Help with tyres - please......

Question

Posted

Hi, I have an Elddis Avante 524 ( 2004 I think). The tyres currently on it are cracking on the walls and appeared to have been manufactured in 2010, so need to be changed. They are 195/70 R14 95H. Are they suitable? Should I be looking for a higher load rating?

Regards

Jerry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

26 answers to this question

Posted

Since 1 January 1995 Article R59 of the Highway Code is supplemented by the decree of 10/24/94 which provides inter alia:
Article 3:
"is prohibited mounted on motor vehicles and their trailers covered by Title II of the Highway Code:
Article 3.1 tires of different structures, excluding the possible spare tire temporary use
Article 3.3 different types of tires on the same axle, whether with single wheels or dual wheels.
Article 3.4 of tires which include a load capacity index or symbol speed category below the maximum capacities planned by the vehicle manufacturer. "
Article 9:
When the highway code prohibits to mount tires of different structures on the same axle (Article 3, section 3.2 and 3.3) It means, according to the Official Journal EC N ° 129/105 of 14/05/1992 1 that the tires should be both:
same brand
same size
same category of use (eg road. snow, all terrain)
same structure. radial or diagonal
same rate of coupon codes for same load capacity index

Posted

Thanks very much. Etyres don't cover Devon unfortunately.

Posted

Not sure if they are available in Devon I find a company called HiQ relatively painfree

they use service centres that have a good work ethic and are can do my local one here in Derbyshire handle my Tyron Bands without problem and get me spec tyres the next day I just usually take either the caravan or wheels and they do the rest 

Last year (2014) cost me £65 each tyre fitted and balanced

Posted

Not sure if they are available in Devon I find a company called HiQ relatively painfree

they use service centres that have a good work ethic and are can do my local one here in Derbyshire handle my Tyron Bands without problem and get me spec tyres the next day I just usually take either the caravan or wheels and they do the rest 

Last year (2014) cost me £65 each tyre fitted and balanced

I'll look into that. Thanks. Cheapest I've found so far was kwik fit at around £84 for the pair. That's doing it at my home. I wouldn't normally use them but at that price........

Posted

I'll look into that. Thanks. Cheapest I've found so far was kwik fit at around £84 for the pair. That's doing it at my home. I wouldn't normally use them but at that price........

That seems very expensive and being Kwik fit I would be very wary as numerous horror stories about them on the Internet? We are one having being totally ripped off by them.

Posted

I'd always advise to put on the best tyre you can afford. Yes some retailers charge more than others but following Marks Link should allow you to know what size / type of tyre required.

I'm often asked if I sell cheap doors !! I explain that I don't sell cheap doors, I sell doors cheap. 

Happy caravanning, indoors.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd always advise to put on the best tyre you can afford. Yes some retailers charge more than others but following Marks Link should allow you to know what size / type of tyre required.

I'm often asked if I sell cheap doors !! I explain that I don't sell cheap doors, I sell doors cheap. 

Happy caravanning, indoors.

The trouble is I know nothing about tyres. Following the etyres link (putting in a random postcode because they don't cover my area) it gives me 3 tyres. Each costing £46 and a few different pence. Which is best? I've not got a clue.

I hate paying for tyres, I don't know why I just do. I have a VW transporter and always treat it to budget tyres. It's a large family vehicle, one we can throw camping gear and bikes into rather than a commercial workhorse so it really doesn't do great mileage. Budget tyres have never caused me any problems. Who I get them from may and that's why kwik fit would not have been my first choice.

Posted

That seems very expensive and being Kwik fit I would be very wary as numerous horror stories about them on the Internet? We are one having being totally ripped off by them.

Crikey I thought that was cheap. I haven't found anything cheaper on the interweb. That was £40 something for each tyre. £80 something for the pair, fitted at my home.

Posted

Thanks very much. Etyres don't cover Devon unfortunately.

etyres do cover north Devon so book a couple of nights in North Devon and get your tyres changed at the same time :;):

Posted

etyres do cover north Devon so book a couple of nights in North Devon and get your tyres changed at the same time :;):

That's not a bad idea

Posted

Crikey I thought that was cheap. I haven't found anything cheaper on the interweb. That was £40 something for each tyre. £80 something for the pair, fitted at my home.

