Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

harnal door window

Question

Posted

Hi im after some advice ,whilst in Yorkshire the wind got up and blew the door out of my hand and it slammed against the door, the result was that the small window dropped out , it is just glued/ bonded in . Has anyone any idea which glue/ adhesive I could use to fix it back on . Im just a little worried that some glues etc can reactwith the plastic ! Your help would be much appreciated hanks Mick

6 answers to this question

Posted

I used Evostic on last 'van and cleaned up with petrol.

geoff

Posted

thanks alot after a lot of discussion with various people Im giving the Gorilla glue a go .Ill keep you informed

Posted

Hi Michael,

I have recently had a new window fitted to the rear of my HiLux truck top by Auto Glass, it was fitted as standard using Tiger Tape.

Happy caravanning, indoors.

Posted

Hi Ray Its strange that you say that because when I first looked at the door after the "glass " dropped out I thought that it had been fitted using tape so now that makes sense .Thanks alot Mick

Posted

Hi ,Have been down to my van today, and refitted the window, quite difficult with the window being in a vertical position had a tendency to slide. Anyway got home a journey of 5 miles and then realised that I hadn't sprayed one of the surfaces with water , you have to do this to start the curing process. So it was back to the storage site to redo , easier said than done as the glue had started to go off. Anyway I was able to push it out from inside the van after failing to pull it off . Anyway I reapplied it and it stuck straight away and also cos it was sticky it did not slide and I was able to apply gaffer tape to bond it . So I will leave till next weekend and hope its cured fully and I will clean up residue left by the tape etc. I keep you informed. Thanks for all the suggestions Cheers Mick

Posted

Well its been a week since the window was refitted and all seems well. The Gorilla glue has set like rock the only hard part of this job was cleaning the backing left from the Gaffer Tape when I removed it . I tried cleaning it off with nail varnish remover but it would not touch it , so ended up at Wilco and purchased some thinners and that did the trick so all done now.