the same problem at home a few years ago in a room heater so had an idea of what it was.

First thing to look for with gas problem on Fridges too !!

Posted

All other gas appliances work ok , and the pilot  light ignites ok ,so  gas is getting through, just not holding the cut off valve open to allow main burner to ignite .

With safety in mind , even though I am well able to carry out a repair , I may have to bite the bullet and allow a "Gas Safe "registered caravan repairer to deal with it , mainly to carry out a pressure test after the work is done

Posted

Good thinking Rod !!

Posted (edited)

Not expert in this particular item but if the pilot is lighting AND staying alight, it's NOT the thermocouple ( the pilot would light but then not stay in when you release the switch/control  if this was faulty - I know from experience of many faulty thermocouples :) that's what they do!)

It must be something in the appliance and as stated previously gas must be getting to the device so it's in the actual appliance that you or your maintenance engineer need to look. Worth googling the actual device model number though as it may be a simple electrical fault, ( like a fuse? - no idea with this model but just a thought ) or a fault in the remote control switch ?

Edited by coleyjf

Posted

Perhaps I wasn't clear when describing the problem , when I released the control knob from the ignition position , the pilot having lit then goes out ,symptomatic of at least failed thermocouple if not the flame failure part of the control valve

Posted

Perhaps I wasn't clear when describing the problem , when I released the control knob from the ignition position , the pilot having lit then goes out ,symptomatic of at least failed thermocouple if not the flame failure part of the control valve

Sorry, yes misunderstood  - defo sounds like either failed thermocouple (typical symptom) OR spiders ( worth a quick vacuum :) ) 

Posted

Hello! it's me :2thumbsup:

Pilot problems are rare on Truma fires, mainly because the thermocouples 'cold' connection into the bottom of the gas valve is brass into brass so does not corrode. But no harm to grovel under the van and unscrew the 8mm nut which you will find holding the braided wire thermocouple into the valve, now simply clean the soldered tip of thermocouple and brass threads of nut, then replace and see if it holds on then?

After that or indeed before you start!, looking through viewing window, is flame big enough? and nice and blue?

Also, make sure control knob movement is not restricted so not pushing safety valve fully open, and therefore fully in contact with magnet?

On this score, the valve is cleverly held into the base plate by a rectangle of cast aluminium, ensure this is firm and it and the whole valve does not move under the pressure of pushing the knob down?

What I doubt is there is any need to replace thermocouple and no chance valve needs replacing.

BTW, anyone that knows my habits of this time of year should know I'm GMT+7 in the sunshine, back, (suitably bronzed), 8th Feb :party:

1 person likes this