Apologies but not sure why I thought I read it as £86 a tyre.  Must be the Xmas rush.  Are they mid range or budget tyres.  It would be a good idea to check the brand of the spare tyre if you plan travelling to France.  However either way be very wary of Kwik fit.

Posted

Apologies but not sure why I thought I read it as £86 a tyre.  Must be the Xmas rush.  Are they mid range or budget tyres.  It would be a good idea to check the brand of the spare tyre if you plan travelling to France.  However either way be very wary of Kwik fit.

I thought as much. They appear to be budget tyres. In fact it was the only one that came up on the size / load required, so I didn't even get a choice to go for any mid range.

I have found a local independent tyre chap and I'm waiting for an email back from him. I don't mind paying a bit more to support a local business but not an exorbitant amount.

What is the issue with the spare in France. Are they all supposed to be the same brand?

Posted (edited)

We had a big discussion about this some years ago, about the tyres specified as original equipment by the manufacturer. These are noted on the load plate on the van.

My concern during that discussion was that the tyre weight/load rating was too low, and only just met the unloaded axle weight of the caravan. If you added the normal  permitted loading thenthe load rating was toolow.

After many discusions with the manufacturer they finally agreed that they were not correct. They issued us with a new plate for the van which gave the corrected tyre size.

The first thing to do is check maximum load of the caravan.This should then be divided by two (or the number of wheels on the van) This then equals the minimum load rating of the individual tyre.

My tyres were changed by a size and the pressure was dropped as well, all confirmed on the new load plate issued by the manufacturer. 

Best of luck-- do the calculations and you may be surprised by the results we have done it on a couple of vans and the manufacturers were consistently specifying the minimum size for the empty weights for the caravans.

One other point was that the original specifications for the tyres sizes were not available in France. This is what first alerted us to the problem when we couldn't find a replacement for a punctured tyre when on holiday.

Maurice

Edited by maurice
found the discusion on tyre profiles from 2010

Posted

Following on from Maurice, there are three more suitable Comercial tyre choices, (8ply), two the same diameter and one 20mm bigger so raises van 10mm and may require clearance adjustment if motor mover fitted

175xR14C with 99 load index and 185/75xR14C with LI of 102 are same diameter but the latter tends to be more expensive.

The 185xR14 102 is that bit larger. but no premium on price

Note Searching online you will need to put in 175/80R14C and 185/80R14C and all three require a different tyre pressure than your originals, I can tell you correct pressure if you give me MTPLM of van?

Lastly and most important, all tyre should be balanced, no if's no but's!

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought as much. They appear to be budget tyres. In fact it was the only one that came up on the size / load required, so I didn't even get a choice to go for any mid range.

I have found a local independent tyre chap and I'm waiting for an email back from him. I don't mind paying a bit more to support a local business but not an exorbitant amount.

What is the issue with the spare in France. Are they all supposed to be the same brand?

Apparently in France, tyres on the same axle have to be identical so if you get a flat the spare needs to be the same so that you still have identical tyres on the same axle.  Maybe Maurice who has travelled around France can confirm?

Posted

Apparently in France, tyres on the same axle have to be identical so if you get a flat the spare needs to be the same so that you still have identical tyres on the same axle.  Maybe Maurice who has travelled around France can confirm?

I have plenty of French contacts so have already put the question out  as I have never heard of this one before but with France there are some wierd regulations 

Posted

I have plenty of French contacts so have already put the question out  as I have never heard of this one before but with France there are some wierd regulations 

Yes.
Depuis le 1er janvier 1995 l’article R59 du Code de la Route est complété par l’arrêté du 24/10/94 qui prévoit notamment :

Article 3 :

“Il est interdit de monter sur les véhicules automobiles et leurs remorques visés par le titre II du code de la route :

Article 3.1 Des pneumatiques de structures différentes, à l’exclusion de l’éventuel pneumatique de secours à usage temporaire.

Article 3.3 Des pneumatiques de types différents sur un même essieu, qu’il soit à roues simples ou à roues jumelées.

