Residential Caravanning

Question

Posted

Hi all, I reside permanently in my 1997 Swift Silhouette and although I am permanently 'hooked up' the site is experiencing short-term (at the moment) power cuts at very inconvenient times my onboard charger has given up the ghost, and the leisure battery is deceased. I have found a very good charger/maintainer, via the AA as it happens, but wonder if anyone can recommend a battery that will do nothing for 98% of the time but can be called on every now and then. I ask because it will not be deepcycling? as I understand leisure batteries are designed for.

Many thanks

Chris  

4 answers to this question

Posted

All Leisure batteries are "deep cycle" as far as I know but even so do not go for the Economy versions as they just won't last although I would recommend every so often switch the 240 off and let the battery run down 

As for brand there are so many around and you will find lots of people with fixed opinions 

I always go with find the most expensive you can afford and keep the receipt (the last two I bought went back as faulty)

Posted

I've had a standard car battery on my van for the last 5 years - you don't really need a deep cycle battery on a caravan that's plugged onto the mains all the time - although mine hasn't been.

The cheap Leisure batteries that you can get are no different from a car battery - a true deep cycle battery will have thicker plates and are very expensive - have a look in a chandlers - sailing boats really do need deep cycle batteries as the do spend a lot of time between charges

Posted

Pity you are so far away as it turns out we now have a spare 110ah Numax CVX battery for sale.  Not even two years old.

Posted

I've had a standard car battery on my van for the last 5 years - you don't really need a deep cycle battery on a caravan that's plugged onto the mains all the time - although mine hasn't been.

The cheap Leisure batteries that you can get are no different from a car battery - a true deep cycle battery will have thicker plates and are very expensive - have a look in a chandlers - sailing boats really do need deep cycle batteries as the do spend a lot of time between charges

Thanks for that Rune Caster, spookily enough I have just  bought a small yacht that needs the battery replacing so, as I can't be in two places at once, I'll get a decent marine battery and keep it maintained on the van when I'm not on the water. Simples!!!