Article 3.4 Des pneumatiques sur lesquels figurent un indice de capacité de charge ou un symbole de catégorie de vitesse inférieurs aux capacités maximales prévues par le constructeur du véhicule. ”

Article 9 :

Lorsque le code de la route interdit de monter des pneus de structures différentes sur un même essieu ( article 3, point 3.2 et 3.3) Il entend selon le Journal Officiel de la CE N°1 129/105 du 14/05/1992 que les pneus doivent être à la fois de :

même marque
    même dimension
    même catégorie d’utilisation ( ex. route, neige, tout terrain).
    même structure : radiale ou diagonale
    même code de vitesse
    même indice de capacité de charge

This is the code de LA route regarding tyres on trailers sorry but can't show it as a quote as this Fire tab is bare bones

Posted

I have no idea what you are saying in the above post along with probably many other people.  English please.  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Can you provide a Google translation?

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Posted

Following on from Maurice, there are three more suitable Comercial tyre choices, (8ply), two the same diameter and one 20mm bigger so raises van 10mm and may require clearance adjustment if motor mover fitted

175xR14C with 99 load index and 185/75xR14C with LI of 102 are same diameter but the latter tends to be more expensive.

The 185xR14 102 is that bit larger. but no premium on price

Note Searching online you will need to put in 175/80R14C and 185/80R14C and all three require a different tyre pressure than your originals, I can tell you correct pressure if you give me MTPLM of van?

Lastly and most important, all tyre should be balanced, no if's no but's!

Sorry Gary, no matter how many times I read this I don't understand. Pretend you are talking to an old confused relative. Are you saying 185/75R14, 175/?/R14 and 185/?/R14 will all fit?

Posted

Pretend you are talking to an old confused relative.

Just fit the tyre that you are told to fit at Kwick-Fit :unsure:

1 person likes this

Posted

Can you provide a Google translation?

geoff

Since 1 January 1995 Article R59 of the Highway Code is supplemented by the decree of 10/24/94 which provides inter alia:
Article 3:
"is prohibited mounted on motor vehicles and their trailers covered by Title II of the Highway Code:
Article 3.1 tires of different structures, excluding the possible spare tire temporary use
Article 3.3 different types of tires on the same axle, whether with single wheels or dual wheels.
Article 3.4 of tires which include a load capacity index or symbol speed category below the maximum capacities planned by the vehicle manufacturer. "
Article 9:
When the highway code prohibits to mount tires of different structures on the same axle (Article 3, section 3.2 and 3.3) It means, according to the Official Journal EC N ° 129/105 of 14/05/1992 1 that the tires should be both:
same brand
same size
same category of use (eg road. snow, all terrain)
same structure. radial or diagonal
same rate of coupon codes for same load capacity index

I did not translate as using Chrome it aautomatically translates and I fogot other browsers may not basically the French situation is that all tyres should be identical BUT remember in Europe they do not have Caravan tyres but use commercial rated 8ply tyres.

Posted

So basically I am correct in saying that all tyres must be the same including the spare if travelling in France?  It would seem that this may include brand of tyre and this is where it is a grey area.  I have read that on a number of occasions when a person towing a caravan has had to have the tyre replaced, the tyre fitter has insisted on fitting two tyres of the same dimensiosn and brand to comply with the law.  This may be a bit of a con, but unless you speak French fluently you may have an issue. 

1 person likes this

Posted

So basically I am correct in saying that all tyres must be the same including the spare if travelling in France?  It would seem that this may include brand of tyre and this is where it is a grey area.  I have read that on a number of occasions when a person towing a caravan has had to have the tyre replaced, the tyre fitter has insisted on fitting two tyres of the same dimensiosn and brand to comply with the law.  This may be a bit of a con, but unless you speak French fluently you may have an issue. 

Surfer,

Exactly !!! --- just the same as I found in 2010 when I had a puncture in France  -- and the brand and size of tyre was not available in France, this meant buying TWO tyres to comply with the French law that the tyres must be of the same size on an axle.just to get me home!!!

Read the discussion in my last post -- click on the link back to 2010 and read -- even SWIFT admitted they were wrong in the end and re plated my caravan and with THREE new tyres..

Worth reading

Maurice